Author Topic: John Cruttenden  (Read 12285 times)

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Cruttenden
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 14 January 12 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Another Harrison/Cruttenden connection...

I've found a baptism in Rolvenden, 1st May 1832, for a George Harrison, son of George & Louisa CRUTTENDEN.

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline sputnik

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 January 12 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Betty for the latest information.

This George Harrison Cruttenden is the son of the elusive Uncle George whose birth we have been trying to find in the Lenham PR in 1803. John Cruttenden and Frances Fittall also had a son called George Harrison so surely this has to suggest a likely link between them. If this John Cruttenden is the son of John Walter/Walker Cruttenden and John Walter/Walker is the son of John Cruttenden and Elizabeth Harrison and George Cruttenden is also a son of John Cruttenden and Elizabeth Harrison we would have our connection.

The two things I need to prove are that the John Cruttenden who married Frances Fittall was the same John found with his uncle George in the 1851 census and that John Walter/Walker is the brother of George but where do I go without the 1861 census or the Lenham parish record for 1803.

I agree with you about the lack of entries for 1802 and 1803. It does seem likely that some records may be missing. I presume your parish records are transcripts by someone other than you. Do you know if the originals are viewable as the IGI submission must have come from somewhere?

I feel we are so near and yet so far. ???
Hope you can follow the above

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 January 12 17:08 GMT (UK) »
The transcripts are from the Kent FHS. I'm a member of the society & have just posted on the message list to ask about this lack of baptisms in 1802 & 1803.
It could be an error with the CD, the originals for those years could have been unreadable, or there really were only three children born in those two years (highly unlikely I would have thought)

Hopefully someone will know.

Betty
KENT:
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Cohen - Birmingham

Offline sputnik

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 15 January 12 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty,
Thank you for taking the trouble to pursue the matter of the Lenham birth records. I don't know how many children were registered in Lenham in the years either side of 1803 but it's difficult to believe so few children were born in the village that year. Looking on Ancestry at 1851 census records  I have found 23 people born in Lenham in 1803 and thats only the ones who have survived for nearly 50 years and whose census records are available and legible. There has to be a problem with that year's records - either missing or illegible.

I have been putting the other Northbourne baptisms you mentioned on our tree and just to let you know Daniel Kemp and Susanna Woodward your 4x great grandparents are my husband's 5x great grandparents. :)

Thanks again
Elizabeth

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 15 January 12 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

Update:

I've had a reply & apparently many entries of Lenham PRs were unreadable but last year KFHS transcribers revisited them & made a revised version on CD 27.

I don't have CD 27 :(

But I've just had another reply, from the leader of the Lenham Transcription Team.
Over a period of 8 years they "rigorously transcribed Lenham CMB's from about 1558-1837. "
He described it as a labour of love as his own ancestors in Lenham go back to 1530.
He can see plenty for 1802/3.
If I have any more queries "look no further, we can help"  so I have asked for help with confirming George's baptism.

Keep your fingers crossed :)

I think I am your husband's 5th cousin once removed, but I'm not going to swear to that, I usually let my family tree software work it out!

Betty

KENT:
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Cohen - Birmingham

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 16 January 12 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Confirmed:

13 May 1803 Lenham Bap George CRUTTENDEN of John and Elizabeth

:)
Betty
KENT:
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Cohen - Birmingham

Offline sputnik

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty,
Really great news about George's baptism ;D
 Do you think the information came from the CD 27?
If so I might get a copy to check out the other siblings.

I don't suppose any of your records list a marriage forJohn Walker/Walter Cruttenden born 1805 son of John and Elizabeth Cruttenden. We now know he is George's brother but we still haven't proved conclusively that he is the father of John who married Frances.I also need either birth or baptism details for young John. He was listed as born Canterbury 1843 in the censuses. ???

I was a bit perturbed to find a death for a John Walter Cruttenden in 1828 on a family tree in Ancestry. I hope this isn't our John as he would have died before his son was born in 1843. :(

Thanks again for all your help
Elizabeth

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

George's baptism came from the person who photographed the difficult-to-read registers & transcribed them, so CD 27 should show all the new ones that have been transcribed.

Re young John shown as born Canterbury in the censuses...it's not looking promising...
I've got the Canterbury Baptisms/Marriages/Burials/Banns  Indexes, but no baptisms at all for Cruttenden (& only one for Crittenden)
Only one marriage (in 1879) no burials, no banns.
Possibly he was born in one of the nearby parishes & the family moved to Canterbury when he was very young so he always thought he was born there ??? but if they did, they didn't stay there long enough for anyone to die!

Now to the 'possible' burial of John Walker/Walter Cruttenden.
There is a burial in Lenham, 14th Dec 1828, John CRUTTENDEN, age 23. Note: Lenham
But no middle name.
There's another John buried 17th June 1831, age 10.

Could be the Ancestry tree owner just assumed John was John Walter/Walker, they wouldn't be the first to do that on Ancestry!

I'll have a dig around in my records to see if anything comes up for a John Walter/Walker Cruttenden.

Betty
KENT:
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Cohen - Birmingham

Offline sputnik

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty

Thanks for trying. It's so frustrating not to be able to conclusively prove the line. I guess the only possibility now is to find a mother for John b1843 in a parish close to Canterbury and a marriage for John b1805 with the same woman mentioned.

I remain convinced of the connection with John Cruttenden and Elizabeth Harrison because of the use of the Harrison middle name for two children. It's not a name chosen without good reason - and twice?

So I guess I must move on to John and Elizabeth and hope something comes up on the other two John Cruttendens with time.

Elizabeth