Author Topic: Boys Family in East Kent Parishes  (Read 27441 times)

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Boys Family in East Kent Parishes
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 February 12 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, I'm interested in this thread because one of the names that recurs though my family is Boys, but as a christian name for the eldest male, and all Kentish based as far back as I can go.
The farthest back I have is Boys Simons or Simmons, b around 1723 no exact details confirmed, but died 1772 and buried in Marden.
I'm assuming that this unusual christian name came into the family with a marriage, presumably from a lady whose maiden name was Boys, but so far haven't managed to track her.   That is just an assumption but seems reasonable.
If this rings bells with any of you, I'd love to know.   Thanks for reading.

p.s. So sorry David, forget to say welcome to Rootschat!
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 February 12 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Welcome to RootsChat.  I hope your journey here will be a pleasant one.

I may be able to help you with your enquiries but I would need some specifics as to where you are stuck, such as names, last known event particulars (place and date or estimated date) as well as an idea of what you are immediately in need of in the way of data.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline DavefromKent

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 February 12 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
Many thanks for the welcome and the reponses to my original message.

In my message I mentioned a book I have called  "Under 37 Kings". To those interested in tracing the Boys Family as far as 1066 I have found a source for the book. It is on a CD in PDF format and obtainable from www.timelessgen.com for $15. This is not a sales pitch for the site, I searched for a long time to find a copy of the book to give to my brother. The book itself went out of print and the secondhand ones are expensive.

Gillian and Jacki
Thanks to AJ who put me onto the Walmer line I found Robert Boys & Mary Friend and found the line that goes all the way supposedly to 1066. I found some info from an online book called "Records of Walmer"that can be downloaded in PDF form from http://www.archive.org/details/recordsofwalmert00elvi. The rest came from a pedigree chart in  my book mentioned above.
I can send the chart to you once I have worked out how to do it in RootChat

David       

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 February 12 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

While I realize that you posted concerning Robert Boys and Mary Friend specifically for the benefit of Gillian and Jacki, I do wish to include a few additional finding details about that branch of the family for future researchers who happen upon these postings.

The family of Robert Boys and Mary Friend can be found in the Records of Walmer, as you so mention http://www.archive.org/details/recordsofwalmert00elvi. on the pedigree on page 363, in the 4th generation, and being the second son.

Dave, in your previous postings you are asking for information from the Molash area and subsequently stating that your "...immediate family line seem to be centered around Godmersham and the adjoining parishes...".  Forgive me, but how does this family at Walmer connect with your family around Godmersham.  Or, perhaps there is no connection but that you are attempting to find one.

I do not have access to the other book, Under 37 Kings, to which you refer. 

But, I do have easy access to just about all of the Bishop's, Archdeacon's and/or Parish registers for Godmersham, Molash and surrounding areas.  But, as those are in their native form they are not indexed.  So, I would need a clearly defined search strategy if you wished me to take a look in one of the registers.

If I can help, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline DavefromKent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 February 12 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan

My line is supposed to descend from Thomas and Thomazine Boys (1508) I took an interest in Robert Boys as  he is also descended from this couple.
According to my book the Bonnington, Hythe, Mersham, Willesborough, Uffington, Betzhanger Tenants, and the New Zealand branches start from this couple. The book was published in 1926 and the author was Lilian Boys Behrens. She gave the book to my father and other members of the male members of the Boys Family close to her.

The difficulty I have is connecting my immediate line to that of one of the branches mentioned above, it was quoted in an obituary I have that it is the Willesborough branch but as yet i have not made the connection.
So far I am up to Daniel Boys who married Mary Page in Crundale (1711) and lived in Molash  with their children.

Regards
Dave

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 February 12 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I have now had an opportunity to examine both Crundale and Molash for your Boys family.  Very diappointing results, I'm afraid. 

As to Crundale:  From 1711 back through time, there were no other Boys in any event category back to 1639 but loaded with Page events therefore I think must have been the Bride's parish.  For Crundale, I was able to examine the register right through the Interregnum and Civil War periods and found the register for those periods to be very well preserved.

As to Molash:  Other than a christening 19 Aug 1712 of Thomas son of Daniel and Mary, from that time back through to and including 1639/40 there were no other Boys events.  For Molash I do not have the register for the period of the Interregnum and Civil War but suspect as there were no other Boys events that it would be unlikely that any would appear for that time period should the register still exist.

Now, on a different front, I have found the following in my East Kent Families Database:

SURNAMEGIVEN NAMEEVTDATEYEARPARENTS/SPOUSEPLACESOURCE
BOYSDanielChr31 May1685Daniel/AnnLynstedBT
BOYESAnnBur17 Jan1688SellingBT
BOISDanielSPRATTElizabethMarr Lic1690Canterbury MLBOYDS G & B II
BOYSElizabethBur19 May1710wife  of David.  Note:  There is no David Boys at Lynsted and have to wonder if name had been misrecorded as David rather than Daniel.LynstedBT
BOISRobertChr19 Nov1693John/Anne.  Note:  I've included this entry as it is the only one with the same surname spelling as the marriage in 1711, but it may simply be a red herring.Boughton BleanPR BT

I'll keep my eye out for you and if I stumble across any other Boys that might be related to your fellow, I'll send it on.

Sincerely,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner

Offline Ainecollier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 February 12 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have just found that, after months of searching, my gggrandfather, Thomas Boys Morris, was born in Strood. His father was born in East Langdon - John Morris - and mother Sarah was born in West Langdon. When trying to figure out the Boys connection, I found this post AND have found some odd records in Ancestry of handwritten notes about the deaths of CAtherine Boys and Sarah boys in 1801 and 1806 (wondering if they are grand/great grandmothers of Thomas' mother Sarah and if her surname was Boys, given the coincidence of that unusual name, the family coming from the Langdons, and the fact that there seem to be a lot of Boys in that area. (Thomas born in 1816/John about 1787/Sarah about 1797)
Does anyone know about the Morris Boys connection?? I am coming up blank beyond the census records of 1841/51, no marriage, birth records (except for Thomas Boys), nothing for the parents.
 Thomas Boys Morris became a mariner, married hannah Hickman from Southampton in 1840, and though he died young, assuming that is why he does not live in the family home with his wife - she becomes head of household by 1851 (died at sea?), his full name shows up on his children's wedding banns (Thomas Boice/Boyce/Boys Morris; master mariner/deceased).
Any information to find the Boys connection that might help me continue to go back and to answer questions about the family origins would be VERY much appreciated!

Offline DavefromKent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 March 12 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
While at astandstill in my own research I thought I would have a look at Thomas Boys Morris.
Ancestry did not help much but to date www.familysearch.org did provide some info which I have provided in the attachment. If I have seen the correct father and mother for Thomas Boys Morris then there is an issue with parents marriage date and Thomas baptisim date

Hi Susan
I think the Lynsted Daniel Boys looks about right as far as the given years go and his children names seem to have carried onto his son's children names.
I will have to wait until the new Kentish Studies is opened in Maidstone or the Canterbury Archives building to be finished, before I can make closer checks 

Offline Derek Boys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am another newbie to this forum but with a lot of info about BOYS / BOYES families

I have a very large family tree of the Kent BOYS family in PDF format which runs to over 100 pages

If anyone wishes to have a copy - just ask - but I am not sure how this forum deals with attachments