Author Topic: Birth lookup please John Eggett  (Read 8345 times)

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth lookup please John Eggett
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

I've been having a look for your John Eggett but not having much luck.

The one you mentioned earlier, John Elgate looked a good bet, but I found a burial for him on 22 August 1727 at Yarmouth, son of John and Mary.

I know what you mean about the Great Yarmouth PR's ... oh dear, it's so frustrating - and the ADT's around that time are just as bad, so yes it's possible he's there but not see-able.

I don't see why the Narborough John couldn't be yours.
I couldn't find a burial for him, nor a later marriage.

Just one other thought - I saw that John Eggett and Lydia were married by licence - have you looked for it?  You never know, it may give some clues.

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline berkeley

• RootsChat Senior
  • HMS Berkeley-Dieppe-Aug-19-1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 21:29 GMT (UK) »
 Hi, just a thought, but instead of walking, Narbourgh is not far from the Great Ouse, which flows to the sea. I think he would have been more likely, to have sailed to Yarmouth, than walked, is there any info, that he was a possible mariner. He could have gone from Narbourgh, to GY, all the way, by boat,the river Nar feeds the Ouse, it is 160 miles approx by road. Dave.

Oh dear, should have checked before posting, it should be 60miles
              as you said, and not my misprint of 160miles. 

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 November 14 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

If you haven't already got it Jan, here's the Marriage Bond for John Eggett and Lydia Winn.
Nothing terribly helpful though ...

I see the other bondsman was John Brown who was also a witness at their marriage.
Might be worth investigating any links with him and his family, though with a name like that it won't be easy!

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01e8y/

Yorkslass

Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 November 14 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you berkeley and Yorkslass. I hadn't thought of travelling to Yarmouth by boat as berkely suggested and thought that made the Narborough birth a possibility. But Yorkslass- your copy of the marriage licence was far from "Nothing terribly helpful though ."
It gave the information that John Eggett was a shipwright. Presumably he served an apprenticeship for this which means he must have spent the preceding 7 or so years in Yarmouth. I also found him on this list of the freemen of Yarmouth -although he isn't on there in earlier or later years. http://www.origins.org.uk/genuki/NFK/places/y/yarmouth/poll1777.shtml
So -he may have been born in Narborough or he may be another "bottom of the page" St Nicholas baptism. The Narborough names John and Susan aren't much help. John Eggett and Lydia Winn ,his wife named their first four children John and Lydia, then used the names of Lydia's father and sister-James and Sarah, but not her mother Margaret.Other children were George, Ann and Michael so no more clues there.
But -I do know he was a shipwright, which I'm very pleased about so thank you once again Yorkslass!  :)

Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I think I've found the link between John Browne and John Eggett. In 1753 Lydia Winn's older sister Deborah married John Browne. I presume it was the same John Browne, though it's not certain of course.
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk

Offline Poppy Rose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jan

Just to make researching even more difficult, in Norfolk, Leggett, (and other spellings), is often a variation of the surname. I see in Gt. Y. Lydia, a daughter of John and Lydia, was buried in 1763 as Leggatt. (see FreeReg)

There is a John and Hannah having two children baptised in Gt. Y. but I cannot see a son John at present:
1726 Robert of John and Hannah Leggat
1730 Hanna of Jn and Hanna Leggit
Hannah Leggat aged 88 the widow of this John was buried in Norwich in 1791 (all on FreeReg)

Hope this helps  :)
Gilding, Eagle, Perry, Wright, Twite, Cooper, Gibson and Ramm in West & Central Norfolk.
Littlewood, Bacon, Oxley and Fairbrother in North East Essex.

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Poppy Rose that seems like a good line of enquiry. I found the birth and burial of the 1763 Lydia along with their other children on the Norfolk Transcription archive. I've found various spellings-Eggatt/Agate/Aggett/Eggot etc, but never tried Leggett.
The birth dates of Robert and Hannah would make them possible siblings.

I've just had a look and found John Leggett baptised 14 October 1722. there is also Thomas 1723/4 -both born to John and Hannah. I also found the burial of baby Lydia-her parents are definitely "my" John and Lydia.

It seems possible that John and Hannah were John Eggett's parents, though it does make him 10-13 years older than I thought. 39 when he married and 84 when he died so I'm not certain. Opinions please! :-\
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 14:47 GMT (UK) »
I found John Eggett, shipwright, listed here http://www.origins.org.uk/genuki/NFK/places/y/yarmouth/poll1777.shtml
Also listed are John LEGGETT shipwright, his son John jnr, mariner and son Robert shipwright.
I don't expect John  got 2 votes for different spellings so I think the Leggetts must be another family.
Lydia's burial in 1763 as Leggett may just have been a parish clerk's error.
Shame-it all fitted so well! I'm still open to suggestions though-ever hopeful! ::)

Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex

Offline EyeDoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 18:22 BST (UK) »
I am also interested in Eggett family & I came across an entry that may help in the search for the origin of John Eggett shipwright husband of Lydia Winn ?

Benjamin EGGETT mariner of Gorleston (near Yarmouth) mariner was father of John Eggett apprenticed to Samuel Jennip shipwright in 1717

Gen Soc on line find

SOG Vol  
SOG Page  
I R1 Reference Volf Folio  
45 f 78    
Year of Indenture  
Apprentice Surname  
EGGETT    
Apprentice Forename  
John    
Parent First  
Benjamin