Author Topic: Walkers in Meigel  (Read 4352 times)

Offline murray79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walkers in Meigel
« on: Monday 16 January 12 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,

This is my first post here, hopefully of many. I have become quite captivated by researching my family tree since taking over what my sister started some time ago!

I am currently trying to investigated the Walker line of my family tree and have tracked them as far back as living in Megile, Perthshire, in 1824 when a John Andrew Walker was born to a John Walker and Ann Hutcheson. 1851 Census data, shows them as living in 'Logie Toll Bar', 1841 Censs data has no record of a John Walker of the correct age living at this address although there is another John Walker aged 30 (not his Father I don't think as this would make him 13 at the time of his birth).

Firstly can anyone adivse if they have ever heard of Logie Toll Bar and what it is, or if I have read this incorrectly what it might be?
Secondly has anyone else got a record of any Walkers living in Meigle that might link in with these Walkers.

Thanks
M
Aikenhead (Angus, Kincardine), Balfour (Kincardine), Cowieson (Kincardine), Hutcheson (Meigel) Irons (Markinch), Scott (Kincardine, St Cyrus), Walker (Scotland, Alyth, Coupar Angus, Meigle), Teviotdale (Angus), Leuchars (Angus)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Walkers in Meigel
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 12 06:53 GMT (UK) »
There are 13 births for the surname Walker, at Meigle, Perthshire from 1720 to 1824 on Scotland's People. 1 credit would let you look the basic information of all these records. (Should at least show the name of 1 or even both parents, for all 13.) I would think that you would not get any more information from the actual certs due to the dates involved and information recorded at that time.

Regards

Malky

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 12 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Googling Logie Toll-Bar brings up a few references on the web
This may hark back to the time when you had to pay to travel on a road(i.e. a toll)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline murray79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 12 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Guys,

Thanks for your help, I manages to find some additional family members looking through the birth records.

I have googled 'Logie Toll Bar' quite a bit already and found the same results.

Thanks
M
Aikenhead (Angus, Kincardine), Balfour (Kincardine), Cowieson (Kincardine), Hutcheson (Meigel) Irons (Markinch), Scott (Kincardine, St Cyrus), Walker (Scotland, Alyth, Coupar Angus, Meigle), Teviotdale (Angus), Leuchars (Angus)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 January 12 15:35 GMT (UK) »
can anyone adivse if they have ever heard of Logie Toll Bar and what it is?

Logie is a very common place name all over Scotland. Is this particular one in the parish of Meigle? (I am assuming it's the Meigle in the county of Perth, not the place with the same name in the county of Ayr.)

As for what it was: before the upkeep of the roads became the responsibility of local government, roads and bridges were built and maintained privately, and the owners charged a fee to use them. They would employ toll keepers to collect the fees from travellers, and you can easily spot old toll houses because they often have windows at 45º to the line of the road so that the tollkeeper had a good view of approaching traffic. At some tolls there might have been a bar or barrier to make sure that travellers had to stop and pay the toll.

Some photographs of toll houses:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/848464
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/289846
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/205174
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/312044
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 January 12 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure of your facts?
The Walkers you are interested in aren't recorded at Logie Toll Bar in 1851 and the ones that were there in 1841 are a completely different family.
John Walker married Ann Hutchison in Alyth in 1820.John b1824 Meigle was the middle of their three children.
He appears to have married Ann Irons in Markinch in 1847 and in 1851 and 1861 he was in Ferry Port on Craig in Fife with his family.
Hope this helps :)

Offline murray79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 January 12 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cambron,

BIG HELP  ;D

I new about the Ferry Port on Crag this is how I manged to trace them back to Meigle. I never found the Alyth stuff though so thankyou very much. I will now look into this.

I just realised I was looking at the wrong Walkers, although I am wondering if there is still a connection being that John was born in Meigle.

Murray

Offline murray79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 January 12 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Cambron,

Can i Ask how you managed to find three children? I can only find a record for two born to John and Anne Walker in Meigle/Alyth.

Would I be correct in thinking there is a discrepancy in the spelling of Ann/Anne's name in varying records?

Thanks (in advance)
M

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Would I be correct in thinking there is a discrepancy in the spelling of Ann/Anne's name in varying records?

No, you wouldn't. Until about the beginning of the 20th century, spelling simply was not an issue. There was no concept of 'correct' or 'incorrect' spelling. Some people would write Ann, and others would write Anne, or even Anna. The presence or absence of the 'e' has no significance at all, so it's not worth getting hung up on spelling.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.