Author Topic: STIRLING- Cobh (Queenstown) Cork  (Read 21429 times)

Offline veryan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: STIRLING- Cobh (Queenstown) Cork
« Reply #27 on: Monday 21 May 12 20:57 BST (UK) »
HI Smash,
 The date of "Janet's" death is actually on the headstone - what is annoying is that not one of the names shows the age of the person who died, 'cos we could have the done the backwards calc.

Oh well, as the vicar said to the sexton - "keep digging".

By the way has anyone had an input on John Stirling and Catherine Sophia Hughes, vis-a-vie where born, married, parents etc?
Veryan

Offline veryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 21 May 12 21:20 BST (UK) »
HI Mary,
As Smash has said  - don't worry - we won't tell!!

Personally, I dislike trying to read Headstones at the best of times.

Nope, Janet means nothing to me but I wonder if Smash's Gt Aunt has any further input - Family Bible may be or certificates, photo's, letters.

Methinks I'll have to start a draft family tree with dates so we can see where birth gaps occur and then start hunting - 22, I wonder how many twins?

By the way Mary, I hope you didn't hurt your sides?

Veryan

Offline veryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 21 May 12 23:08 BST (UK) »
 :)
Thought I would make your day - another girl found-
ELLEN STIRLING birth details unknown except for being bn in Q/town.
However, she married at St Magdalene Church, Old Fish Street, London on the 7th Nov 1880 and gave her abode as 17 Westbourne Place, Q/town
Father- John Stirling Dec'd.       Spouse was HENRY WHITNEY Master Mariner birth details not n/k except abode is given as St.Georges, London - Father- Henry Whitney also a M.M.       Witnesses were CATHERINE STIRLING (who I suspect is Kate) and EDWARD WILLIAM LOANE (I'm not sure who the LOANE family are but they have appeared before in connection with the Stirling family ie S Hughes LOANE was a witness at the wedding of Kate S and Alfred Clemence).
I have been unable to further track Ellen and Henry apart from the possibility of them appearing in the 1900 USA Census to which I don't have full access- if any one else can look please advise us of their findings.
I'm heading for bed - Happy reading
Veryan

Offline Smash Adams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 06:24 BST (UK) »
Hey Veryan,

Great find about Ellen! As far as I can work out, the Loane's were also a family of ship's agents in Queenstown. In fact, if memory serves correct in one of the Cork Directories, they were listed as a joint company- "Stirling and Loane". I'll find it again to give us a year, but it was only the one listing of them together.

My Gr Aunt doesn't know much about the Stirlings' I'm afraid, especially in terms of certificates / bibles etc. But I will glean her for info the next time we chat, she might remember some bits!

PS: If Mary and Jane (the twins) were the youngest born in 1866, we can at least narrow Janet's DOB down to between 1845?-1865. I can't find Catherine and John's marriage / birth anywhere! 1901 census gives Catherine's birth at +- 1824

Not a lot of choice it would seem, in the way of potential husbands. You can have a Master Mariner, or a Master Mariner :D

Offline Smash Adams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 28 May 12 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hey Peeps,

So I've found the following in Cork and County Directories.

1867 Henry and Cochlan's Directory
Stirling and Loane- Commission, Insurance and Ship Agents. 17 Westbourne Place
John Stirling- Scotts Square

1871-
Stirling and Co.- Shipping Agents 16 Westbourne Place
E & M Stirling- Confectioners 16 Westbourne Place
William Stirling- Agent for Sir John Arnott porter stores (brewer) 16 Westbourne Place

(Edward Loane and Son. Shipping and commission agents, examiners and superintendents of grain and seed cargo. Scotts Square).

1875-
John Stirling- Shipping Agent Scotts Square

1881-
Stirling and Co. Scotts Square

1891-
William Stirling- Carrier Agent Westbourne Place

William Stirling- Forwarding Agent Westbourne Place
Mrs. Mairis (Jane Cromar)- Lodging/ Boarding House Kings Terrace

--------------------------------------

The death record Tara found for John Stirling was 1875, which clashes with the listing in 1881. Maybe a son in law was running the business, or perhaps it's the wrong man, who knows? Either way, I can't find any Stirling's in 1884, then William crops back up in 1891 but no more Stirling and Co.

I have a hunch the Loane's were involved possibly maritally with the Stirling's, hmmmmm...

Offline Smash Adams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 10:20 BST (UK) »
I think I may have found the Stirling- Loane connection!

Edward Loane married Ellen Hughes 1842, Clonmel.
One child I know of
Samuel Hughes Loane born 1846- Ship's Agent! (1901 / 1911 Census)

This will be the "S. Hughes Loane" listed as one of the witnesses to the marriage of Kate Stirling and Alfred Clemence in Queenstown 1886.

Ellen Hughes perhaps sister to Catherine Sophia Stirling, nee Hughes?  ???

Offline Smash Adams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 10:47 BST (UK) »
Found following marriage info for Elizabeth Hughes Stirling:

THORPE-STIRLING - July 28. at the parish church, Queenstown, by the Rev.
Charles Clarke, chaplin of H M S Revenge, John, youngest son of Edward
Thorpe, Liverpool, to Elizabeth Hughes, daughter of the late John Sterling.

Cork Examiner 1881

Offline Tregonnon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 23 July 12 06:00 BST (UK) »
I was looking up my Irish family tree and noticed this post re: Mona Doughty.  Mona was my paternal grandmother and she was married to Arthur Cornwallis Tiddy (d 1951).  They lived in Cape Town (South Africa) and Mona died in 1973.  Mona and Arthur had three children - Claude Julian (my father, d. 1986); Alastair James (Missing is action in RAF operations in Burma in 1944) and Elizabeth, who still lives in Cape Town.
Mona used to manage an art gallery in Cape Town and was instrumental in establishing the artist Vladimir Tretchikoff.
As a child, I recall Mona talking of her father, James Randall Doughty and her mother, who was also an accomplished mariner.  James owned two 4-masted Barques - the Jeannie Woodside and the Beecholm and used to carry coal out of Barry, Wales.  On one voyage, the ship officers and crew were very ill (not sure of the ailment), but Mary took over command from James and brought the ship back without incident.  The very grateful Lloyds insurers presented her with a certificate of appreciation, which she tore up in disgust.  She sounded quite a feisty lady who took no nonsense from anyone!  When I was in ships, I used the sextant belonging to James and it is still in the family with my aunt Elizabeth, as are two paintings of the Jeannie Woodside and Beecholm.

Offline Smash Adams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 23 July 12 06:30 BST (UK) »
Then that makes you my Uncle :D

Hello... Alistair?