Author Topic: County Cork births  (Read 3454 times)

Offline Old Moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
County Cork births
« on: Wednesday 18 January 12 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to get any help or advice for this one!

Daniel KELLY born Cork, father Dionesius KELLY (that is the spelling on the English marriage certificate).

Katherine MANLY born Cork, father Michael MANLY.

I do apologize that their birth dates are a bit sketchy. 

I would say they had been married, in a Catholic Church in Bristol, pre the birth of their son John (Johannes) in October 1837.

They were legally married in 1844.  This is the certificate that I have.

It is very difficult to ascertain from the census just how old they really were.

Any help gratefully received.

Old Moon.  (Gail)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: County Cork births
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 April 12 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, do you have any other information on Daniel Kelly/Katherine Manley that is maybe their mothers maiden names.

It is difficult to pin them down for a baptism record, there wont be a civil birth record as these did not come into force until 1864 in Ireland, unless you have the location in CORK.

I see them on the 1851 uk census in Bristol with John 14, Daniel 11, Mary 9, William 5, Elizabeth 8. Also from the ages of parents Daniel seems to be about 20 years older than Katherine.  His birth is given c. 1801 & Katherine c. 1821.

If you are able to source any more information, get back to me & I will take another look.  Regards

Offline Old Moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 12 04:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have only recently been able to get their fathers names  because at last I have found their marriage certificate.  I have no idea where in Cork they came from and no idea what their mothers names were.

I usually think that the 1851 census is best you can get for their ages.  1841 is inexact and in 1851 they are as young as you can get them and least likely to have lost count.  This shows Daniel to be 10 years older than Catherine.  I wonder if he had a previous marriage?  That is something to think about.

Thanks Gail.

Offline jordansgregory

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 February 14 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gail,

I am also researching Dionesius Kelly, as he is one of my ancestors. Since you have the marriage cert of daniel kelly and Katherine manley, does it list their father's occupations? Also it is possible dionesius was also known as denis.

Looking forward to your response.

Jordan Gregory

Offline Old Moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Gail,

I am also researching Dionesius Kelly, as he is one of my ancestors. Since you have the marriage cert of daniel kelly and Katherine manley, does it list their father's occupations? Also it is possible dionesius was also known as denis.

Jordan Gregory

Hi, I will attach the certificate.  If you think there is a connection we can talk more.

Gail.

Offline Old Moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 02:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Gail,

Jordan Gregory

Hi again,

I also have a list of their children that were bap in Catholic Church.  They fit with my family quite well.

Gail.

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 March 17 10:45 GMT (UK) »
In my wife's Irish RC (Cork) families Dionesius (or variants) is the usual latinized form for Denis (as Demetrius is for Jeremiah). Daniel tends to be Daniel, in my experience.