Author Topic: Picot, Anne Deborah Susan & John Bott  (Read 6368 times)

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Picot, Anne Deborah Susan & John Bott
« on: Wednesday 11 January 12 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Looking for marriage record or baptism for Anne Deborah Susan Picot, born 1802 in Jersey and married to a Jean Richard Bott (1792-1862) of Alderney.  This couple emigrated to Prince Edward Island, Canada in 1822 so I am presuming they were married in the Channel Islands.  Anne or Nancy's tombstone has an inscription "Native of Jersey" and that she was born in 1802 and died in 1866.  Repeating names in the descendants are Rachel, Caroline, Emeline, Amelia, Jane, Charlotte, John, Richard, David & Thomas.  There is also a history of twins in the family.

Any assistance would be most welcome.  Thank you.
Marie Botts

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Picot, Anne Deborah Susan & John Bott
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 January 12 11:28 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism in the Trinity parish registers on 10/10/1802 of a Nancy Amy daughter of Moise Picot and Debora Marett who I think may be her. This couple also had Debora (1782), Marie (1785), Susanne (1788), Jeanne (1792), Charles (1795), Elizabeth (1797), Jean (1800), George (1805) and Francois (1807)

Moise Picot of Trinity married Debora Marett of St John on 25/4/1781 at St Saviours Church

Going backwards in the Trinity registers this may be the baptism of Moise Picot

13/4/1755 Charles and Moyse, twin sons of Moyse Picot and Marie Baudins. Godparents Charles - Jean Witel and Jeanne le Sueur, Moyse - Rev Pierre Joublaire (Recteur Trinity) and Susanne Normand, wife of Elie Esnouf.

There is also a Trinity marriage on 17/6/1821 between Jean Richard Bot and Nancy Picot, the register says both of Trinity but that just means that he was living there at the time.

There is also a baptism for a Peter Bott, son of Peter Bott and Rachel Marie Benest who may be connected to Jean Richard Bott.

Hope this helps

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 January 12 19:24 GMT (UK) »
any relation of joseph picot born 1804 st hellier married a cathering ryan longshot but i thought i would ask  raa

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 January 12 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi there and what a most welcome pleasant surprise to see your reply with a marriage record for my ancestors, John Bott & Nancy Picot.  I never knew until a few years ago that Ann & Nancy were interchangeable in some instances or that they named them Ann and then called them Nancy every day.  The fact that the couple below have a Debora, Susanne and twins in the family also point to the fact that you have indeed identified the correct family.  Their first child was born in Charlottetown, PEI in September 1823 and she was also named Anne Deborah Susan, after her mother. 

John Richard Bott was a witness to the marriage of Nicholas MARQUAND & Jane ALEXANDER on July 23, 1822 in Charlottetown, PEI. Nicholas Marquand was a native of Guernsey, one of the Channel Islands.  Nicholas Marquand was a merchant, tavern operator and broker.  He ran the Guernsey Hotel in Charlottetown.  I think I saw somewhere that there was a relationship between the Marquand and Bott family.

We have managed to trace the Bott family back to about 1620 from Francois Bott & Jeanne LeVallee/Laurens Bott and Marie LeCocq/ Samuel Bott & Marie Duplain/Francois Bott & Marie LeVallee/Laurent Bott & Margaret Herivel/John Richard Bott & Nancy Picot.

Thank you ever so much for all your help and if anybody else has any connection to the above surnames, I would be very pleased to hear from you.  At least now I have a birthdate and marriage for my Nancy Picot, (thanks to you) so that should help narrow it down even more.