Author Topic: John McKenzie - Mitchell Library Lookup Request  (Read 4181 times)

Offline PhoenixRose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McKenzie - Mitchell Library Lookup Request
« on: Monday 23 January 12 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I have emailed the Mitchell Library twice to request some info but have received no reply so they are probably too busy to carry out research.

I wondered if any kind-hearted RootsChat member might be prepared to carry out a little detective work on my behalf as I live in the Channel Islands so it's difficult to visit!

I would like to try to find out where my Father went to school and I believe the Mitchell Library may hold this type of info.

My main problem is that I can't be sure if he was brought up by his birth parents or by relatives but here are all of his details:

Full Birth Name: John McLeod McKenzie (sometimes known as Ian)
Date of Birth: 25th June 1921
Father: Alexander McKenzie
Mother: Ruth Emily McKenzie (m.s. Reside)
Place of Birth: Paisley, Renfrewshire. Father's Domicile is 40 Well Street, Paisley but he was a house servant so I don't know if the whole family would have lived there.
If my father was later left in the care of other relatives, other family addresses would be: Watt Street, Greenock or Boyd Street, Greenock or Crow Road, Broomhill, Glasgow.

I don't know exactly what details are required but hopefully his name, date of birth and parents' names are a good start!

Many thanks
PhoenixRose

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: John McKenzie - Mitchell Library Lookup Request
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 January 12 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phoenix

I used to live just off Well St in the early 60s. Well St itself is basically Victorian tenements down both sides with shops on the bottom. I do recall one house tho (not sure of the number but 40 is possible as it was certainly on the even number side).

If he went to school round there then depending on his religion it would have been the West or Carbrook St (C of S) or St Mary's (RC). Carbrook St was demolished a number of years ago (I went there myself). The only other school was the John Neilston primary which was fee paying.

Paisley library would have records pertaining to these schools.

Ann :D
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline PhoenixRose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 January 12 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for the info Ann.

The family wasn't Roman Catholic and they wouldn't have been able to afford a fee-paying school so a Church of Scotland school seems most likely.

I will add the Paisley Library to my list!

:)

Offline elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 January 12 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Watt Street Greenock
nearest school would have been ardgowan primary
not sure about Boyd Street
Elaine
Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison

Offline PhoenixRose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Elaine

I contacted the Paisley Library but they said they don't hold school records and suggested that I try the Glasgow City Archives.

Unfortunately, the GCA is located at the Mitchell Library and has the same email address that I have previously emailed on two occasions and received no reply, so I am going around in circles!

I'll hold out hope that some kind soul will see this message and offer to search for the details next time they visit the Mitchell Library...

PR

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phoenix

It's worth ringing the Mitchell to 'remind' them you have mailed them (nicely of course). I've found that's worked in the past.  ;)

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline PhoenixRose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ann

I'll give it a try!

It's a bit difficult with being at work from 8-5 Mon-Fri which is why I tend to rely on emails and evening/weekend internet searches but I do want to find out so will make time to do it.

:D

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The good news is they are open Saturday. Also a late night in week but can't remember if Tuesday or Thursday.

Ann :D

Offline PhoenixRose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 January 12 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Ann

I've just received an email from the Mitchell Library with a sincere apology for the delay, which is due to their large workload.

Elaine has supplied a list of 32 archive lists that could be searched to look for my Father's school records but does not have the time to personally search through them due to the large number of enquiries the Library receives.

She has given me a list of researchers who can be employed so I may take that route.

To be honest, it's costing me a small fortune in membership fees for various family history websites and the latest batch of searches that I've paid for have come back with no info found so it's a little disheartening! I suppose it's quite an expensive hobby when you're trying to do it long distance but my bank account's not a bottomless pit so I can't afford to go too mad!

I realise it is also very difficult for people to help me sometimes as I have so little info that I can pass on to them so I need to find someone who's as relentless as I am, loves a challenge and doesn't just give up after looking through the first few records!

:)