Author Topic: Abraham family, Enniscorthy, Wexford  (Read 7498 times)

Offline abraham9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abraham family, Enniscorthy, Wexford
« on: Monday 16 January 12 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. New so hope format is OK.  My 3 times GGF William Abraham, Wife Catherine, nee Gill, and children, c. 1822 Mary Ann, c. 1826 George & c.1832 William Bradley Abraham all said to be of Enniscorthy, Wexford, shipped from Plymouth to Hobart, Van Diemen's Land, arriving in Feb 1836 aboard the immigrant "bounty" ship Boadicea..
I have the Family history post arrival but have not been able to find anything of their Wexford roots except for one clue..
Of daughter Mary Ann's marriage to John Kidd ( of Carlow, Ireland) the newspapers of the day, 1852, reported it as "At Melbourne, on the 29th April, by the Rev A Morrison, Mary Anne, only daughter of William Abraham, builder, Melbourne, and niece of Benjamin Whitney, Esq. of Old Ross, County of Wexford, Ireland, to Mr John Kidd, Settler, Western Port."..
Any clues as to parents of William Abraham the senior, his wife Catherine Gill, birth of the children or any connection, of either family, to the Whitney's of Old Ross, would be greatly appreciated.. Many Thanks

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham family, Enniscorthy, Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 12 11:44 GMT (UK) »
hello and welcome to Rootschat.

I found the following online: -

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/IRL-WEXFORD/2008-09/1221701713

Memorials within Old Ross Church for a  Benjamin Whitney & his wife Alicia – but it looks like her maiden name was Kough not Gill.

best of luck with your search

Maria
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 21:04 GMT (UK) »
From ' Houses of Wexford' (David Rowe & Eithne Scallan)
(ISBN 0 946538 46 8 ) Permission granted.
------
Woodlands House Enniscorthy

Features in the house suggest a dating of about 1800.
It was a Whitney home, and is now owned by the Suttons.
The Whitneys owned 500 Irish acres, and were a hospitable family.
In their time the large field in front of the house was used for polo.
The last of the Whitneys, Benjamin, was reputedly a drinker with a flamboyant lifestyle.
He sold off much of the land. The story is that in a drunken haze he fell on a chisel which caused such damage that he had to be sent to hospital in Dublin. He married his nurse. The Whitneys emigrated to America, and in 1919, Suttons bought the house.
=====
Jack

Offline abraham9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jack.. working along the Whitney line now..I think you may be referring to a Benjamin William Keough Whitney b.c1810 d 1886. A bachelor farmer till 1855 when he married Anastasia Whitly..
With a birth of 1810, not sure he fits a timeline long enough to be Mary Ann Abraham's Uncle but perhaps his father, also a Benjamin, b.circa 1875 d. 1851 & married to a Felicea Keogh ?    As yet however, have seen no Abraham or Gill connection to either Benjamin senior ( or his 2 brothers 1 sister) or junior ( with his 2 brothers 1 sister) though only obtained the bulk of this detail in last 24 hours ( with the great assistance of an Irish researcher)
Appreciate greatly your advice of the anecdote, all builds the yarn if this proves to be Mary Ann's Uncle (or cousin) and I'll look now for any history on the Woodlands property.. again, Many Thanks.

Offline pollypop01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 February 17 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I would be most interested in your Whitney research. I am decended from the Elmes family from Old Ross Wexford.I have been researching the Elmes family for some years now and have found that they were heavily intermarried with a number of old Anglo Irish family's such as the Koughs, Lett, Robinsons, and the Whitneys along with the Giffords and Glascotts. I have been involved with a couple of other family researchers looking into the aforementioned  family's and we see the Whitneys appear quite often marrying to to them and vice versa. A good read are the Elmes letters. They are available online, they mention the Elmes Whitney connection. The Keoughs you mention are decendants of Thomas Keough and Dorothy Elmes. I have a tree if you are interested.

Best regards
Paul

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 February 17 12:30 GMT (UK) »

Offline pollypop01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 February 17 12:50 GMT (UK) »

Offline Kough9

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 August 17 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,
My cousin and I have been researching the various Kough families of New Ross, Co. Wexford in an attempt to find the background of our great grandfather, Henry Kough, who married at St Mary's, New Ross in 1820. From family tradition, it seems that Henry was of Palatine descent.

I would be interested in the family tree you have, if possible.

Patricia

Offline LearyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 August 17 14:26 BST (UK) »

a variation of the name Kough as Cook is listed here:
http://www.irishpalatines.org/about/name.html