Author Topic: Ducie  (Read 10988 times)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ducie
« on: Tuesday 10 January 12 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Trying to locate an ancestor: Therise Ducie (unusual spelling of Christian name) who lived and worked for a time in the UK and was posted to BOAR (RAF Gatow) c. 1946.  Since disappeared.  Must be very aged now.  Born c. 1916.

Did have a brother, Peter, who, as I undestand it, dieed on a building site in London (1950s, perhaps?)

I have found a few Ducies in various sources but there seem not to be any connections.

Can someone help me start this one off?

roly brown
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ducie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Have you any idea of what part of Ireland?

Was County Carlow ever mentioned as I saw and Esther Teresa Ducie b 1919 Carlow and a Peter Ducie b 1923 Carlow but there is no way of knowing if this is the same family.

Did she ever get married, so you could get the marriage cert for her father's name ?

Tara

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 08:33 GMT (UK) »
TaraMc...

It is exactly the problem that I have no idea in which part of Ireland TD was born.  I had already spotted the Carlow possibility - the only one so far.  As far as I know, around 1947, TD moved to France to marry.

The question surrounding her name is still unanswered.  I have in my possession a letter written in 1947 in which she signs herself 'Therise' - there is no mistake.  This may just discount the Esther Teresa line.

eoly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 09:32 GMT (UK) »
According to www.familysearch.org the 1919 birth is for Eleanor Teresa Ducie not Esther. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F1MM-TW1
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,

Thanks for clearing up that 'typo' - HA I must be needing glasses !

Hi Roly,

Therise 'may' be a french spelling of Theresa / Teresa - just a theory.

Hopefully you get a breakthrough soon !

Tara

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Aghadowey...

One other point.  The brother, Peter (and this is as I understand it: I can't confirm the details) had been employed in the building trade, like so many other Irish workers after WWII and, especially, during the 1950s.  It doesn't preclude education, of course; but how is it that TD, the sister, got herself a job with BOAR?  She spoke (I know this) fluent French and German and was, according to other information, actually working in a  branch of British Intelligence before her posting to RAF Gatow, just outside Berlin, in 1946.  Can we account for her education, then, in a family that might look, on the surface, to be centred in a primarily rural economy - and, so Peter's occupation implies, not well off?

Onwards and Sideways, then.

roly

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 11:22 GMT (UK) »
If the 1919 birth registration is for the correct person there is still a possibility she is alive and Rootschat isn't a forum for tracing living relatives.

Offline BRIGHID

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 April 12 14:35 BST (UK) »
my name is Brighid ,you are looking for Eleanor Theresa DUCIE ? Married with a french man  ? Her brother  :Peter  was dead in construction accident in London ?
I am her daughter !!!!! i m living in Paris .....PLEASE ....CONTACT ME
Regards .
Brighid .
eleanor teresa DUCIE

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 April 12 19:29 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Once you've made three posts you can contact roly by PM (Personal Message) to exchange email addresses, recent family details, etc. which are not allowed to be posted online.