Author Topic: Mary Strawberry b Desoronto, Ont 1865 d Flower Station, Ont 1947  (Read 15722 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Strawberry b Desoronto, Ont 1865 d Flower Station, Ont 1947
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 January 12 00:18 GMT (UK) »
I looked in  Lavant from the info on William and easily found them as Sampere 1901 Lavant Township, Lanark  http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=69504

is probably too early to look for newspapers of the day, but news of that fire would help the story along somewhat. Meantime we need proof as to why there were 2 surnames allotted to her afterwards...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 January 12 00:40 GMT (UK) »
This is just too interesting not to have a look at it and see if these people exist otherwise...
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FMJZ-QCV
MARRIAGE 23 Dec 1882
John Sampier  23 Dec 1882   Lanark, Lanark, Ontario  Age: 21 c.1861  / Peter Sampier & Ermeau ( or Ermean)
to Mary Anne Alexander  Age: 17 c.1865 / Frank Stewart Alexander & Margaret P Alexander
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline elmfield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 January 12 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestions....I have a large, extended, family in Canada but, I have to admit that having lived over here since I was 5  there are some that I don't know.

Believe it , or not, my family in Canada  have all spent time trying to find out more about Mary Strawberry....and that goes for one of them who, in a distinguished academic career, was still unable to find out any more...and he dedicated much time to the search. I have personally researched several Canadian archives for a newspaper item which might have recorded a fire in which Mary's parents died and have been in touch with Church records in both Kingston and TO.

I shall be in Canada later this year ( Hastings County) and shall therefore be grateful for your guidance on where I should look further. :-\

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 January 12 14:12 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to rootschat as I hadn't seen that you were new. 

Offline elmfield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 January 12 18:54 GMT (UK) »

The name Strawberry was related to me by my father...who is now a 90+ year old and remembers his Grandmother, Mary Strawberry; by his surviving brothers and by my cousins...so there would seem to be some evidence of her being known...or maybe wanting to be known, as Strawberry.....as an earlier appeal by John Watson would indicate

PS. I am proud of my descent from Mary Strawberry and of the hard life ,family tradition would have me believe, she lived.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 January 12 22:05 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 census said "sected" rather than bothering to fill in pertinent information. 
I couldn't see her as a census stray 1871, maybe someone can find her in a household
 ( Did see Stewart & Margaret as Alxander on FHS site, in Oso 1871, but couldn't find more Alexander in Oso, can't see household) 

This may be Angus as Sampier ...  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M473-F5R 
Still have found neither in 1881 under any of the names used I even tried only a few letters with the forename Angus. He might have been missed but both missing?

The name Strawberry can be found in several other Provinces, but hard to say if related or not.
http://www.canada411.ca/search/?stype=si&what=strawberry&where=&Search.x=24&Search.y=14

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 January 12 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Not the right couple That marriage I found might be this couple...still I am posting what I find because it is hard to find under all these different spellings and some may still offer clues...and at the very least show where not to go, as even though this may all have been found before, we do not have any of this information in front of us.
 http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=94759&highlight=40

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 January 12 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Seeing the image may have helped to solve another mystery as to whose birth I had found in Oso Frontenac 1893, it was perhaps for Harriot as Mary St Pear, parents down as August St Pear & Mary Alexander ...so may have been following the Catholic first name as Mary but perhaps saved the name Harriot for baptism, or hadn't decided yet.    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VNGZ-QHN
I could not find an August, but the date fits. Of course I may be wrong

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 January 12 15:40 GMT (UK) »
For others searching...I am going crazy with information I find that might be Angus...I cannot find evidence of any other Angus St.Pierre can anyone else?
Here is a death for a Mary Sampris July 4 1884 Lavant, Ontario / Age19 c.1865 /spouse Angus Sampris
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JDB6-H2V
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
and have now found another marriage, his father Peter...and look, SHE is a berry  ( The raspberry ) I don't have access to see what year this was, nor have we investigated his family, so it could be a nephew named after him? Angus Sampieree and Mary Laframboise....

**marriage & death details for above are entered on reply Reply #34