Author Topic: Michael Lynch and Margaret Brady m1876 Mullingar  (Read 18961 times)

Offline jimmiedalch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Lynch and Margaret Brady m1876 Mullingar
« Reply #27 on: Friday 02 May 14 04:38 BST (UK) »
Bridget Dougherty  should never have been in the picture and now it's obvious to me that the real mother of Mary Pentland, possibly Julia, is the American connection.

Offline AirtinHame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 02 May 14 12:04 BST (UK) »
It appears to me that the Mary who married John Lynch was the daughter of Henry Pentland and his wife Julia. There is a civil marriage entry (Register of Births, Deaths and Marriages Ireland, Dublin South Marriages V2 #628 Jul - Sep 1899. John Lynch & Mary Bridget Pentland.) and also the RC record from St Mary's, Haddington Road, which would confirms her parentage.

On the family search website there are five user submitted genealogies (http://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/33N5-7SL), all of which appear to mirror each other but
try to shoehorn the facts into the scenario in which Matthew Pentland is Mary's father which we have now disproved. It does, however also give specific dates and places for John Lynch's birth and death. Clearly 24 July 2014 is an error for his birth but Rathganny, Westmeath, Ireland seems too specific to have been imagined and his death in 1934 in Dublin Ireland points to possibilities for further information on his parentage from civil records.

The difficulty with Henry Pentland and his wife Julia is that they were, if the marriage record is accurate in tense, living in Athboy in 1899 but there are no Pentlands in Athboy in 1901. there is an alternative spelling for Pentland, Pentleton which produces a result in 1901: Mary Cassidy, widow of George Pentleton and her son George but over the three generations of the family I have identified in Athboy there was no use of the forename Henry.

There is also some evidence of Pentlands and Pentletons being recorded as Pendleton and there is one Henry Pendleton recorded in the Tithe Applotments in 1830 a Lower Drumgill, Meath. More than that I have yet to find but will come back to you if I have any success.

Offline jimmiedalch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 05 May 14 07:44 BST (UK) »
Just discovered that Mary is named as Mary Anne Pendleton on my fathers birth certificate. Confusing as her name is clearly stated as Mary Pentland on her marriage record. Anyway I am still unable to trace her.

Offline AirtinHame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 05 May 14 08:26 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, the name confusion does not surprise me. The problem it produces is that she may have been either a Pentland or a Pendleton and they are not necessarily the same family. There is the added confusion that Pentleton, Pentelton and Pendelton are all used interchangeably by clerks. Some search engines pick up Pendleton/Pentleton/Pedelton/Pentelton in a single search, others do not and very few see any of them as an alternative to Pentland.

I am not quite clear on what you men by "the American connection". Is there some proof that Mary Pentland, daughter of Henry and Julia emigrated? Or have I missed the point completely and are you tying to establish a connection from the USA back to Ireland?

Offline jimmiedalch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 05 May 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
No, Mary Pentland, my grandmother,  never emigrated she lived most of her life in Dublin and died there c1958. A cousin of mine researched the family history and as a result made a visit to USA where she said she met the descendants of Mary's parents whoever they may be. Unfortunately my cousin doesn't wish to share this information with me and I am unsure whether these parents were Henry and Julia Pentland and indeed if they were Mary's biological parents.

Mary's age is recorded as 23 and 33 in the 1901 & 1911 Irish censuses which would mean she was born in 1887/8 but despite extensive searches the closest matches I can get is 1881. Anyway I beginning to doubt that I'l ever find her.

Kind regards

Jimmie

Offline AirtinHame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Lynch and Margaret Brady m 1876 Mullingar
« Reply #32 on: Monday 05 May 14 10:31 BST (UK) »
I may ahve other information which will help your search. This link http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/boardinfo.aspx?p=surnames.pentland will give you my email address. Drop me a line and we can see how else I can help.

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 21:49 BST (UK) »
Roman Catholic Church records for St. Andrew's parish show the marriage of Matthew Pentland of 16 Crompton Court; father John Pentland, mother Bridget of 16 Crampton Road and Bridget Dougherty of 21 Anglesea St; father Christopher Dougherty, mother Mary on 7 November 1880.
church of Ireland.

For what it's worth, John Pentland married to Bridget..... according to the records it is Bridget Smyth/Smith.

Offline jimmiedalch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 05:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roxanna but Mathew Pentland and Bridget Dougherty have been proved not to be the parents of the Mary Pentland I'm seeking.

Offline beprint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 13 September 21 10:26 BST (UK) »
I believe Julia went to New York and married a Mr. Blanchard.

I saw records that say Mary Pentland's father was a member of the Dublin Metropolitan Police.