Author Topic: Fox family - Jersey  (Read 5580 times)

Offline Emma_in_Manchester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fox family - Jersey
« on: Saturday 07 January 12 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to find out more about my grand-father (Arthur William Fox) and his Dad (John Ambrose Fox) plus his Mum (Margaret).  I believe my grand-dad (Arthur) was born in Jersey in or around 1896 (& I think his parents were from Jersey too).

Would anyone be able to help point me in the right direction, particularly around his Mum and Dad?.  It would be great to find out more about them.  Many thanks in advance.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Fox family - Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 January 12 00:45 GMT (UK) »
I can see the family living in West Ham in 1901 and there is a baptism for Walter Ambrose Fox, 1890, on the Jersey Archive site, www.jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je parents John Ambrose Fox and Margaret Ann Mahoney, godparents George Fox and Mary Ann Mahoney. If you have a look the others are probably there as well.

The father John Ambrose is on the CI censuses from 1871, parents William and Anna although it seems to be a second marriage for Anna. Let me know if you don't have census records and I will send you the information.

Offline Emma_in_Manchester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 January 12 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the prompt reply Lily, it's really appreciated.

I'm new to this after only coming across some very scant details in some old papers.  Please forgive my ignorance but what's the CI census? (& you can probably guess I don't have access to it!)

Do your Jersey records give any hint to when my grand-father was actually born?

thank you so much again.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 January 12 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately the St Helier baptism records only record the baptisms of 3 of your grandfather's siblings, Hilda Louise 1893, Walter Ambrose 1890 and Charles Edwin 1891. There are 4 children with the family in 1901, Walter, Charles, Arthur and William, it's possible that Hilda died.

The CI census is merely the Channel Islands census returns, in 1871 John Ambrose Fox is aged 7 and living in Byron Rd, St Helier with his parents William and Anna and siblings Charles, Mary, John and Walter. There are also 2 half siblings, Emily Amelia Darling and Henry W Darling. Going back to 1861 there are other Darling children, Alfred and Anna. William and his wife Anna were both born in England as was Anna's first husband, Felix Darling.

Margaret Mahoney, the mother of Arthur William was born about 1866 in Jersey, her parents were John and Catherine Mahoney, both born in Ireland.

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 12 14:59 GMT (UK) »
How about looking at Jerripediaa superb site for Jersey researchers.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline Island Trees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 March 13 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma. I am from the Fox family in Jersey, my grandmother was Olivia, Charles' daughter.  I live in Guernsey now but am continually doing research on my local roots.  If I can help at all I would be happy to.  It would be good also to have some info from your branch, which I know little about. I see it was quite a long time ago that you posted - I hope you get this, then we can begin to fill in the gaps.

Offline Emma_Manchester

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Islands Trees, I can see you posted a few months ago so I hope I'm not too late!... wow, great to hear I've found a living link in the Jersey side of the family!..... anything you have on:

a) William (b1834) and Anna Fox (b1827) would be of great interest (or even their parents!)
b) do you know anything of Anna's earlier marriage to Felix Darling (that 'la grande-méthe' has mentioned on earlier replies)
c) do you know whether either William or Anna had any siblings?
d) and yes, would be really interested to hear more of your particular branch and Charles.

My G Grandad, John Ambrose (your G Uncle? and Charles' brother) had 6 children, my Granfather (Arthur William Fox) being one of them so I can try and give you some info on this branch of the family, just let me know what you'd like to know!

Hope this message reaches you!

Offline Island Trees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma

Great to get your message and to be in contact with another "living link"!  I can give you some info on the Fox family that may be helpful and a little on the Darlings.

Do you want to email me on sal.c@talk21.com?  Then I can email you spread sheets etc? - or I can stick to this site if you prefer though it will take a little longer I expect to get the info to you.

Good to hear from you.

kind regards

Sally/Island Trees