Author Topic: SS British Chivalry  (Read 5106 times)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: SS British Chivalry
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 22:21 GMT (UK) »
BRITISH CHIVALRY was sunk by the Japanese Submarine I-37 and the Survivors Report indicates that the survivors were machine gunned whilst in the liferafts and boats. Your Uncle is mentioned as being killed.
There is a common missconception that it was general practice for German U Boats to engage in this inhuman procedure. In WW2 there is only one recorded incident of this vile practice being undertaken by the Captain of a German Submarine. Sadly the same cannot be said of the Japanese.
My good friend Ken Dunn has written an interesting article on this subject.
https://www.uboat.net/articles/55.html.
Also a related thread here, http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=47428
I have emailed you the Survivors Report.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Mark L1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 May 20 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
My Grandfather was killed on board the British Chivalry (JJ Gallagher) and his daughter (my mam) was 9 years old at the time. She’s now 85 and still with us, she can remember quite vividly being visited at home by some of the ships survivors and her understanding of what happened concurs with almost all of what I have read regarding the atrocity that it was.
I would be very interested in any survivors reports or information regarding the incident. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Claire Payne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello, my grandfather Pierre Payne was first mate on chivalry. He recieved the MBE for the actions towards saving 36 men while adrift 36 days. I would love to help. Please drop me a message with what you would like to know. Kind regards Claire

Offline Claire Payne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 20:06 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was Pierre Payne first mate of British chivalry. We have many records from him.. we also have letters written him by those he saved as well as from families of those lost. I have a story handed down regarding master captain hill who was taken 'hostage' it is however just the opinion of my grandfather and many of the crew at the time if anyone is interested. I am interested in tracking down captain hill's family to hear his side of the story or any information anyone here has. Yes there is a memorial to those who didn't survive at tower hill... Any information to me is valuable, any stories from surviving crew. I would be grateful for anything as well as happy to provide anything I have that is of interest to you. Kind regards Claire

Offline Mark L1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 February 21 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire
It’s been a while since I checked in on this site but was thrilled to see your reply. I would certainly be interested in hearing any information you are able to share. My mam will be 87 this year and still talks about her Father. It would be great if I can pass on any information good or bad regarding that fateful day. My Grandfather by all accounts had lead a colourful life, a stowaway at 14 and a prisoner in World War I. He lived and worked in the Australian outback and for many years in the Merchant Marine. He’d also been torpedoed on two ships prior to the SS British Chivalry!!
Hope to hear from you.
Thanks
Mark

Offline ButternutSquash

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 October 21 13:22 BST (UK) »
BRITISH CHIVALRY was sunk by the Japanese Submarine I-37 and the Survivors Report indicates that the survivors were machine gunned whilst in the liferafts and boats. Your Uncle is mentioned as being killed.
There is a common missconception that it was general practice for German U Boats to engage in this inhuman procedure. In WW2 there is only one recorded incident of this vile practice being undertaken by the Captain of a German Submarine. Sadly the same cannot be said of the Japanese.
My good friend Ken Dunn has written an interesting article on this subject.
https://www.uboat.net/articles/55.html.
Also a related thread here, http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=47428
I have emailed you the Survivors Report.

Annwyl Seaweed,
My relative Arthur E W Kennealy (Sailor) was one of the casualties.  I've followed the links and found what I can but a full manifest for that sailing would be nice.  Can you tell me how to get hold of that please?

And the Survivors Report you mention would be good.  Anything else related to this event too. 
Diolch yn fawr
Cofion cynnes
Lisa Kennealy

Offline Kevin Noonan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 October 23 02:37 BST (UK) »
I cannot see how old this thread is but I seek help. My late father was one of the badly injured survivors of the British Chivalry; Thomas Noonan, a pumpman.

Can anyone help me with the survivors reports mentioned in this thread?

Before I pass away I wish to find all I can to pass on to my son.

I have given him copies of Salt in our wounds, and blood and Bushido, and the war crimes report.