Author Topic: Captain Hugh Duncan d.1897 Rosario Sante Fe Argentina  (Read 1983 times)

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Captain Hugh Duncan d.1897 Rosario Sante Fe Argentina
« on: Wednesday 11 January 12 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Searching for any other records form my Great Grand father Hugh Duncan b. about 1835.

Just located a death notice in the Liverpol Courier of 25th May 1897, stating:
 Hugh Duncan died on 11th April 1897 at Rosario, Sante Fe region of Argentina
He sailed out of Liverpool between 1860 and 1879.
His second wife was Elizabeth Webster who he married on the 29th June 1871
at St Marys Church Edge Hill Liverpool.

Hoping someone may have other details around the last voyage to Argentina, or any advice how to track down his grave.

Any suggestions or comment welcomed.

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Hugh Duncan d.1897 Rosario Sante Fe Argentina
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 21:38 GMT (UK) »
My nephew is curently out in Argentina , may have some news next month.

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 12 15:37 BST (UK) »
No luck as yet still hoping for a lead, or confirmation of a burial overseas.

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 12 20:39 BST (UK) »
No will in the indexes - I have tried England/Wales and also Scotland. I was really hoping I'd have some success.....
Worth having a look to see if there was an English-language newspaper in Argentina at the time - I understand there was plenty of British business activity.

For the voyage you should be able to trace him - I've found this in the Index to Lloyds Captains Register: DUNCAN, Hugh b. Liverpool 1835 C25688 changed to C02973 (vol. 18) changed to 102973
(vol. 46) Liverpool 1868 vol.4 1868-73; vol.18 1874-79; vol.31 1880, 1884; vol.46 no voyages listed.

This link might give you some clues: http://www.maritimearchives.co.uk/sailors.html

And this may give you more: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/officermerchantnavy.htm

Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 April 12 23:17 BST (UK) »
Graham, thanks you for your reply & interest.
I have made several searches whilst in Liverpool Records office as well as paying for research at the City of London Records office only to find they have no record of voyages for the period 1891-1897.
As you found the Captains log for earlier years does include ships which I have traced but not for the period around his death - real disappointment.
I then went and checked all the Liverpool Street directories 1891-97 and he is recorded as Hugh Duncan, Master Mariner , living at 235 Crown Street Liverpool - the same address as on the Census for 1891 which just has his wife Elizabeth + children.
I then found a website for British Nationals born in Agentina including the records held at the Anglican church  St Bartholomew's in Rosario Santa Fe but no records for a  Hugh Duncan in 1897.

My plan is to trace ships sailing out of Liverpool 1896/7 to  Argentina , but that might be a long slog to find his name on a crew list unless there are any other routes to try?

Offline jadefish7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 July 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
Just come back from Liverpool and had a bit of time to take picture of Ellen Duncan's gravestone on which there is a memorial to Hugh Duncan, who died in Rosario 1897. My theory is that he went from taking ships across to New York to possibly taking passengers (and hopefully not slaves) to Argentina.The Alec Douglas Duncan, (on the same gravestone) who died aged 5 was my mother's brother. He died of diptheria.
My mother mentioned the connection to Dunoon often. But as she was an excellent raconteur who embroidered things a bit it was hard to tell what was what.