Author Topic: Bebb  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Carolinenorthrop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bebb
« on: Monday 23 January 12 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find details of Catherine Bebb married to Nathaniel Bebb. Nathaniel was born in Bettws Cedawain about 1789. After they were married they lived in the Llanfair Caereinion area and had a daughter named Catherine who married John Jones from Llanerfyl. Any help greatly appreciated.  Caroline.

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Bebb
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 January 12 19:48 GMT (UK) »
I have a Nathaniel Bebb, b. 1788 @ tregynon. I don't know if that could be him.

As for the wife, can you supply more details? i.e. can you supply a full list of children with dates? Was she alive in the census and if so what did it say? Do you know where she died and how old she was?

One thing worth considering is that there were a lot of non-conformists in Montgomeryshire and Bebb is one name that is strongly connected with the Quakers.

Offline Carolinenorthrop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, Thanks for your comments.
I know nothing about Catherine the elder.
The only children I know Nathaniel b.1789 and Catherine had were Nathaniel b.1825 and Catherine b.1827.
Nathaniel b.1825 married Sarah b.1826 and they lived in Llanfair and then Pont Robert and they had 9 children.
Catherine b. 1827 married John Jones and they had a son named John.
With the families using the same christian names it does get very confusing.
Thanks for the information about the the name Bebb's connection  with the Quakers.
I will continue my search and any help would be most welcome.
Caroline

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 23:41 GMT (UK) »
This family is in the 1841 census:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/browse/view.aspx?dbid=8979&iid=MGYHO107_1438_1440-0051&pid=15103502&ssrc=&fn=Nathaniel&ln=Robb&st=g

but they were mistranscribed as Robb.

My foster-ancestor Nathaniel Bebb lived at the same abode, Ceunant & he had a Nathaniel in 1788 as mentioned. So Nathaniel is obviously his son.

If Catherine had her last child in 1827, that would give her as likely born c. 1787. There is a Catherine Bebb, bur. 1845 @ Llanfair C., giving her as born c. 1787. Though the nearest I can find is a Catherine born 1790 in Llanbrynamir. Though looking further I see her marriage names her as Harris, not Bebb:

NATHANIEL BEBB - m CATHERINE HARRIS, Llanfair Caereinion, 18 Jun 1824 (not seen)

In which case, she may be the Catherine Harry, bpt. 1786 @ Llanfair C.

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 October 15 18:20 BST (UK) »
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 17:37 GMT (UK) »
http://yba.llgc.org.uk/en/s-HUGH-EZE-1766.html

HUGHES , EZEKIEL ( 1766 - 1849 ), one of the early Welsh settlers in the far west of the U.S.A. ; b. 22 Aug. 1766 , son of Richard Hughes , Cwm Carnedd Uchaf , Llanbryn-mair . He appears to have had some little education at Shrewsbury . At the age of twenty he was bound apprentice to John Tibbott (see Tibbott family ) the clock-maker of Newtown . When his apprenticeship was over, he opened his own clock-making establishment at Machynlleth ( 1789 ), where he came under the influence of William Jones ( 1726 - 1795 ) of Llangadfan (q.v.) . In mid-July 1795 , he, Edward Bebb , George Roberts , and others left Llanbryn-mair and walked to Carmarthen and thence to Bristol ; on the 6 Aug. they sailed in the ‘ Maria ’ for Philadelphia where they arrived on the 25 Oct. After spending the winter in the city he, Edward Bebb , and one other set off in the spring on the long trail to the river Ohio . In three months time they arrived at Cincinnati , which at that time was ‘about the size of Machynlleth .’ There, near the Miami river and at no great distance from Paddy's Run , they bought land suited to their purpose. Hughes built a cabin, began to cultivate the land , and settled there with his cousin Edward Bebb . In Sept. 1802 he returned to Wales and m. Margaret Bebb of Bryn Aeron , Llanbryn-mair ( May 1803 ). He returned to the U.S.A. where, in a year's time, his wife d. and was buried in the first grave to be opened at Berea . In course of time ( 1808 ), Hughes took Mary Ewing for his second wife and nine children were born of this marriage. From time to time heavy responsibilities were thrust upon him, e.g. in 1805 he was charged with planning a new road from the river Miami to Hamilton town. He was also the first justice of the peace to be appointed in his district, an office which he discharged faithfully and mercifully. As the years went by he bought a great deal of land which he leased out at reasonable rates . In 1822 a chapel was built which became a place of worship for all the surrounding districts. Harrison , who became president of the U.S.A. , was a great personal friend of his and they attended the same class in Sunday-school .
Hughes continued to discharge his duties punctually both in the church and outside in spite of the lameness which handicapped him in his later years. Apart from building the chapel it was he who largely supported the ministry. He d. on Sunday afternoon, 2 Sept 1849 , and was buried the following day. He was described as a man who was ‘the friend of the poor, a true patriot, and a loyal Christian .’
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock