Author Topic: Bollen [Bollin] Mills, Wilmslow - Does anyone know where in Wilmslow?  (Read 16098 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bollen [Bollin] Mills, Wilmslow - Does anyone know where in Wilmslow?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Kelly's Directory of Cheshire 1896
Commercial
Kitchen William, jun. miller, Bollin Corn Mill, Manchester Rd

(I think my earlier post put put it at the junction of Manchester Rd and Bollin Walk - Kelly's 1911?)

Re Bollin Hall, I had checked the O.S. 1882 map (historical directories on line) and couldn't decide if it was "Hall" or "Mill" (a sight of the original needed there). Bollin Hall was demolished 1842 to make way for the Railway. But "Wilmslow Mill" was marked where Bollin Walk meets Manchester Rd (at Wilmslow Bridge?).

But the 1910 O.S map (available thru "cheshire e mapping" - brilliant facility) clearly shows Bollin Hall by the Viaduct. But no sign of a mill at that precise location - only the unnamed "Corn Mill" where "Wilmslow Mill" used to appear.

regards

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 11:28 GMT (UK) »
So it looks like the 'Bollin Corn Mill' of Kelly's Directory 1896, located on Manchester Road, may indeed be the 'Wilmslow Mill' of my previous post which the old maps locate close to Bollin Walk's junction with Manchester Road.
 :)
A bit more googling (Google>Books search terms: bollin wilmslow corn mill) produced a snippet indicating that the mill in latter days was occupied by a firm of builders, and that it was powered by overshot waterwheel which was removed in abt 1955 (O. Ashmore, The industrial archaeology of northwest England. 1985).

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Birtle,
Pl treat the following with care - after all I ain't "conversant with the area".

Kelly's 1896, 1902 and 1914 has William Kitchen, Bollin Corn Mill, Manchester Rd
Slater's 1911 has William Kitchen, Bollin Mill, Bollin Walk (somewhere off Manchester Rd?).

Various maps available but none specifically identify/name "Bollin Mill" - outstanding debate whether the 1882 map says Bollin "Mill" or "Hall". Only a sight of the original might confirm this (me - I'm for "Hall" not "Mill" taking the 1910 map into account).

Have a number of newspaper references to "Mills" (plural) at Wilmslow Bridge from 1817 onwards when improvements to the Toll Roads are being discussed

Even so, I'm glad I don't have to decide if the unnamed "Corn Mill" on the 1910 cheshire e mail map is the "Bollin Mill" in the Jonathan Roylance lease.

regards

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 22:01 GMT (UK) »
The 1910 map locates Bollin Hall east of the railway, and close to the distinctly dog-legged road (which on the 1882 map starts by the second 'l' in the words Mill Lade) which heads in a NE direction to a wooded area. Given that distinctive location, I don't really think that the obscured word in 1882 can be anything other than Hall; also, if it were 'Mill' the dot to the 'i' would surely be visible, even if the greater part of the letter is otherwise obscured.
And I agree, the identity of 'Bollin Mill' could nevertheless still be open to question. And 1891, 1901 and 1911 don't help: two have Kitchen living at Prescott House on Manchester Road, the other merely on Manchester Road...
As for the plurality of mills at Wilmslow Bridge (hanes teulu), I've also now found mention of them, in the context of 'more effectually repairing and improving the Road from Ardwick Green near Manchester to the Bridge at the Corn Mills at Wilmslow' (House of Lords sessional papers.... 1845). The corn mill on Bollin Walk was a 4-storey structure, so perhaps it was milling on a large scale - hence mills????
Does anyone have access to a copy of Andrew Pearson's history of Wilmslow ('Wilmslow past and present') which was first published in 1901, reprinted in the 1970s? He was a local man and historian, and might just possibly make specific reference to 'Bollin Mill'.
Birtle :)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 22:24 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this helps?

from Uni of Manchester (John Rylands University Library) website
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0jks/

The John Rylands archive contains:
"Over four hundred leases from Dean Row and Styal in Wilmslow parish, Cheshire, and several manorial records relating to the manor of Bollin cum Norcliffe in Wilmslow, presented by the 10th Earl of Stamford, 1647-1833 (RYCH/3850-4317);" http://www.rootschat.com/links/0jkv/

One mentions Bollin Mills as corn mills near a weir near Mill Meadow.

Lessee: John Hatton of Wilmslow miller.

Tenement no.: 83.

Property: a plot of land in Dean Row now marked out in a field called the Henshaw Bank, being part of Bollin demesne, abuttals given (490 square yards), and liberty to make a weir across the River Bollin from the said plot to the bank of a field adjoining the river called the Mill Meadow, and liberty to use at the weir the waste water which is not required for the corn-mills there called Bollin Mills, in order to turn such waterwheel as Hatton shall erect for turning textile machinery.

And another from 1823

http://archives.li.man.ac.uk/ead/html/gb133rych-rych-3850-4093-p3.shtml

Lessees: George Dodson of Holford, farmer and miller, and Thomas Walker, late of Holford, now of Wilmslow, miller. Property: Bollen [Bollin] Mills, with the Drying Kiln and closes of land belonging thereto; for fourteen years.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Or this?

Page 53 has a reference to Bollin Mills, Macclesfield - and says they are in Brook Street, Macclesfield (about 1840s)
http://www.kriv.org.uk/documents/historical-study.pdf

" Macclesfield was growing rapidly in the first half of the 19th century, and civic improvement
provided a market for setts, curb stones and paving stone, though the houses and mills were mostly
built in local brick. Bollin Mills, on Brook Street, Macclesfield, were an exception, having been built
in stone by Thomas Ainsworth."

I wonder if there was more than one "Bollin Mills" at different times?

What date does the original reference for Jonathan Roylance come from?

Milly
Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Terrific Milly! Re your John Rylands info:-
Henshaw Bank is identified in Cheshire e-maps as Bollin Fee plot no 1576 which is just north of plot 1572 that I mentioned earlier. The tithe map shows that only 1320 (the plot name is just 'meadow') and a small plantation of trees (plot 1574) lies between 1576 Henshaw Bank and, on the other side of the Bollin and mill race, the mill itself in plot 1572.
Birtle

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 23:19 GMT (UK) »
What date does the original reference for Jonathan Rylance come from?

Just found it on A2A: the date's 1786 (RYCH/3999)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 23:45 GMT (UK) »
And if you look at the modern map for that area..  it says there is a weir there..

So - it look like it is in the middle of Wilmslow itself.

The modern map also shows a building called Millbank House...which appears to be a riverside residential development of some old mill buildings
http://www.orbit-developments.co.uk/property-search/Millbank-House-Commercial-Space-Wilmslow-18.aspx

Milly