Author Topic: Toler Roberts Garvey and George B. Garvey  (Read 11684 times)

Offline lbud

• RootsChat Member
  • What a waist!
    • View Profile
Re: Toler Roberts Garvey and George B. Garvey
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 January 12 12:16 GMT (UK) »
The death of a George B Garvey age 61 was registered in Marylebone in 1925.  From http://freebmd.org.uk.

Offline newmark401

• RootsChat Senior
  • None
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 January 12 13:02 GMT (UK) »
The death of a George B Garvey age 61 was registered in Marylebone in 1925.  From http://freebmd.org.uk.

Thanks for that information. I had no idea that George Garvey died in England. The London "Times" of 4 June 1925 carries a death notice stating that he had died on the previous day.

Mark
History of lawn tennis; players, tournaments, etc.

Offline Robin1954

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 June 12 13:42 BST (UK) »
The elder Toler Roberts Garvey was my great grandfather, the younger one and George Bloomfield Garvey were my great uncles. Captain George Garvey RN (my great great grandfather) lived at Thornvale House, between Moneygall and Toomevara. His son, the elder Toler Roberts Garvey, lived at 12 Oxmantown Mall, Birr (then called Parsonstown) until he inherited Thornvale. He had three sons and three daughters: May (who became a nurse, ran a nursing home in London, after WW1 married Captain Gerald Lowry from Belfast - the first officer blinded in WW1, who subsequently became an osteopath, and died at mayfield in Sussex sometime in the 1950s); George Bloomfield, whose daughter Daphne married Commander Henry Ball RN, subsequently of the Commissioners for Irish Lights, and whose grandson, * Ball, retired a few years ago also from the Commissioners for Irish Lights, and who lives in Bray, Co Wicklow; Toler Roberts (junior) who was steward to Lord Ross, and who had two daughters - Enid, who married a Major Porter and had a son and a daugher (Maurice and Pamela), and Inez, who married John de Fraine, a farmer in Sussex (both Enid and Inez died several years ago); Henry William, who was killed in the Boer War; Olive Amy (my grandmother) who married John Edward Minchin (more below), and Helen, who never married and died at quite a young age.

John Edward and Olive Amy Minchin (nee Garvey) lived for a time at Thornvale. They had three children: Sara Amelia Helen (Sarita), b. 4/09/1910, Arthur John, b. 21/03/1912, and Olive Juliet (Judy), b. 17/02/1914 (my mother). The family moved to England in 1921, returned to Thornvale in 1929, and emigrated to Kenya in 1934. Both Arthur and Judy were keen tennis players, participating in tournaments in Roscrea, Nenagh, and in Kenya. Sarita married Walter Crawford (both deceased - Walter in 1990 and Sarita in 1997) and had three sons, *, * and *, who all currently live in South Africa. Arthur married Betty d'Olier (nee Blair), but had no children. Betty died in approximately 1978, and Arthur in 1998. Judy married Captain Thomas Lyle McClelland, and had a son, Robin (me) in *. My father died in 1961, and my mother died 20/05/2012 at the age of 98.

Moderator Note : Some details of living people removed as per RootsChat privacy policy.

Offline pete k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 August 14 17:59 BST (UK) »
This might be of interest. A George G Garvey, from Kings County Assistant Land Commissioner was residing in Portstewart NI in 1901 Census. Link here also.www.billmacafee.com/census/1901censusportstewart.xls.

Pete

Offline pete k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 10:54 BST (UK) »
http://www.tennisarchives.com

this site tells you a lot about them george born 4.2.1864 Toler Roberts born 11.2.1865

tells you about the tennis matches they played and were they died.

Offline rokiwolff

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 July 15 12:42 BST (UK) »
Joining the conversation late.  Thanks for the great insight. 

I'm trying to find a birth record for Enid Amy Eyre Garvey for my wife and would appreciate any advice or records.

She is also a descendant as Granddaughter of Enid; Great Granddaughter of Toler Bonnell Roberts Garvey, and daughter of Maurice Garvey Porter.  The post by Robin1954 confirmed a few items from our visit to the Garvey/Eyre cemetery plot in Borrisnafarney a few years ago.  But also some conflicts with our data.  e.g. We're missing a reference to "May Garvey".  Been working on this tree on Ancestry.com and happy to share a GED or other file.

Especially enjoy the Tennis Archive data.  Thanks

New to RootsChat; how do we connect privately?

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 July 15 14:03 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Link about PM (personal Message) facility.

Think you need to have 3 posts before you can use it.   Welcome to Rootschat. :)