Author Topic: Samuel Reid Died West Calder  (Read 3461 times)

Offline Alexj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Reid Died West Calder
« on: Sunday 22 January 12 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I hope somebody may be able to help or point me in the right direction.

My great,great grandfather Samuel Reid died on 5 August 1885 in west calder. Can anyone point me in the direction of where he may have been buried so i can see if there is any headstone

Thanks

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Reid Died West Calder
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 January 12 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Sam Reid died 19/8/1885 at Hermand Rows, West Calder, he was 51 and cause of death was given as heart!!  He was buried in Section D Lair 79 on the 11/8/1885, funeral was arranged by William Reid.  His occupation was engineman - he probably worked on the Limestone Quarry at Hermand Estate.

Also in this lair are: Stillborn child of Christina Reid, funeral arranged by James Reid, Hermand Row, West Calder, internment was 19/7/1895, birth would normally have been the same day.

Marion Reid of 10 Hermand Row, West Calder, daughter of Christine Reid, aged 7 weeks, funeral arranged by John Reid, died 2/9/1895, interred 3/9/1895, cause of death congenital debility.

Marion Reid, mother of John Reid, died 6/9/1911, 3 Hermand Rows, West Calder, aged 76 (wife of Samuel), cause of death cerebral haemorrhage 10 days, interred 9/9/1911.

Janet Reid, died Jan 1951, interred 11/1/1951, aged 88, 25 Parkhead Cottages, West Calder

Lastly, Samuel Reid, died May 1953, interred 7/5/1953, aged 78, 25 Parkhead Cottages, West Calder.

I've looked through my photographs of Section D in the cemetery and can't find any headstone, but I haven't completed that Section as yet, so there may be one.  I'll look over the next few days.  Weather permitting.

Sam Reid lived next door to us when I was a wee lassie and he had a son John and daughter Marion, so I'm pretty sure he's descended from this Sam. Some of the family still live in West Calder.

Hope this helps .......   Cauther Lassie 

Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 12 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, should have said that they buried in West Calder Cemetery, (Burngrange), in the older section, I've attached a plan of the cemetery, it's on the A71, and depending how you come into West Calder it's either as you enter or leave the village, large stone walls surrounding it!!

1881 census shows, the family living at Hermand Rows, with Sam as a Pit Enginekeeper, aged 48 born Shotts.   Marion aged 46 born Carnwath, son William aged 20, Horse Driver born Shotts.  Daughter Janet aged 18 born Shotts.    Son John Smith Reid aged 16, Horse Driver born Whitburn, son James aged 13, born Whitburn, daughter Christina aged 10 born Whitburn, Samuel aged 6, born Whitburn and daughter Marion aged 3 born Whitburn.

cheers .......  Meg

PS was unable to attach cemetery plan, file was too large sorry
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 January 12 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Also in West Calder cemetery Ref DC315.

James Reid died 30/12/1937 41 Parkhead Crescent West Calder. Age 69. Cerebral Thrombosis. Father in law of James McGuire.

John Smith Reid interred 13/8/1934 aged 17. Son of James Reid. Died in the Royal Infirmary Edinburgh.

Mary Reid died 19/5/1932 aged 45, 17 New Hermand West Calder. Carcinoma of Urinary Bladder 1 year. Wife of James Reid.

Samuel Reid interred 26/7/1967 aged 69. 41 Parkhead Crescent West Calder

Best wishes
Jean