Author Topic: Michael & Judith MAGEE, Drogheda  (Read 3866 times)

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Michael & Judith MAGEE, Drogheda
« on: Saturday 07 January 12 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information about my 2 x gt grandparents, Michael MAGEE and Judith (nee LARKIN) who were noted as living at Trinity Street, Drogheda when my gt grandfather Francis married at St Michan's in Dublin in 1862. (In the absence of any comment to the contrary in the marriage register I assume both parents were still alive).

I have no dates of birth for either Michael or Judith, but from their date of marriage at St Michan's in Dublin in 1824, I guess that they would have been born around 1800. (There is a gap of about 14 years from the date of their marriage until the birth of Francis - must have been some children born before Francis surely?)

To date I have been unable to find any record in the GRO death index for either Michael or Judith - perhaps they died just before Civil Registration began or their deaths were never registered?

Does anyone have access to any burial records for the Drogheda area that might shed some light please?

H
Drogheda, Co Louth - Magee/McGee
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Michael & Judith MAGEE, Drogheda
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 January 12 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Even though Trinity Street is in Co. Louth I think it came under St. Mary's (Meath). As far as I can see the parish records only include death/burials for 1870/71.

No sign of any burial records for St Peters registers.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 January 12 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane

Which county Drogheda is in also bothers Griffiths, the part of Trinity Street I have been interested in is in Co Meath, it was only when I asked for help from the Valuation Office that I got some sort of clarity. I have copies of the valuation of two properties in (a) Horse Lane between 1856 - 1881 and (b) Trinity Street between 1868 - 1881 but I'm no further forward. Looks as if there may also be at least two Michael & Judith Magee's!

However, the baptisms of 3 of the 4 children born in Drogheda between 1863 and 1869 took place in St Peter's (RC) - still can't find where the fourth one was baptised.

H

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 January 12 12:45 GMT (UK) »
for most purposes anything in Drogheda north of the Boyne was considered Co. Louth and St. Peters civil parish.

The RC parishes were a little different - especially for the west of the town around Trinity Street.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 January 12 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Shane

In view of Drogheda's almost ambiguous (Louth and/or Meath) county status, do you think it might be worth posting the original query on the Meath board?

H

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 January 12 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Drogheda is in Co. Louth now, so this is the correct board for a topic on the town.

Burial records are few and far between for RC parishes, so I think it could be a difficult search. One approach might be to follow up on graveyards in and around the town and see if memorial inscriptions are available for them.

Brendan Hall's website is worth checking for details on Drogheda and Co. Louth - see : http://www.jbhall.freeservers.com/index.html

Shane
My Surname Interests