Author Topic: Muras family from Newcastle  (Read 8466 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Muras family from Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 January 12 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Wise words, the question is how many bridges were there at that time and which one did they walk across.

In the 1830's only one - the Georgian Tyne Bridge.

http://www.bridgesonthetyne.co.uk/georgian.html

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0jwi/

Lots of ferry crossings as well, of course.

Don't dismiss the idea of them living in one place and getting married in another. Many of my ancestors lived in the Consett area of County Durham in the early/mid 1800's. But most of them popped over to Newcastle on Tyne to get married.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 January 12 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info'  My relatives may indeed have crossed over the bridge but all the addresses I've found are for Byker and Sctotswood Rd  and even Tynemouth.  I agree though it is worth a consideration, especially as I can not find the connection I need between the Gibson/Muras families.
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 January 12 12:53 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 census, the John Gibson, age 17, b. Newcastle, son of Joseph Gibson and Jane, living in Scotswood, is a Joiner and Cartwright.

The John Gibson, age 18, b. Newcastle, son of widowed Archibald Gibson (and Jane Muras), living in Newcastle St.Andrew, is a Bricklayer.

Your proven John, from 1861 census onwards with wife Ann, is a Bricklayer.

Given the Muras mother and his occupation, I'd say the John, son of Archibald and Jane is most likely your man.

It may be worth getting a birth cert for one of John and Anns children, which will give Anns maiden name, and then you can search for their marriage and obtain their fathers names. William Archibald Gibson, Jun Qtr 1861, Newcastle, should give you the right info.

Another possible marriage on Familysearch at Newcastle St. Andrew, 31 August 1856.
John Gibson and Ann Bryson. Grooms father Archibald Gibson, brides father William Bryson. You really need the brides name to identify the right marriage.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 January 12 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan,
Looks very promising and once I've crossed the "T" and dotted the "i" (maybe send for a Birth Cert.) I will be adding another twig to the branch of the tree.
For some reason I became locked into "north" of the Tyne and never considered looking south, mainly I think because every Gibson record I found was in Byker,Elswick,Scotswood ereas.  Onwards I go to seek more answers to the family tree mystery.

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 January 12 15:13 GMT (UK) »
They didn't move very far south. They are only there in the 1841 census, on Gateshead High Street, which starts about 200 yards uphill from the site of the old Georgian Bridge.
Gateshead and Newcastle were one urban area really, lots of movement between the two in search of work.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 January 12 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Wolfie,

Thanks, realize the geography involved... married a Gateshead Lass myself (many moons ago) but live much to far away now to actually go and look at the records.  Will try to order the appropriate Birth Cert online. Trouble is you do not always get the information required. The last one I received, for someone else, did not list the father's name at all, and it was his name that I was looking for (LOL)

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 January 12 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks
 Birth Cert of son William Archibald Gibson arrived. John Gibson married an Ann Bryson Jul 1858 in Newcastle.  Another link in the chain added but still looking for the source of the name Muras.

Thanks for all your help with this

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 January 12 18:32 GMT (UK) »
I must have missed something here.  You have a birth cert for William Archbold Gibson--right?  His father was John Gibson and mother Ann Bryson? And John's occupation at the time of the birth?  They married in Newcastle in 1856 (not 1858).  From that marriage you have that John's father was Archibold.  What you need to know is what was listed as his occupation.  Perhaps someone going to Tyne and Wear Archives can look it up easily in St. Andrew register for the 31 Aug 1856.

Ann Graham and a John Gibson married in St. John's in 1858 

I don't think the above information necessarily negates that Archibold Gibson married a Jane Muras in 1831 and they were the parents of John and is probably your Muras link.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 January 12 19:15 GMT (UK) »
I have the digital copy (hard copy on way) of William Archibald Gibson.  John is listed as a bricklayer on it and again on the 1861 census.  My tree shows John's father as Joseph married to a Jane Fife. Please tell me this is not wrong !!

Where did you find John's father as Archibald, 'cause that makes more  sense in the traditional naming convention of that time.
Stay in the  Moment