Author Topic: FRANCE: Gaultier de la Huliniere  (Read 3300 times)

Offline telegraphman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FRANCE: Gaultier de la Huliniere
« on: Monday 16 January 12 09:35 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking information relating to Herbert Gaultier de la Huliniere last residing in St. Brieuc, France from approx 1900 to 1941

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FRANCE: Gaultier de la Huliniere
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 12 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Can you give us more info - e.g. about his birth and where he lived before St. Brieuc?

If you are searching for his death, "marginal notes" on his birth record, if they exist, might be the easiest way to find it.

http://sallevirtuelle.cotesdarmor.fr/asp/index.asp
 - there are some census ("recensements") here, up to 1906 for St. Brieuc, however they are not name-indexed (some 300 pages for 1906 for St. Brieuc, for example).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline telegraphman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 12 17:12 GMT (UK) »

Herbert was born in June 1868 in Jersey, Channel Islands and I know he was educated in Jersey until 1883 when he then moved to Guernsey. His parents later moved to St. Brieuc in 1889 and I assume he moved there with them.

I understand that a death in France is noted in the margin of the birth record however since he was not born in France how would this be recorded ?

I am also seeking any information regarding any children he may have had.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 12 18:54 GMT (UK) »
I was working off the assumption that he was born in France; if he was born in Jersey then I wouldn't think there'd be marginal notes.

However, knowing that he moved there circa 1889 and possibly with his parents, I checked the tables decennales (bmd indexes) which are on that same site, and there is a marriage for him in St. Brieuc (note variant spelling):

Gauthier de la Huliniere, Herbert Adolphus
 to Desbois, Eugenie Jeanne Josephine, 30 July 1897

The original of this shows it to be in fact not a marriage in St. Brieuc, but a transcription of a register from St. Helier, Jersey. He is listed as 29, b. St. Helier, son of Jules Adolphe Joseph, she as 19, b. St. Brieuc, daughter of Francois Jean Marie Debois.
The marriage took place 23 July 1897 (there is further information there).
The original is 86 / 154 in the 1897 marriages St. Brieuc.

also these children listed under that surname (indexes only go up to 1902)
Berthe Helene, 15 Jan 1894 (image 15 / 267 in the 1894 births, daughter of Jules Adolphe Joseph aged 50 and his wife Ellen Mary Wyatt)
Gaston Francois Marie, 5 July 1898 (image 137 / 272 in the 1898 births, this is the son of Herbert Adolphe and wife, marginal notes record his marriage in 1929 in I believe Ploubazlanec, and a second note has him in Paris later on - I think this is a second marriage)
Ada Marie Eugenie, 10 October 1901 (image 205 / 259 in 1901 births, marginal note is smudged but I think refers to her marriage)

Offline telegraphman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your assistance with this jorose.

I assume Gaston married in Ploubazlanec as he was working in that area, are you able to provide a link to the records in that town, I am also keen to understand if he had any children.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Records for all the department are online on that same site, but although his marriage is listed in the marginal notes, the births of his children won't be online. The indexes go up to 1902 and the actual records up to about 1905. This is pretty standard for the French sites because of data protection laws.

http://www.geopatronyme.com/ shows that there were births for "Gauthier de la Huliniere" in St. Brieuc and Paris 18e - the places where Gaston lived (this site only shows statistical data, you will not be able to get hold of actual birth records or first names). No trace after 1940 - but this could be for a lot of reasons - e.g. only had daughters so there weren't any more births using that surname, or they changed/simplified the surname, or they left the country.

It sounds from this like you can apply for death records less than 100 years old (birth and marriage are restricted):
http://www.saint-brieuc.fr/L-etat-civil-en-ligne.816.0.html
However I don't know if they will do a general search (e.g. if they will look for you even though you're not sure of the date of death).

Offline Delahuliniere

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there sorry to butt in. We are a small family from Surrey England and are searching for info regarding our family. My mothers middle names are jean Marie and some of the men have middle names of gaultier. I know our surname comes from france but not sure how comman it is.

Offline jayaygee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 May 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
Have a look on www.geneanet.org - a number of trees there would give you some leads.
BDF Twigg, Ellingham, Gates
BKM Bilbey, Collins, Brandon, Norwood, Smith
HAM Holloway (Romsey area)
HRT Brooks (Tring area)
LDN Saunders, Beedle
MDX Saunders
MLN Maitland, Robertson, McGlashan(all Edinburgh)
OXF Morby, Cross, Gardner (all Banbury area)
SAL Jones, Mathews, Higginson, Davies, Gobourn, Blount
WAR Pritchard (Birmingham)
WRY Dickinson, Atkinson, Mellon, Pritchard, Ashforth, Helliwell, Hague, Dungworth (all Sheffield area)