Author Topic: "Dover Castle" passenger list from Melbourne to London, June 1863  (Read 7165 times)

Offline kwaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
"Dover Castle" passenger list from Melbourne to London, June 1863
« on: Tuesday 10 January 12 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm new this particular part of rootschat as I tend to 'hang-out' in the New Zealand section.

I was wondering if someone may be able to help me out please in trying to find a passenger list for the ship "Dover Castle" which sailed from in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on 14 March 1863 and arriving 22 June 1863 at London.

I am trying to find a Maori performing troupe who had toured the UK in 1863/64 and their tours. The name of the group was the 'Maori Warrior Chiefs' and there was one of the members of the group who may be my great, great grandfather. His name was Henari Piri Mete in Maori or Henry Smith in English. He was a half-caste (his mother was Maori) and he had toured firstly in Australia before going over to the UK. I believe the 'Maori Warrior Chiefs' stayed in the UK until 1864 where they were helped out financially to get back to new Zealand. A lady by the name of Dorothea Weale helped raise the funds to get them back to NZ.

If someone is able to help me out please and direct me in getting the passenger list for this voyage it would be a great help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Take care

Kind regards

Paul

Smith - Opononi, Hokianga; Te Kopuru, Dargaville, Northern Wairoa; Paeroa & Te Aroha, Waikato, NZ.
Werahiko - Hokianga, NZ
Campbell - Edmonston, Longford, Ireland; Onehunga; Aratapu, Northern Wairoa, NZ
Twamley/Twambley - Wicklow, Ireland; Onehunga, Auckland; Drury, South Auckland.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: "Dover Castle" passenger list from Melbourne to London, June 1864
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Here is the link to the Dover Castle passenger history.

http://www.geocities.com/mppraetorius/com-do.htm#dovercastle1858

If you read the last praragraph regarding the ship, it tells you where to get the information.

Regards

Malky

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The link below has information about passenger lists to and from Melbourne.

http://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/PROVguides/PROVguide023/PROVguide023.jsp

Andy

Offline kwaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi andycand and Flattybasher9,

Thank you very much for those links, I really appreciate your help, I will have a look at them. I am just hoping that the Maori troupe's name will be recorded, I'll soon find out I guess.

Thank you very much once again for your help, this helps me out a great deal.

Take care and have a great day

Kind regards

Paul
Smith - Opononi, Hokianga; Te Kopuru, Dargaville, Northern Wairoa; Paeroa & Te Aroha, Waikato, NZ.
Werahiko - Hokianga, NZ

Offline kwaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: "Dover Castle" passenger list from Melbourne to London, June 1863
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 January 12 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andycand,

Thank you very much for the link. I had a look at it and found the passengers that had traveled to the UK, but the strange thing is there Maori troupe wasn't there. I did a search for the 'Dover Castle' and the date it arrived etc and the only names I recognized was Mr Hegarty and Mr J. Smith, both of whom were the manager and reporter respectively. It's strange that the Maori troupe didn't appear at all - there were no unusual names on the list as might be expected as the recorder would have spelt the Maori names phonetically if he couldn't spell them correctly. So, there were no Maori names at all. I'll have to try and get a copy of the original passenger list but I don't know where to start to get that. Do you know where I can look?

Thank you once again for your help once again.

Take care and have a great day.

Kind regards

Paul   
Werahiko - Hokianga, NZ

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 January 12 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul

The Melbourne passenger lists are on film/fiche at the PROV, also I think at the State Library of Victoria and at other locations in Australia, It is possible that they were not individually named but just numerically listed. Your best bet would be to ask a moderator to move this topic to the Australia Board were someone might be able to help you.

Andy

Offline kwaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 January 12 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for that. I might just leave this link here in case someone from the UK interest page sees this and I'll post up a new one in the Australian page if it is okay to do that, just in case someone from the UK side sees it. I'll contact the State Library in Queensland and see if they have the list. 

Thank you very much once again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Take care and have a gr8 day

Kind regards

Paul
Werahiko - Hokianga, NZ

Offline marie scarth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 16:34 BST (UK) »
Yes my ancestor a high cheif from Mangakahia ,was on a ship with a group of other nobles who went to UK in 1863,check out his diary. I first saw the diary when i was 10 yrs of age in the possession then of the Cheif of Mataraua,Hemi Te Haara.The ship they went over on was called the Flying Foam,the clipper they came back on was the Ida Ziegler or was it the other way round? William Jenkins was a Methodist Minister who used them to make money out of them by getting them to perform  haka etc and took the money and ran!He travelled in First class while the Chiefs went in steerage and had to cadge of the redcoat soldiers for worm infested biscuits!Imagine 6 months on that ship? Slop buckets and all,how he treated indigenous people!Reihana had an argument with him,one old man had a sea burial died on the voyage going over and one cheitainess went mad and ended up in an asylum in UK, because of Jenkins shonky deals as well as abandoning them to a Negro house where they stayed!The group was eventually helped out and feted by the English Aristocracy and not to mention Royalty.One child was born over there to the Pomare's and became the godson of Queen Victoria so it all turned out nicely in the end.When the party arrived back to NZ they raised money to repay Dorothea Weale who was a staunch Anglican spinster who was wealthy through Industrial revolution or her family/ She suggested they use the money to build 2 churches which are still standing to this day in Ngawha/Waimate,the first one burnt down.So this is how my ancestors were babtised Anglican,a lot of good came out of this journey.

Offline marie scarth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 16:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry correction for the year was 1861 for the maori party to England,Check out a book about the story called,Hariru Wikitoria!Diary is in the Auckland museum can be viewed with white gloves.I'm glad it ended up there it was going to be tossed in the Te Huehue awa(creek) as maori viewed it then as tapu being the possession of cheifs, who were tapu!