Author Topic: Irish & Italian Grandparents in Alexandria Egypt  (Read 12812 times)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Irish & Italian Grandparents in Alexandria Egypt
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Keleb,

Bonron has been notified of your reply, hope to see them soon ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keleb7977

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 October 16 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Bonron.
 Lovely to receive your reply.
I'm not sure if you looked at carols ancestory tree or not to confirm but this would show enough evidence for you. I too have a tree much the same showing William Patrick foley as my grandmothers father who was born in Alexandria Egypt. My grandmothers mother was Maria teuma, she was his third wife. Your grandmother guiseppina was his first wife who gave birth to both your father and his brother (your uncle) in1903 and 1905. He then remarried Lucy (Lucia) whom he had a son with, Victor. She passed away two years later in an accident and he then married again to Maria teuma where they had one son and three daughters. He then passed away at the age of 43. All children have passed now except my grandmother who was their third born, she is almost 91. Your father Mario the magnificent was a well known wrestler, he also had fingers missing and spent some time in prison as I have heard. My grandmother never knew of William Patrick foley first wife (your grandmother) we assume he kept this from his third wife for some reason. There is also rumour that he perhaps told people he was a captain when in actual fact he was only a clerk on the ship. However, old records such as the ones you find, will always have contradicting details such as name spellings and employment/professions as these change (as all of ours do over the course of our lives) and they also aren't always truthful when stating these facts during census. Your father was 100% my grandmothers half brother. I have a photo of your grandfather if you would like me to show you and I can also get you in contact with my grandmother if you wish.

Thanks
Kelley

Offline bonron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 October 16 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Kelly, thank you so much for your prompt reply, yes i have read carols posts, (are you connected)well i do have quite a few B/M/D certificates of Mario who married in Kensington  in 1935, and Mario's father William is on the marriage Certificate as occupation police inspector, sadly Mario passed away in 1980 aged 77yrs, buried at Carpenders park Cemetery London of which i have also the Certificate of his passing,regards William Foley he married again in Dec 1920 to a French lady called Marie La Pupe or Pape difficult to make out on the Marriage Certificate,but you say he married Lucy (Lucia) sounds Italian do not think that is correct , what happened to her i wonder,, well  i have got other items of info but was not aware of Victor and others you speak of, i have a pic of Mario and also one of when he was a young boy of 16 yrs i believe joining the ship as a boy,,,,this is so very strange but  yes please i would love a photo of my Grandfather,, we must follow this through and see were this takes us , there is just too much to say at this stage , however what you have spoke of is interesting , i do hope to speak again soon , until then take Regards Ron

Offline keleb7977

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 October 16 14:29 BST (UK) »
Ok, so....I am not sure where la pupe comes from with my great grandmother Maria. She was born in Egypt of maltese decent and her maiden name was actually Teuma. The document you are reading may look like la pupe but actually be Teuma with unclear handwriting? This I do not know as I have not seen this document. However, I do have her down also in my tree as La pupe in brackets after Teuma as a suggested name she used too..
 It is probably evident that your father knew nothing about his half siblings as it does seem no one knew of your father and uncle so I would say William foley kept this to himself perhaps? We don't know really do we? Lucy (Lucia) was the second wife he had after Guiseppina but it was brief as I said she passed in an accident but did also produce a son (victor). This was around 1917 and she passed in 1919.
 My father is 66 years old and he would be your cousin. It would be really wonderful for you to connect with him! You also have many more cousins living in both England and Australia. And as I said, one remaining aunt who didn't know your father and uncle existed as either Maria or William did not tell them. He passed away from alcoholism (also drinking cleaning spirits) when my grandmother was only 4 years old.
 I have attached a picture of your grandfather William Patrick Foley.

Offline bonron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 October 17 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hello all, well here i am back again continuing my search for information regards my Father, Mario Majisti was is show name his birth name was  Edward Patrick Foley who was a well known wrestler in the 30s & 40s, i am also interested in a male called M F who was also Mario's son who married a girl called A M B, Michael lived at Dorchester Court Brent and married on the 1960's at Willsden Register office in the county of Middlesex, and Mario was present at the wedding, i know M and a both both met each other were they both worked at the Cardboard works (i think it says on the M/C) and both were Machine operators   they had a child born at the Central Middlesex Hospital Park Royal on the 1960s called A,M who was born in Alexandria Egypt in the year 1903 to Italian Mother Giusappina Bambaza  and is father was called William Patrick Foley,Mario passed away on the 15th May 1980 aged 77 in the Genaral Hospital Harlesden Road Willsden NW10, any information regards the above be it of Mario or of Michael would be greatly appreciated , Thank you,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 21 October 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
Rootschat isn't a forum for tracing living people and we aren't allowed to post detail of anyone who might still be alive. Going from the dates in your last post it's possible that Mario's brother, sister-in-law and niece could still be living so you'll probably need to edit that post. Just click on 'modify', change the details and then save.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 October 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
Link to another thread to save duplication of effort

topics have now been merged
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Foleytracker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 31 March 23 15:54 BST (UK) »
Bonron
I think there's a fair chance that your father may have fathered another prior to a short spell at his (then) majesty's pleasure.  That would have been in West London in 1928/9. As that person is living I won't go into detail here but the mother's maiden name was Steed.  Does that chime with your research or knowledge?

Offline Foleytracker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 13 April 23 09:41 BST (UK) »
Kelley
You seem to have details of Giuseppina Bambara as the first wife of William (Wilfred) Patrick Foley.  Do you have any information of what happened to her? In some records there is a similarly located Giuseppina (Josephine) Bambara (1885-1952) who married Dessman but all the timings overlap.  It seems too coincidental to have two people of the same name of Italian extraction and similar birthdates living in Alexandria, Egypt.