Author Topic: Lost house  (Read 3409 times)

Offline kenace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lost house
« on: Wednesday 18 January 12 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my 6 x g g father was married in Bolton le Sands. On the records it gives him as living at Rishton House in the parish of Bolton le Sands in 1735. Has anyone any idea how i might be able to find any info on the house in question. Thanks, Ken,

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Gt Grandmother-Margaret Dickenson
    • View Profile
Re: Lost house
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Can't see a Rishton House in Bolton le Sands.However perhaps the Lancashire Records Office in Preston
would be able to help.

There is a place near Blackburn(not too far away from BLS) which is called Rishton.There was a place called Rishton House in that area.I will google again & see if I can find the exact location.

Betty
Lancashire- Moss,Broadbent,Olley,Dobson,Dickenson,
Norfolk-Olley,Knowles,Bunn,Pooley,Scott,Vince
Caithness & Dumfries - Evans,Sinclair,Mackay
Belfast-Antrim - Mackay,Connor,Bunting
Liverpool,Wigan & Southport - Ball,Taylor
Isle of Man - Harp,Dougherty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Knighton,Radnorshire - Evans, Broadhurst
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Gt Grandmother-Margaret Dickenson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 21:48 GMT (UK) »
If you look at this site it maybe connected/or not.

www.wilkinp.4.blackapplehost.com/History/Manorhouse/Pontalgh/pontalgh.htm

Quite interesting even if it is not linked to your search

Betty
Lancashire- Moss,Broadbent,Olley,Dobson,Dickenson,
Norfolk-Olley,Knowles,Bunn,Pooley,Scott,Vince
Caithness & Dumfries - Evans,Sinclair,Mackay
Belfast-Antrim - Mackay,Connor,Bunting
Liverpool,Wigan & Southport - Ball,Taylor
Isle of Man - Harp,Dougherty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Knighton,Radnorshire - Evans, Broadhurst
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 January 12 09:37 GMT (UK) »
The parish of Bolton le Sands included other townships as well, including Carnforth, Over Kellett and Nether Kellett.

However, looking at the wording of the entries around, this clergyman kindly gives us township names, so I'd expect Rishton House to be in the Bolton-le-Sands area.

There is not a great deal of old property along the current A6, a turnpike dating after 1735, but a reasonable number of buildings cluster around Holy Trinity church. Few of them have names I can see on Streetview though.

There may be directories which give a clue about the house and inhabitants. I'd expect Lancaster library to have the best collection of them.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 January 12 10:35 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of wills listed for John Johnsons in the area (http://user.xmission.com/~nelsonb/lws.htm).

John Johnson of Over Kellett, yeoman, 1773
John Johnson of Capenwray in Over Kellett, 1734

Both are listed as being under Kendal Deanery.

That second entry might be your chap's father. Maybe all of a sudden he had the money to get married.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,

I don't know how reliable the website  www.thepeerage.com is; but they list a Dorothy Rishton, late 17thC, with a connection to Beaumont Cote, near Slyne with Hest (British history Online describes Beaumont Cote as a detached part of the Bolton-le-Sands parish).
http://thepeerage.com/p37364.htm#i373633   see Edmund Cole, son of  Edmund Hornby and Dorothy Rishton.

Your John Johnson's wife Anne Spareling's family were also linked to the Beaumont Cote area. So possibly Rishton House was named for Dorothy Rishton and was around Beaumont Cote?

Have looked for an old enough map, but cannot see anything named though  ???

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kenace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, Sorry for not replying to messages but I lost all my records and passwords, just found my thread while trawling the web, still have no info on Rishton House so I presume it must be an error in the records. again thanks for your help. Kenace.

Offline carlpeel

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 June 18 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi - I've just come across this - four years later -- and want to share this link that may give you some info. You may already have it, but it contains info about the history of Rishton in the Blackburn area, and also mentions Ponthalgh, as there was some relation via marriage between folks of the two places. http://www.archive.org/stream/historyofblackbu00abrauoft/historyofblackbu00abrauoft_djvu.txt

It's a google-scanned book called the History of Blackburn. The pages of interest will be around 634+