Author Topic: Birth lookup please John Eggett  (Read 8328 times)

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth lookup please John Eggett
« on: Monday 16 January 12 18:17 GMT (UK) »
John Eggett married Lydia Winn (1739-1808)in St Nicholas church Yarmouth on 3rd Feb 1761 and was buried on 13th April 1806.
IGI give a suggested birth of 1744 in Yarmouth together with his marriage record, but there are no further details and Freereg have the marriage but no birth.
The Norfolk transcription archive has details of the children of John and Lydia with Eggettt spelled in a range of ways( Agate, Aggett, Egot etc) but no birth for John.
Ancestry has nothing relevant at all.
Please can anyone help or suggest where else I could look?
Thank you -Jan
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Birth lookup please John Eggett
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Diddy -I'd heard of this site before but never found it. I've used it to confirm their marriage which states both "of this parish", but I'm not sure how to go about finding John's birth. Do I just plunge in and read everything from about 1734-44 (assuming that he was baptised here)or is there some kind of index?
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 13:04 GMT (UK) »
unfortunately its only organised by place not surname - and no index. worth looking through Yarmouth anyway unless someone comes up with local PR knowledge..

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 13:06 GMT (UK) »
where did you get the death from - wonder whether the PRs death would give age?

Diddy

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 13:22 GMT (UK) »
have had a look at the PR burials - and unfortunately after 8 April - June they are water damaged adn missing - you want the 13th April!! Sods law - all deaths have age which would have helped.

Diddy

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 14:13 GMT (UK) »
You genius! I'd got the death from family search but I just checked Freereg which also gives the age -71. That means he must have been born about 1735 or possibly 1734. Still a lot of checking but at least the field is a bit narrower -all I need now is a few days with nothing else to do!
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 November 14 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Just an update on this one-I took Diddymiller's advice and link,and trawled through the St Nicholas PRS for 1732-36. Nothing definite and enough water-damage especially at the tops and bottoms of the pages to convince me that John Eggett could easily be in hiding! There was one possibilty- the surname ELGATE which I hadn't seen among the various spelling of Eggett. There is a John-son of John and Mary baptised 28 May 1727-hmm-possible perhaps.
It's quite likely that John Eggett's father was also John, since they named their first 2 sons John (followed by James -the name of Lydia's father.)
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Birth lookup please John Eggett -a possible baptism?
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 November 14 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I found a record on Familysearch " John Eggate baptised 6 May 1733 son of John Eggate and Susan his wife" . I t said Norwich but when I looked at the original and managed to decipher the parish it was Narborough (Narburgh).
The age would fit as does the father's name. Narborough is 54 miles from Great Yarmouth. What do people think-am I clutching at straws- given that i've already said that some of the Yarmouth records are water damaged? Would he - or his parents have walked to Yarmouth to work? I'm undecided.
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex