Author Topic: Transfering Family Tree Maker 2005 data, help please!  (Read 10256 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Transfering Family Tree Maker 2005 data, help please!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 January 12 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Copyright -
No infringement if you are taking a security copy for your own use.
Copyright -
No infringement if you copy rhe CD to a USB stick and install from that

Old PC FTM tree data files -
Export as gedcom (.ged) to the old pc hdd.
Copy .ged file to usb stick
Import .ged to new pc after installing ftm
Backup treee data on new pc as .ged AND natural ftm backup.

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline KateW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Gt gt Granny Susannah and Edward James 1864
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 January 12 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ray,

That sounds possible even for me!  Straightforward instructions.  Thanks, I'll try it out on my Netbook with USB stick.

KateW 

Offline JeanH

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • We are all products of our past
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 January 12 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray
Thanks for the information re: copying disc.  I just had a look at four of my programme discs and all of them say NO COPYING or you get your hands smacked as it is infringing copywright.  I leave it to the individual to do with what they will with a dic they have bought and paid for.  Many discussions are around regarding this issue, which is a minefield and I personally am not going to get involved in the pros and cons of copying.
  On another subject, if the person who initiated this discussion has not got the original programme disc, how would she go about putting this on her no-disc drive computer?  This is of interest to me as one of my relations has the same problem.   Backed up the files onto data stick (thought he was copying the actual programme) and then lost the original disc.  Regards JeanH
Yorkshire - Herbert - Phelps - Brain - Baxter - Crowther - Gillen - Rhodes - Ambler - Norton - Robinson - Gloucestershire - Herbert - Phelps - Brain
Suffolk - Clarke

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 January 12 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi JeanH

"On another subject, if the person who initiated this discussion has not got the original programme disc, how would she go about putting this on her no-disc drive computer?"

I would answer that with "How would you expect to install software on a no-disc machine?"

You seem to have forbidden me to discuss the solution with you.
 :'(

kr

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 January 12 18:00 GMT (UK) »
If once a disc has been copied, the program doesn't install onto original machine/another.
That to me means that the program is protected game over.
If the program allows itself to be reinstalled by using a 'back up copy', that is o'k to me.
(Nowhere did I say that I share my program with a second party)
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline KateW

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 January 12 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

My original question was asked in advance of buying a new PC / Laptop.  I reported in my reply yesterday that  had now found my original FTM disc so hopefully when I follow Ray's instuctions I will have success.  Hopefully Windows 7 will not cause me a problem!    ::)    Hopefully the disc is not protected.

Thanks for all your suggestions
KateW

Offline KateW

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Transfering Family Tree Maker 2005 data, help please! NOW COMPLETED, thanks
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 January 12 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Problem now solved by copying onto USB stick and then onto my Netbook which runs Windows XP.    I have not tried to load onto our new Laptop as we understand that Windows 7 causes great problems. 
Thanks for helpful suggestions.
KateW

Offline Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 January 17 06:14 GMT (UK) »
To complete a back up you have to save your data from your old program to a gedcom  - File, export, entire file, "Save as type"  (at the bottom)gedcom( save to USB easy!). Install new program to new computer and open up your usb gedcom. This will install on new computer and new program.
Just in case!!!
My problem that I had, doing a backup from Family Tree maker 2005 to gedcom. Opening up FTM 2011  downloading gedcom to FTM 2011 I had missing files and a lot of media missing. (doesn't tell you what is missing) Attempted several times, with the same results. After a lot of research and trial and error - I downloaded a free Trial of The Master Genealogist.  Uploaded my gedcom in master Genealogist, perfect! no files or media missing. I then did a back up to gedcom in the Genealogist, transferred it over to FTM 2011 again perfect. FTM 2011 was dreadful and ended going back to 2005. I have tried several genealogist programs, I just don't like them 2005 is simple and easy. I had just over 15,000 persons at that time, something like 175 persons missing!!! Good Luck, I'm again back in the market looking for another program
Pembrokeshire St.Dogmaels names "Davies", "Jones" William (s)  and Rees, these families moved to Cardiff, Glamorgan.
Yorkshire, surname "Burniston"
Devon, Somerset and Cardiff Glamorgan surname "Wide"

Offline Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 January 17 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I should have also pointed out. I have several external hard drives. The only ones that have failed on me are portable connecting to USB only. My other hard drives with plug into the power mains and usb, I have not had a problem with.
Pembrokeshire St.Dogmaels names "Davies", "Jones" William (s)  and Rees, these families moved to Cardiff, Glamorgan.
Yorkshire, surname "Burniston"
Devon, Somerset and Cardiff Glamorgan surname "Wide"