Author Topic: Finding people from the Navy, robert sulley  (Read 1064 times)

Offline mrsericnorthman

• RootsChat Member
  • True, I am no lady but you sir, are no gentleman.
    • View Profile
Finding people from the Navy, robert sulley
« on: Wednesday 11 January 12 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello. Ive been doing research on my family tree for some time now. As i'm not close to my paternal grandfather, robert sulley, his side was difficult for me to find, but after a lot of searching i found them.
Now i've been told that my grandfather isn't actually a sulley. His mother was with a man from the navy and that man is in fact my great grandfather. I haven't been told every detail, which has annoyed me, but the most i was told was that my great grandmother was not with her husband when she had my grandfather but as her two daughters were named sulley thats what she put down on my grandfathers birth certificate.

i find this quite interesting as if she wasn't with either men, marriage wise, why wouldn't she put her maiden name of Norman? my grandfather never asked about his real dad as he wasn't that interested and also didn't want to upset his mother talking about it.

my grandfather seems to think his biological father was surnamed wilson and he was away with the navy alot of the time. aparently my great grandmother did live with this wilson for a while but he didn't get along with her teenage daughters and she chose them over him.

i was hoping there was some way of finding this wilson. i've got other unknown fathers in my tree aswell but they are quite distant and this one is rather annoying me and i'd love to solve it.

if anyone knows a way i'd be grateful. my grandfather was born in 1946 so i'm guessing theres gotta be some records about it somewhere.

thank you
Sulley - Norman - Robinson - Emms - Titcomb - Stone - May - Rose - Grubb

Offline Patdic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding people from the Navy.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 17 12:24 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was named lily sulley and she had a son called Robert she also had two daughters they lived at no:53 aylesford Street hillfields coventry