Author Topic: STIRLING- Cobh (Queenstown) Cork  (Read 21431 times)

Offline veryan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: STIRLING- Cobh (Queenstown) Cork
« Reply #54 on: Friday 11 January 13 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Not you, telling porkies! - :-X
I find it darn difficult to keep Brenda's (my wife) and my family all together in my mind, and as for dates - forget it.
Now where was I?
'Oh' yes - you are thinking that your Gt.Aunt may now be right, if so, I have great (no pun intended) admiration for Catherine Sophia S, Snr.  Makes the research a bit of a challenge though.
However. as we are fairly sure as to the family Church I wonder if it is worth consideration to contact them to see if they can help with our efforts?
TTFN
Veryan

Offline Roger O Sullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 24 September 17 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
Interesting to see this name on your site:
Valentine Poole De Merisco Mairis
I am currently trying to research this family and to see if any descentants remain in Ireland or elsewhere
This family lived in Rosemount House in farran approx 1870 - 1882 approx
I have this info
Marriage of VALENTINE MAIRIS and JANE STIRLING
on 10 February 1904, Master Mariner, 1 Kings Terrace, Cobh
one baby son did not survive :(
Birth of VALENTINE MAIRIS on 05 November 1907
Death of VALENTINE MAIRIS in 1908, no other children in 1911 census
Trying to find out more about the children of
Valentine Poole De Merisco Mairis
Well done for this info on Stirling's Cobh, thanks, Roger

Offline Roger O Sullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 00:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Dathai for all your helpful information, every Mairis in the irish census and birth marriage and death records are the same family from Rosemount, in the 1911 census they said they had 11 children, 8 still living, I now have these names: Edward, Fannie, Irene, Florence, Frederick, Valentine,  Rosalie, Ruly.... they lived in 6 Vernon Ros St Lukes before Rosemount, 5 Mt Vernon Row after Rosemount and then Belvelly Coby with the son V, I wonder if any descendants still living in Ireland.... Thanks again for your help, my research is on Rosemount House and the people who lived there, I now can go from 1870 to date:

Valentine Poole De Merisco Mairis, Rosemount, ‎1870 - 1882, William Good ‎1882 - 1891, William A Stoakes ‎1892 - 1913, Thomas William Good ‎1913 - 1923, Denis Russell ‎1923 - 1970, Ross Corbett ‎1970 - 1972, Michael Hegarty ‎1972 - 1974, Jerry Wrixon ‎1974 - 1989, P C 1989 - to date... I am a Russell Gt Grandson & Grandson.... Kind regards, Roger

Offline CaliforniaWood

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 17 May 18 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hello from California,
I am the great grandson of Marian "Polly" Woodside whose daughter, Jeannie Woodside, died in 1903 as a result of a riding accident in California. The barque, Jeannie Woodside, was named after her; and was built by her father William John Woodside in Belfast. I happened upon a post on this website that mentioned the later ownership of the ship and that a painting of ship exists. I would appreciate any further information you can supply; and I am happy to provide additional information about Jeannie's family and their colorful history in Belfast and sailing around the world. Incidentially, the barque "Polly" Woodside, named after Jeannie's mother, is still afloat as part of the Maritime Museum in Melbourne, Australia.
I may have an opportunity to be in Cork for a couple of days this coming July, 2018; and I would welcome meeting anyone who would like to share family lore and tales of life at sea in the late 19th Century.
Cheers

Offline Ace99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 05 March 20 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Tonight I looked at images of Cork vital registrations for Catherine Stirling's death in 1904.  Record said she died of Pneumonia at home at Westbourne Place.  Informant was William Stirling.  She was 80 and died on 22 February, 1904.  Catherine was born in Mallow, Cork, Ireland and her father was John Hughes and her mother was Margaret Farmar/Farmer. (parents were not listed on her death record - I cobbled that information from FamilySearch.com).

William Stirling (son) died of Angina Pectoris at age 88 in Cobh, Cork, Ireland which made his birth likely 1852.  Jane Cromar Maris (his sister) was the informant of his death.

Margaret Stirling married Bryce Stewart Gay in Queenstown 8 March, 1875.  Witnesses were John Stirling Jr. (Father?) and William Stirling.  By the way, the couple had a daughter Katie Gay born elsewhere in Ireland.  Bryce died in Gibraltar.  I have no further record of Margaret or Katie Gay.

I am a descendant of John Stirling and Catherine Sophia Hughes.  My Great Grandfather was the younger son born 1857 in Queenstown.  He immigrated to the USA and married/divorced there.  He had worked briefly as a First Officer for the Scottish Anchor Shipping Lines.  He later became a sales man for a manufacturing company in the USA.  He always told family and officials he was from Scotland!  It took me 20 years of research to uncover his origins.  I hope the above information is helpful to all who are researching the family.

Offline Ace99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 18:56 BST (UK) »
To the best of my genealogical research ability I have determined these children of John Stirling and Catherine Sophia Hughes had children with descendants:
George Stirling (USA from 1884- present)
Margaret Stirling (Mrs. Bryce Stewart Gay in Ireland but Bryce died in Gibraltar and I do not know if Kate Hughes Gay had children)
Ellen Stirling, Mrs. John Thorpe (Brussels, then USA in North Carolina)
Elizabeth Stirling, Mrs. Henry Whitney (New York, USA)
Catherine Sophia Stirling, Mrs. Alfred Clemence (In England)
Mary Simpson Stirling, Mrs. Doughtey (In England but also perhaps South Africa, and Australia)
Please forgive any spelling errors here.

Some of us older cousins may be Third Cousins to living descendants.  This is preliminary research and I do not want to cause privacy issues so I stopped at this point with the exception of these posts and one communication via another genealogy site.

Offline Ace99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 17 December 20 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone found the grave sites for Catherine Sophia Hughes Stirling or John Stirling yet there in County Cork, Ireland?  I have not seen much of anything in my recent genealogical research.

Offline Ace99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 17 December 20 04:50 GMT (UK) »
A dam and lake in the United States of America, was originally named for a grandson of Catherine Sophia Hughes and John Stirling.  His mother was Ellen Stirling Thorpe.  His full name was John Edward Stirling Thorpe.  J.E.S. Thorpe was an Engineer and executive with ALCOA a leading American Aluminum manufacturer.  He also was a designer of hydro-electric generating dams.