Author Topic: 3rd Btn Monmouthshire Reg WW2  (Read 6942 times)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Btn Monmouthshire Reg WW2
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 November 14 07:15 GMT (UK) »
His headstone is not symbolic. It marks his actual grave. It's possible his original grave was elsewhere but his remains were later moved to this cemetery. All this is explained on the CWGC website.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Time vans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 00:12 GMT (UK) »
just found this old correspondance - i still have the 'booklet' i can send

Offline HannahR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researcher in the Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 August 17 20:44 BST (UK) »
The battalion has a war diary covering 1945 at the National Archives - details below.

WO 171/5246 3 Monmouthshire Regt. Jan-Dec 1945

It's unlikely that they will mention him by name but you will have a very good idea on what the unit was doing on the day of his death assuming he didn't die of wounds, there may be clues to this in the diary.

Drop me a message if you'd like a copy.

Hello Drew,

My great uncle was in this regiment and I would greatly appreciate a copy if you are willing.

Hannah
The following names appear in my family tree: Bells [Dumfries], Todd [Perth], McLean [Campbeltown], Newson [Suffolk], Fosse(y) [Buckinghamshire], Butler [Glamorganishire], Jenkins [Glamorgan/ England], Tilling or Telling [Gloucestershire]

Offline Anthonmw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 11:07 BST (UK) »
The battalion has a war diary covering 1945 at the National Archives - details below.

WO 171/5246 3 Monmouthshire Regt. Jan-Dec 1945

It's unlikely that they will mention him by name but you will have a very good idea on what the unit was doing on the day of his death assuming he didn't die of wounds, there may be clues to this in the diary.

Drop me a message if you'd like a copy.

Hi, new to this forum and have found your message. My father served with 3 Mons from 1938 to 46 and after years of opportunity to find out about his service, I no longer have the pleasure of speaking to him. I love a copy of the diaries if possible.  thanks, Mike.

Offline RobHandford

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 August 21 14:16 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out what the cap badge for the 3rd Btn Monmouthshire Reg in WW2 was so could someone please help shed some light on this for me?

Thanks