Author Topic: Channel Is births 1785-1800  (Read 1906 times)

Offline shima

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Channel Is births 1785-1800
« on: Tuesday 17 January 12 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if there are any birth records for a Mary Menzies b about 1791. I841 census says she was born on one of the islands but not Jersey. Any suggestions where to look are welcomed.
Thanks all,
Shima

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Channel Is births 1785-1800
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

I can't see an 1841 CI entry for her.

Is Menzies her birth surname and she is under a married surname in 1841?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline shima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 January 12 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,
She was on the 1841 census as Mary Lister -husband John retired on half Pay with 3 children , living in St Lawrence Jersey. The census implies she was born in the islands but not Jersey. Her maiden name was Mary Ann Menzies father Alexander.

Thank you for your reply and interest in my search.
Regards,
Jackie

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 January 12 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie

Looking at the 1841 entry - it shows N against Mary's entry.  I honestly don't know for certain whether that means she wasn't born in the Channel Islands at all - or just not in Jersey

If I stick my neck out - I would say she wasn't born in the CI

The entry shows her as 35 so birthyear between 1802 and 1806

Did she die before 1851 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline shima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 January 12 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Mary Ann Menzies was born about 1795 according to her marriage record in St Peter Sheffield Yorkshire in 1812. They seem to have give her fewer years on the census. John was born 1788 and became a Royal Marine in 1805. The family lived here then came to Canada about 1841. John died in New Brunswick 1859 and Mary died earlier. Unfortunately there are no records this early in Canada. I had hoped to find them on the NB 1851 census but the records for where they lived didn't survive. My main goal is to find John's parents and as I only have a birthdate on his burial stone of 1788 to go by I was hoping to try Mary's side for clues.
On the 1841 census it clearly says E for John and his daughter and Y for 2 of the children , that's why I thought the N for mary meant born on the islands but not this one.  Not sure at this point if knowing more about her will help me other than interest sake, but maybe she was born into a navy family as well and that is how they met. There are no records of them arriving in Canada. I'm not sure what records might exist for them on Jersey. He probably had many sailing friends and just hitched a ride with his family to Canada.
Thanks again for your interest Carole.
Jackie