Author Topic: Irish & Italian Grandparents in Alexandria Egypt  (Read 12810 times)

Offline bonron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish & Italian Grandparents in Alexandria Egypt
« on: Sunday 22 January 12 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Could any one please help in my search , I am wanting to search for my grandparents, William Patrick Foley, and Guisappina Bambara, they married on the 18/6/1902 in Alexandria Egypt, my Grandmother being of Italian
origin,they had two sons Edward patrick Foley,(my farther)Born on the 19/3/1903,and MichealPatrick Foley Bornin July 1905 in Alexandria Egypt,Edward my farther was also known as Mario Majisti who was a wrestler by Proffesion,(Mario Majisti being his show name,) Guisappina Bambara my grandmother must have passed at some stage in there marriage because William Patrick Foley my Grandfarther married again on the 11/12/1920
being a widower, to a Lady of french decent called Marie La Pupe in Egypt, My farther Edward Patrick Foley,also known as Mario Majisti who married on the 26/3/1935 in the Kensington area of London ,and living in the all saints road area and also the warnington road area of Kensington,at the time of marriage ,he  passed away i believe in 1980 aged 77yrs in the Brent area of London, I would appreciate any help regards my search, of the Italian connection,what Guisappina passed with and when,any photo's would be wonderful of Mario (Edward Patrick Foley)or his family, i am just a begginer in this search ,and any information on the above would be gratefuly appreciated,many thanks for reading my message,

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Irish & Italian Grandparents in Alexandria Egypt
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 January 12 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,,Welcome to Rootschat ;)

Although William was married in Egypt,,it appears he must have been a British citizen,as his marriage reference appears in the GRO Consular marriages index.With this reference,you could order the marriage certificate,,,this should provide both fathers names and occupations.

William Patrick Foley
Consulate    Alexandria
Country         Egypt
Year     1901-1905
Volume    11
page  510
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bonron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 12 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply, I do have the marriage certificate,its the period they lived in Alexandria and when William Patrick foley Returned to the uk, and what Guisappina passed with and when,and the Italian connection of my Grandmother , were was she from , William patrick foley sounds like an Irish name , however i am not sure if he was irish or not, so many thanks for youe help i am so grateful,

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 January 12 21:50 GMT (UK) »
what is the info on the marriage cert?  what are the fathers names and occupations?  ::)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bonron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 January 12 12:32 GMT (UK) »
thank you again for your reply,the names on the marriage Certificate Number 60,are William Patrick Foley(British subject) age 23 years, and Guisappina Bambara, (Italian subject)age15 3/4 married in the British consulate, William is down as a Clerk,no occupation for guisappina,farthers name is Michael Patrick Foley, occupation storekeeper, and Guisappinas's farther was called Antonio Bambara, and is down as being a Tailor,

the certificate is very faint but readable, but the marriage took place in the presence of, Looks like Giovania Bambara, and S, Taylor,

thank you so much for your Help and interest i am so grateful,

Offline bonron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 February 12 12:16 GMT (UK) »

Hi ,
regards my fist post (above) in search of my family in Alexandria Egypt,of which up now i am sadly no furher in
my search,

I have been informed that Egytian sources have yet to hit the ancestry sites as yet,but perhaps in the future they may do,

also i am told that Italian births are recorded under the name of the town or commune so the birth place of the Italian sidecan not be found not knowing were Guisappina was born in Italy ,or her farther ( my Grandfarther Antonio Bambara,)

Also no record in the UK incoming passenger list 1878-1960 of any return to the UK,

could i take this information as correct of what i have been told , and if so could any one please advise me as to what i could do next to hopefuly find anything further ,example is there a history site who would have any records of my family, (Italian side)

also i believe William Patrick Foley was Irish  and any records of his Return to the UK, along wth his son Edward( my farther ),

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated , Many thanks ,

Offline bonron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 March 12 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone please help , I am searching for any information, regards my Grandparents William Patrick Foley,
and Giusappina Bambara,Italian Subject,who both married on the 18/6/1902 in Alexandria Egypt, they had a son Edward Patrick Foley (my farther)born on the 19/3/1903 in Egypt, my Grandmother Giusappina must have passed away between 1902 and 1920, because my Grandfarther William Patrick Foley married again on the 11/12/1920 in Alexandria Egypt to a lady called Marie La Pupe or Pope,(French subject) my farther Edward Patrick Foley, was also kown as Mario Majisti who's occupation was a wrestler Mario Majisti being his show name, He Married on the 26/3/1935 in the district of Kensington London to a lady called Eleanor Mabel Humbley,I beleive Edward (Mario)passed away in the year 1980 aged 77 years tge Registration district of Brent Greater London, could any one know of Edward Patrick Foley , (Mario Majisti)or indeed any information
Regards my search would be greatly appreciated,the problem i find is the Italian side of my Grandmother , also the Alexandria Egypt  search regards the Passage travelling to Egypt and the Return from Egypt to the Uk,  was my Grandmother ever laid to rest in Egypt or back in Italy,how i would love to know,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 March 12 15:38 GMT (UK) »
First question that comes to mind- what was William Patrick Foley, and your grandmother for that matter, doing in Eqypt? was he in the military? if so, have you tried searching those records?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bonron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 March 12 15:55 GMT (UK) »

Hi aghadowey

I only know that William Patrick Foley worked as a clerk in Alexandria,and that his farther MIchael worked as a
storekeeper, when he arrived in Egypt i do not know or when he left the country , i would think after 1920

thank you so much for your help and advice ,