Author Topic: Minnie Elizabeth Wild marriage pancras area  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Mygenes2006

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Minnie Elizabeth Wild marriage pancras area
« on: Tuesday 17 January 12 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi, have been trying to find this wedding for some time but to no avail.

In 1901 Minnie Elizabeth Wild (mis entered as Wilds), is living with her mother Mary in St Pancras, she is born in 1875 (but gives her birth as being 1877) and she gives her birth place as hampstead but I know she was born in Chalk Farm, St Pancras, they are living in St Pancras during the time of the census and her family have lived there since before she was born. 

Both she and her mother are living on their own means, which is a bit of a mystery as her father didn't leave the family well provided for, although he should have done as at one point his family owned a lot of property in London.  He died in 1879 and his widow ran a boarding house so she must have made money from that, unless she was left money by another family member or one of her children or siblings were supporting them.

In 1911 she is now married but widowed.  She has a son called Montague Esmond and he was born in the June Qtr of 1904 in St Pancras.  She states her name is Minnie Elizabeth Esmund, that she has completed 14 years of marriage.  She is living on her own means.  She now gives her birth as being in 1879 so has lost another two years! but her mother was always doing that on each census.  Again she is living on her own means.

If anyone can find a marriage for her, a death for her mother and a death for her husband I would be very grateful.   Thanks in advance.  MyGenes
Derrick, Dudley, Quince, Swaby, Wild,

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Minnie Elizabeth Wild marriage pancras area
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Have you searched freebmd.org.uk?June Quarter 1875 Pancras 1b 133
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Mygenes2006

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi that is her birth, which I was aware of but I am looking for her marriage.  Thanks for that information though, it confirms that she kept changing her age!.  I forgot to say that her mother may have used the name Ash, as her maiden name was Mary Ash and we have never found a marriage between her and James Wild, however she does use the name Wild in the 1891 and 1901 Census's.  Also double checked and Mary was living on her own means in 1891 as well.  Thanks once again, MyGenes

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Information on the census is only as good as what was given - so if she hadn't been married but had chosen to call herself a widow, then so be it.  The fact that she gives herself as having been married 14 years when she was still with her mother 10 years before suggests that the marriage probably never took place.

Montague's birth is on freebmd.rootsweb.com as "Esmund" but the only entries for that spelling in England/Wales are his birth, his marriage, his kids, etc.  I think you need his birth certificate to find out what was (supposedly) going on.

What was address at which the family were living in 1901?
http://www.historicaldirectories.org - here if you search for Esmund Mrs it appears she was using that name:
1906, 1907, 1908 directory: 22 Yale Court, Honeybourne Road, Hampstead
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mygenes2006

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, she was living at 110 Fortess Road, St Pancras, in 1901.  In 1911 she is living at 194 Camden road, Camden town.  Thanks for the suggestions, I think its quite likely that she told a white lie so to speak! 

I will take a look at that link, it could be very useful as I had a lot of ancestors that came from London.  Thanks for all your help.

Offline jj74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
Did you ever find what happened to Minnie ? Did she actually marry and what was the mystery around the Esmond / Esmund surname?

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
Did Montague 1904, stated as a grocer on cert, marry Violet Ellen Turner on 16/09/1928 if so his father is stated as Montague Esmund occupation private secretary, could politics be involved with Montague senior.

The house in Camden Road is still there, looks a large property

Offline jj74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 15:45 BST (UK) »
 Montague "Jnr" did marry Violet. So who was Montague "Snr"? and why was he living at the Camden address with Minnie if they weren't married?