Author Topic: RAF WWII Bomber Command fatalities  (Read 5950 times)

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAF WWII Bomber Command fatalities
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 09 September 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
Is your Uncle the Taft in this photo of 14 OTU?  If so he trained with my Father.

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 09 September 18 12:09 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that, got Tate and Taft confused, old age!  I have tried to remove the post but to no avail!

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 09 September 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
My fathers brother was in 144 Squadron RAF. His aircraft P4368 was lost night 10/11 August 1940 operation to Homberg. It's at the bottom of the Isselmeer, Dutch genleman has told me it will be found eventually. Whether it was on it's way in or out not known. From same source, I know only the pilots body was washed up. The pilot, P/O Tudhope DFC. He was buried with full military honours by the SS VT (Reserve Troops) Division, later 2nd SS Panzer Division 'Das Reich'. Perhaps shot down by their Flak battalion.   

They were all early 20's. Yours will not be in RAF Bomber Command Losses by WR Chorley as listed as an accident.

I have attached a photo of 144 Sqdn. aircrew July or August 1940. I don't know whether you will be able to see any same faces.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.