Author Topic: St. Pancras Workhouse Records  (Read 5686 times)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St. Pancras Workhouse Records
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 January 12 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Henry and Eva were married in Detroit Michigan and Henry also gave his father's name as Henry? Can you tell us where the info about Charles Arthur being his father comes from? Do you have a birth date for Henry? Does it match the info on the Canada 1911 census?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FCG4-4C6

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Amber1867

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 January 12 18:59 GMT (UK) »
The info about Charles Arthur came from a great-aunt who was interested in the family tree. She is in her 90's now. I asked her where she got the info and she couldn't remember. I just assumed she must have got it from Henry James. His birthday is November 13th, 1889...and yes it matches the Canadian census in 1911. As for Nellie, my great-aunt remembered that she lived with Henry James somewhere on Delaware St. in Chatham once they arrived in Canada.

Offline Amber1867

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 January 12 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Oh and I forgot...his birthday is on an old family tree portrait. The last inscription is 1933, so I assume it was done by his wife, Eva.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 January 12 23:55 GMT (UK) »
OK, then. It is most unfortunate that you are dealing with such a common name in Brown.

IMHO, the info about Charles being the father appears to be, at this point, heresay and should be treated with caution. That both Nellie and Henry named a Henry as their father may, of course, be Nellie naming her brother, as you pointed out earlier, and Henry making up a name but you should consider that they may have actually remembered who their father was. And Henry also apparently had a name for his mother. I think it would at this point be prudent to explore a family with Henry and Sarah as parents, if only to rule out a Henry as the father. We wouldn't want you to go up the wrong tree.

I'm still a bit confused about Nellie and her relationship (or not) to Henry in that you mentioned you weren't sure but then indicated later that a rellie said they were living together in Chatham at some point? Do you have contact with any descendents of Nellie and Sidney to help corroborate your info?

If you can find the shipping manifest again that would probably be helpful here. I have had a quick look but haven't turned up anything contrete.

This is a tough one, for sure.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 January 12 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Information on the Hereford and District Working Boys Home and Industrial School, Bath Street, Hereford

http://www.missing-ancestors.com/hereford_and_district_working%20boys%20ind%20sch%20info%20page.htm

It might be worth contacting Herefordshire Archives to see if they hold any records or know the possible whereabouts of records for the institution.

http://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/3584.asp

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Amber1867

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 January 12 23:34 GMT (UK) »
So I had a break through on Nellie today. Apparently she was adopted or sponsored by a Heath family, along with Henry James. So she went by Nelly Heath when she entered Canada until she got married. I contacted the Salvation Army to see about a passenger list but it does not go past 1912 in Canada. Now I just have to figure out what happened to William, Charles, and Sarah between 1892-1904.