Author Topic: bmd indexes in Sheffield?Are there any?  (Read 4488 times)

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: bmd indexes in Sheffield?Are there any?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 13:04 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a Harriet Fowler who had four husbands ,the fist one George Snooks I know a lot about but the others I dont.They are Joseph Crowder,married approx 1863,John A  Turner married approx 1868ish born 1828 in Tideswell Derbyshire apparently but never found him or any indication of his family other than 1871 with Harriett,and finally James Phillips m 1873ish who came supposedly from Blythe,yorkshire but again nothing.The censuses of them all are very inaccurate with lots of mistakes and I have realised that.I was looking for anything about the husbands background via Sheffield links but nothing has come up yet.I hope this helps!

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 13:59 GMT (UK) »
There is always Free BMD. Just scroll down to Sheffield which will filter out all other records.

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Only if nothing is found online or websites and nothing is found by members on this website.

Try posting on this website GENERAL BOARD as people who go to the Sheffield library or live near the archives  who go for books and other business who don't do ancestry may do a look up for you.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/

last resort!

South Yorkshire Sheffield Archives is one of the few archives that have the only film/fiche is I know of, as the Sheffield library come under the same authority, meaning they charge the same as the archives for searches charges that are high!!! with no free look ups and same with Rotherham. Most (Not the old West Riding) as now West Yorkshire (Not all) main libraries have PR's on film/fiche and do free 1/2 hour look ups or searches.

If family history societies or LDS/Beta don't have the info for Sheffield marriages in their index then Ancestry.com/co.uk may have them transcribed and either join as a subscribed member or use a free library edition at most libraries world wide.

Last considering you need to find the church they married at to find the church PR entry of the marriage to have a church register entry info being original or transcribed copies (Transcribed maybe indexed) (Sheffield arn't indexed on all marriages in all church Pr's) is what will cost the most in a search and charges as much as £ 30 a hour or more (With or not a find and 1 hour is not much time for blanket searches), it may be cheaper to buy a bulk GRO marriage certificates buy from the Free BMD GRO index numbers or Ancestry.com  free BMD GRO. index

Dobfarm
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dorset901

• RootsChat Extra
  • when I'm 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 November 17 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Ran into the same problem, although have heard that there might be a possibility of some form of searchable database coming soon?
But there is definitely a shortage of info on Sheffield's Parish Records.
For example found my Walter Clark in Freebdm 1869, but not in either Ancestry of Findmypast, now that is weird!!
And on taking directly to the Archives, they want a research fee from me!!
Any help out there PLZSSSS, Regards, Tim.

If you can give us an idea what dates and coverage also abode or names of BMD's in Sheffield  ??? maybe someone may know! more online resources or even visit the repositories in Sheffield.

Its best to think it out exactly what you want to request for and post all your total knowledge you have  on the issue! then allow the brains on here to start grinding to help you and there are some knowledgeable people.

:)
Family History, for Roberts, Vaughan, Edwards, Slack, Fyson, Rawson, Sharp, Rea, Bedford. Millner, Freeman, and the Clayton's of Adlington Lancs.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 November 17 20:42 GMT (UK) »
What is this freebdm where your walter clark appears?

Freebmd wont cover the year  1669, so its patently not that
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 November 17 20:50 GMT (UK) »
FreeBMD covers the GRO Indexes, which in turn cover Civil Registration.
That began on 1st July 1837.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jayaygee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 November 17 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried this link? 

http://libplugins.sheffield.gov.uk/bmd/Home.aspx

No indication of coverage unfortunately as far as I can see.  I believe the indexing of the local records was done by the Sheffield & District FHS.
BDF Twigg, Ellingham, Gates
BKM Bilbey, Collins, Brandon, Norwood, Smith
HAM Holloway (Romsey area)
HRT Brooks (Tring area)
LDN Saunders, Beedle
MDX Saunders
MLN Maitland, Robertson, McGlashan(all Edinburgh)
OXF Morby, Cross, Gardner (all Banbury area)
SAL Jones, Mathews, Higginson, Davies, Gobourn, Blount
WAR Pritchard (Birmingham)
WRY Dickinson, Atkinson, Mellon, Pritchard, Ashforth, Helliwell, Hague, Dungworth (all Sheffield area)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 November 17 07:17 GMT (UK) »
I haven't totally checked it out, but FindMyPast have the Bishop's Transcripts on-line.  For Sheffield they quote 124,799 - Baptisms, 70,299 - Marriages and over 105,000 - burials.  Dates start at 1608 and end around 1830.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY