Author Topic: Catherine Harvey nee Sangster  (Read 9950 times)

Offline morageckford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Harvey nee Sangster
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 January 12 21:51 GMT (UK) »
CaroleW that's amazing. Hope we can prove it's the right Catherine, mother of Lockhart Baillie.I don't suppose we'll ever find out how Lockhart's name came to be listed in the Bible of a family called Smith! That's where he was found.

Offline morageckford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 January 12 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Lockhart Baillie was an Inland Revenue officer. He had three wives. Margaret Telfer, Margaret Blanchfield ( when he called himself Lockhart Harvey) and Margaret McLaren. One of those was the mother of Georgina and George Lockhart Baillie.
(Georgina was the name of the wife of the 10th Earl of Haddington, Lockhart's half-brother.) George Lockhart Baillie went on to found what is now the Royal County Down Golf Club.

Offline morageckford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 January 12 11:37 GMT (UK) »
CaroleW, here's an update of information following your help.
I have looked at the handwritten announcement of Catherine's marriage to Robert Harvey and see it was witnessed by Andrew Murray Smith. A eureka moment! Lockhart Baillie's name was first found in a family Bible in the middle of a long list of......Smiths. One of them is Andrew Smith born  later in 1811 so Andrew was a Smith family name.I think it's likely that Catherine, a farmer's daughter from Belhelvie went to the Borders to work, possibly in Mellerstain House, the almost-new home of George Baillie. She became pregnant by George, then 36 and unmarried, and had Lockhart in Kelso in 1799. On her own and far from Aberdeenshire she probably went home and the baby was brought up by Smith relatives. Seems a likely scenario.
Mellerstain is a Robert Adam mansion six miles from Kelso and would have been about ten years old then. It's still the Baillie-Hamilton family home and is open to the public. (There's a website.)
We've got this far by following up information you took the trouble to find - thankyou again.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 January 12 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

That's fantastic news - glad I could help in some way
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Jenzbiz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 November 13 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am related to Robert Sangster and Christian Gray. Catherine has a twin sister Elizabeth, but unsure what happened to her. My direct line is through the son John Sangster, married 1. Elizabeth Barron. 2. Margaret McKenzie. I am more than happy to share this line. I am stuck with Robert and Christian, cannot find a marriage or death for either of them and so cannot confirm their births. The history re Catherine was facinating to read.
Cheer Jen

Offline morageckford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 November 13 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm pleased to hear that you are interested in Catherine. We haven't been able to find out any more about her but keep hoping somebody will come up with more information!

Offline kay_linds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 July 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
Has anyone come up with a reason why Lockhart Baillie is named in my Smith family bible?  In it he is recorded as being born 8 July 1797 rather than 1799.

I can find no family connections to him. 

There is also listed in the family bible a Jane Rutherford with no other information