Author Topic: STIRLING- Cobh (Queenstown) Cork  (Read 21511 times)

Offline Smash Adams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: STIRLING- Cobh (Queenstown) Cork
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Veryan,

Thanks for the thoughts. I must admit that many of them had crossed my mind too!  :) I have tried Lloyd's Register of Captains, where I have found my Doughty's before, but if I'm not mistaken the letter "S" was not transcribed. I will look again.

I did a quick search now which brought up a John Stirling born 1808 / 1818 Forfarshire, listed in the Merchant Navy Seamen Records, with service between the dates 1845-1854  ???

The only mention I can find of a likely Stirling in Queenstown, is in the Cork Examiner 22 October 1863-

"A FIRE which might have borne very fatal consequences, but which was fortunately discovered in time to prevent serious injury, occurred on Wednesday evening in the house of Captain Stirling at Queenstown. A servant had carelessly left a night light burning on a wooden mantel-piece in a bed room where some children were asleep. The light having burned down set fire to the timber which blazed up. A chimney glass which stood above it was next caught by the flame, and it cracked and broke and fell with a loud crash. It was this noise which providentially attracted the attention of the servants who were below stairs, in time to rescue the sleeping children, and to have measures taken for the suppression of the fire."

Offline Smash Adams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 19 November 12 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Accounts and papers of the House of Commons 1868 (Hurrah for Google Books)
Lays out the various laws regarding pilotage ie:
"Every pilot shall procure at his own expense a jacket waistcoat and trousers of good blue cloth with gilt buttons having the Cork arms in relief on the buttons and of which there shall be 12 on the jacket and six on the waistcoat and he shall always wear that dress when on duty or out of doors and no pilot shall appear on duty or out of doors unless dressed according to the requirements of this bye law."

Branched Captains of Steam Ships for the Port of Cork
John Stirling aged 34  ;D

-----------------------------------------
THE MERCANTILE NAVY LIST AND MARITIME DIRECTORY FOR 1867
Name of Ship and Port of Registry
"Hants, Cork" - weird name  ???

Name and Address of Sole Registered Owner or of Managing Owner when there are more Owners than One
"John Stirling, Queenstown, Cork"   ;D

Offline veryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 02 December 12 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Smash,
Curious - if John was 34 in 1868 then he was bn. abt 1834 some 10 yrs. after Catherine!!!! cradle snatching or he preferred older women.

Regarding the Merchant ship "Hants" - this was a Whitby Brig whose cargo was grain when it sank in 1865 at Ballycotton (just round the corner from Cobh) - I believe that she had set sail from Odessa.  I don't know if afterwards another ship carried the same name.

TTFN  Veryan

Offline veryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 23:44 GMT (UK) »
HI Smash,
Happy New Year to you and all who are helping to build the picture.
I do have have a complication to resolve in that I am in contact with a David whose wife is linked in with James Randall Doughty and he is seeking more info.on the line which I know is your forte - can you suggest a way whereby I can put the two of you in contact with each other?
He is on Ancestry but not Rootschat - mind I had the dickens of a job finding my way round this new layout.
Regards
Veryan :) 

Offline Smash Adams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 10 January 13 06:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Veryan,

Happy New Year to you too! I agree regarding the new layout, took me half a day to find 'reply'  ;D

I don't have any info online but I will happily share what I have about the Doughty's with David via email  :) He can contact me at- *

Until we crack another Stirling mystery, chat soon!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to protect against spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline veryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 10 January 13 22:38 GMT (UK) »
 :)Hi Smash,
Well the idea was OK but has been kicked into touch by "the Moderator" - the dictat is to send me a PM (I very nearly started blushing  :-[ ) - Personal Message, which can be found from the Home Page. Look forward to receiving same and putting you in touch.
TTFN
Veryan

Offline veryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 10 January 13 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Just had a thought Smash,
How many children are we up to now? 'cos I thought that 22 was pushing it but a couple of TV programs I have watched lately have approached this figure or equaled it.
G/night
Veryan

Offline Smash Adams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 11 January 13 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Veryan, have sent the PM!

I'm not so sure they actually had as many as 22 to be honest. My Gr- Aunt always says so, but I think it could just be a family story. James Randall Doughty was supposedly engaged to the eldest Stirling daughter and knew Mary as an infant, before waiting until she was of age and marrying her instead, but according to birth records there's only about a 13 year age gap? So it may have all been blown out of proportion somewhat...but maybe I'll be proved wrong!

Well we've defo got-

Catherine jnr
Ellen
Elizabeth
William
Mary
Jane

Possibly-
Janet (headstone)
Margaret
Mary- Ann

A fair number nonetheless :)

Offline Smash Adams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 11 January 13 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Okay wait, I've just had a proper look at my birth records and realise I've been telling lies. James Randall Doughty was born in 1849 and Mary Simpson Stirling 1866, which makes a 17 year age gap, so perhaps the family story is correct after all  ;)