Author Topic: Approve School boy 1950  (Read 27239 times)

Offline mikethebee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Approve School boy 1950
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 December 12 16:16 GMT (UK) »
hi ip164jf
BILL THANK YOU FOR YOUR EMAIL I have tried to contact you though the PM but have been cut off.
  we all know the scotch house master your talking about please try contacting me again.
 all the best mike

Offline bicyclz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 December 12 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.
Came across this thread whilst researching the Cotswold School.
I was there circa 1960, but not for long. It had a reputation for being 'Progressive' in those days, but I found it an awful place.... They had a small cell block where I was kept locked in for a good amount of time.

I'd particularly like to contact Louise at some point when I can use the PM system. I'm pretty sure I can add to your knowledge in this area.

I was also in Bryn Estyn, Mobberly Boys School, Danesford School, in Congleton, Cheshire, Red Bank Classifying School in Warrington. The latter three in Cheshire, I think we all know of the Bryn Estyn story, all closed for abuse, as I understand it.
Kingswood Classifying School in Bristol, Tennal School in Harbourne, Birmingham, and Eastmoor in Leeds were also part of my childhood experience and part of a bit of research on my part currently.

Slightly off topic here above but I would welcome contacts with ex Cotswold School 'pupils'. Pooled knowledge can only be good, and I'm hoping this current Operation Pallial will produce some real results after the Waterhouse shambles.

John F.
(Gloucester)

Offline mikethebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 December 12 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi John F
 thanks for your reply, I see you’re a “Gloucester Boy” as well?
With the past experience you had with the system!  Would you recommend it for toddlers - teens today?
I would like a chat over a pint! But don’t know how to get past these forums rules on giving out emails or phone numbers
All the best mike

Offline bicyclz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike.

Thanks for that. Been away over the New Year.
I wouldn't recommend 'care,' current or past, for the child of my worst enemy. They, Childrens Homes, Approved Schools, Borstals, Prisons, etc.,  were all potential abuse factories in my opinion. The 'State' handed control of a child into the hands of all sorts of supposedly 'responsible' organisations and individuals, many of whom were deviants. The names have changed now perhaps, but the system and humans haven't.

This forums rules are what they are, (potential abuse, quite understandably) but simply posting a few comments enables Private Messaging, which seems to be the main block here. With Louise, for example, I just googled her name.....
Google bicyclz + you get my website, etc. Ultimately you can't be blocked on-line when you know someones name.

I wasn't born in Gloucester, but it's a very nice, friendly town in my experience. You local-ish? I'd be happy to have a couple of pints and a good chat about common experience and stuff; )

Please do persevere with contacts, because I know ultimately this website is not intending to prevent proper contacts between individuals. It's a protective measure, and well needed on certain sites. Not here, in this circumstance, The point to bear in mind is that in the end you can contact anybody you like, via the right methods online.

Tell us a bit about your Cotswold School experiences. If you are happy doing that in public. For example, 'how old were you on reception?' How long did they detain you? Some others I know do not believe that you could be 'taken into care' at a certain age. (I was 8!)

It's all relevant stuff.

Take care and write some more: )

John F.

Offline Arthur68

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 February 13 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Was at The Cotswold School from: March 1956 when I was 13yrs & left in March 1959.
I was in St Andrews, No: 1154 & Housemaster: Nickname: ( The Gog ).
I have to say it did not do me any favours by sending me there, although I can say I was looked after
& lived a good life while I was there.
I worked on the Farm, in the Dairy.
I do have a couple of photo's, 1 of all the Lads from St Andrews & 1 The finish of the Cross Country
race 1958 when I came 2nd.
With what Criminals are getting away today, I still can't believe I was sent to the Cotswolds for
3 years for stealing a Dozen eggs & 6 new hatched chicks.
Would like to hear from you. I live in Portsmouth.

Offline mikethebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 February 13 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arthur Mr. W? 1154 Thank you for your email,
We may have crossed paths did you have a mop of blond ginger hair tall skinny lad?
I would love to have copies of the photos (I will pay) you can PM me though the forum.
(I don’t know how to PM I will have to ask other lads)
 I know the admin don’t allow names phone numbers on the postings.
 Meeting up (tomorrow) with a couple of the old lads and wives,  for a meal pint and chat over old times. I will ask if they remember you I think Snook – Carter –Talbot all came from Portsmouth (were all over 70)
I was in St David’s 1093 under *
Mr. Borlace had just arrived as a stand in for the head bailiff Mr. Webster; I collected the eggs with Mrs. Webster and managed the PIGS
All the best keep in tuch mike

* Moderator comment:  please do not make disparaging personal comments about living, or recently living, people, as they will be removed.  As mentioned above in the various Moderator Comments, to use the Private Message system, new members need to make a minimum of three posts on a message board - three replies to this topic, for example, will activate the PM system for a new member.

Instructions for using the PM system are here:
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php  *

Offline 1687.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 May 13 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
           I was at the Cotswold School circa 1962/3 aged 13 and I've been hunting for info on this place for for a long time, so far all attempts have come up a complete blank.  Plenty of anecdotal info from people unfortunate enough to have spent time there, but nothing more.
  The authorities concerned have for years kept the records and nepharious activities that went on at The Cotswold School and other similar places under very tight wraps indeed and its an absolute disgrace. The kids that were sent there for what in a lot of instances were piffling reasons, abused by members of staff and older and stronger boys deserve a whole better than they are getting at present and its high time this was recognised and addressed.
The Government is guilty of a colossal failure in their duty to these people, surely most of the members of staff who were running the place at the time are either very old indeed or long dead by now in which case the possiblity of redress from that quarter has to be at very best pretty slim.
 So is it a monetary thing? The mind boggles at the potential amount in compensation claims the government would be forced to pay should the situation alter. But the chances of the situation altering in our lifetime? I won't hold my breath.              1687.

Offline mikethebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 May 13 12:22 BST (UK) »
Posted by: ip164jf  on: Saturday 24 March 12 17:17 GMT (UK) 
hi bill  i hope your well worred as i have not had reply??
I have been trying to contact you again by email or PR but cant get a reply,
 thank you for sending the photos if you have 5 min send i email to say your A1.
Had a meet up with young John F and Snooki over a pint and meal we all keep in tuch once or twic a week

ALL THE BEST MIKE

Offline retiredoldie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 August 13 11:43 BST (UK) »

Hi Mike, With reference to your enquiry re Approved school boy 1950.
I don't know if I can help but I was a member of the teaching staff at the Cotswold School from 1962 to 1966. I was also on the staff on St David's House.

Regards.