Author Topic: Griffin LAWS Sarah HEARN  (Read 6277 times)

Offline Poppy Rose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Griffin LAWS Sarah HEARN
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 April 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hello

The following may be of interest.

Just up the road from Little Dunham in the parish of Saham Toney a marriage was recorded for a Richard Hoy and Sarah Griffin in 1748. (Sarah Griffin was also baptised at Saham Toney.) So far I have only found four children for Richard Hoy and his wife Sarah and no Griffin Hoy but there is rather a big gap between the marriage and the baptism of first known child in 1755 and between the first child and the second child.
Sarah Hoy 1755 - died 1758
William Matthew Hoy 1761
Sarah Hoy 1763 - died 1763
Joseph Hoy 1766 - died 1769

Mary Laws/Lawes later Mary, wife of John Miller, had nine children after her marriage and was buried in Little Dunham on the 19th Oct. 1842 aged 93. It is possible an extra year or two may have accidently been added to her age over the years. Also at Saham Toney is a possible baptism for Mary, 7th June 1752 Mary daughter of John and Frances Lawes. John and Frances also had:
Philip Laws 1742
Philip Laws 1743
Elizabeth Laws 1745
Thomas Laws 1748 - died 1748
Thomas Lawes 1749

Robert, a son of John and Mary Miller, married Elizabeth Wright, a relative of mine.

:)
Gilding, Eagle, Perry, Wright, Twite, Cooper, Gibson and Ramm in West & Central Norfolk.
Littlewood, Bacon, Oxley and Fairbrother in North East Essex.

Offline Poppy Rose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 April 17 23:44 BST (UK) »
From the parish registers of Mendlesham in Suffolk transcribed on Freereg:

Griffin Hoy buried 6th Nov 1781 (no more details)
Griffin Hoy baptised 27th Jan 1782, son of Richard Hoy and Sarah. It must a different Richard and Sarah to the one in the post above. This Griffin Hoy fits the one Trish found in Suffolk.
Gilding, Eagle, Perry, Wright, Twite, Cooper, Gibson and Ramm in West & Central Norfolk.

Offline Poppy Rose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 April 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
A bit more information on the Saham Toney Richard Hoy and wife Sarah:

Sarah Hoy was buried 13th Jan 1773 at Saham Toney.

Richard Hoy witnessed a marriage of Robert Knopwood and Elizabeth Bacon 29 June 1772 and a marriage of Thomas Platfoot and Rose Hill 9th July 1773, both at S. T.

On the 23rd August 1773 Richard Hoy, widower, married Rose Hill, a widow at S. T.

Richard Hoy was buried 2nd April 1786 at S. T. Some details were also recorded. He was aged 60 years and son of Richard Hoy and Martha his wife. Martha was formerly Martha Cock.

Offline Grey Jet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 April 17 01:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Poppy Rose and others.  I had seen the Sarah Griffin and Richard Hoy entry and I also thought it likely this was the origin of the name for Griffin Hoy but couldn't be sure although no other option presents at the moment.

I was taking a different tack for Mary Lors (Miller) though, looking at Necton where Mary Lawes was baptised on 10/12/1752 to Clement and Rose Lawes.
However this family also seems connected to Saham Toney as Clement Lawes and Mary Wright married there on 2/2/1725.

Clement and Rose Lawes' children were Mary, Robert, Ann, John, Rose and Sarah. 
Griffin Laws used the names John, Mary and Rose for his children, as well as Sarah, which fit this theory, but he also used Frances which would match the Saham Toney entry!

Griffin Laws' grand daughter, Lydia Laws, illegitimate child of his daughter Sarah Laws, married Abraham Cutler in West Winch in 1857 and migrated to Australia in 1868 having ten children. (my connection).

Offline Poppy Rose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 April 17 09:42 BST (UK) »
The 1752 Mary, daughter of Clement Lawes and Rose, does look the better option and would explain the use of the name Rose among the Miller children.

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 August 17 04:58 BST (UK) »
Hoping I'm not throwing a spanner in the works, but I'm also researching HEARNE (variant spellings) in Norfolk. 

From census info, I am concentrating on North Repps (red herring, I think), Southrepps (looking promising, actually), and Thorpe Market.  I believe they are about 20 miles from Heigham.  There are plenty of HERN/HURN/HEARN/etc., in the area.

Hello sdbadger ! 

How did you go with your searching re HEARNE ? I'm wondering if my Sarah HEARN relates to your HEARNE family ?? It isn't a really common name, and to see it in the same county, and possible same areas, is a bit of coincidence, don't you think ?

We don't have much on Sarah except the record of her marriage and the births of her children, and her death - No baptism, no parents - so far - Unless someone out already has the info and hasn't bothered passing it on to other LAWS/HEARN researchers

I have recently done an Ancestry DNA test - I'm hoping others researching similar surnames have also participated and have their results on the site

Cheers   :)
FA
ANYON,BATES, BEDWELL, BENNETT, BONE, BULLOCK,  CAMPBELL,  CARMICHAEL, CARTER, CLARK, CONSTANTINE/SLATER, CLENDINNING, COVENTRY, CREIGHTON,  EASLIP, EDWARDS, ELIARD or ELIOT, FROST, GORINGE, HILL, HOLLOWAY, INGLEFIELD, INGRAM, JAMES, JEFFREY, JONES, JOHNSTON, KEECH, LANGFORD, LAWS, LAWS,  LLOYD, LONDON, MACKAY, MCKAY, MACKNESS, MARTIN, MILLINGTON, MOORE, MORISON, NEWMAN, O'DONNELL, ORPIN, PAINE, POOK, REECE, RICHARDS, ROBSON,  SMITH, SPROULE, STANDISH,STRANGEMORE, TRENCHARD, WHELAN, WILLIAMS

Offline Grey Jet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 August 17 04:07 BST (UK) »
Hi - re Sarah Hearne
There was a Sarah Herne born in Pentney, Norfolk, to Richard Hurn and Mary Harper in 1772. Pentney is close to East Winch where Griffin laws and Sarah Hearne raised their family although records show this couple married in Heigham.
There is another connection to Pentney as Griffin Hoy, probably Griffin Laws father, was apprenticed there to a Cooper in 1771.
Regards
GJ

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 November 18 06:15 GMT (UK) »
my family codling, valentine, hammond married into Griffin law g
family. love to know more, jan
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..