Author Topic: John McKenzie - Mitchell Library Lookup Request  (Read 4183 times)

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McKenzie - Mitchell Library Lookup Request
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 February 12 19:15 GMT (UK) »
hi Pheonix Rose, this is ringing a bell with me. Do you know anything more about your McKenzie's? It just sounds possible to me that he may be related to my McKenzie's from Greenock. Do you know anything about your Alexander McKenzie and where he was born, any parents names?
McKenzie Grant Killin Gallagher/Gallacher

Offline PhoenixRose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 February 12 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie

I've just typed a loooong reply to you then lost it so here goes again!  :D

Funnily enough, I have been typing a draft article today for submission to the Greenock Telegraph as they have kindly agreed to publish my story to try and help me find some living relatives. Here is an extract from my first draft:

Great-Grandfather:        John McLeod McKenzie 1871-1919

Great-Grandmother:     Sarah McKenzie 1871-1946 (maiden surname McEvinn or McVinnie, I have found various spellings on old Registrar certificates as was often the case in those days)

Children of John and Sarah – listed by year of birth:

•   Alexander McKenzie 1892-1947 (my Grandfather), after 10 months of searching I found his death certificate last week, he died in London.

•   John McLeod McKenzie 1894-1961 - bachelor, died in Greenock

•   Margaret Lang McKenzie 1897-1963 - stayed in Scotland, married (and widowed) twice but no record found yet of any children.

•   Mary McLeod McKenzie (also known as Maisie) 1902-1986 – emigrated to Canada then moved to New York soon after. Married John McPherson, also from Scotland.

•   Edward MacKay McKenzie 1905-1974 - emigrated to Niagara Falls, New York

•   Adam McMillan McKenzie 1905 (twin of Edward, died a few days after his birth)

Grandchild of John and Sarah (my father): John McLeod McKenzie 1921-1990

Addresses for the family include: 
7 Boyd Street, Greenock
7 Watt Street, Greenock (1911 Census)
4 Brachelston Street, Greenock - address of John and his sister Margaret at their date of death

I am very interested to know if Margaret helped with the upbringing of my father as her address in 1940 was 284 Crow Rd, Broomhill, Glasgow and is shown as the address of my father's next of kin on his RAF records. This is strange as his parents were both still alive at the time.

Margaret was married and widowed twice - to Andrew Redpath and James Russell. Her death cert. was signed by a cousin, Thomas Sheriff.

I have other rather sensitive info about a member of the family who is potentially still alive and would be a very close relative. If you think we are connected, I can send you a private message to explain the details.

I hope it does turn out that we are related as you would be the first living descendant from my grandfather's side who I've been able to trace so far!

Look fwd to hearing from you again soon.

PhoenixRose  :D

Offline PhoenixRose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 February 12 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie

Sorry, it's been a long day and I just realised I neglected to answer your question!

Alexander was born in 67 Regent Street, Greenock.
His brother was born 2 years later in 14 Cathcart Street, Greenock.
Margaret and Mary were born at 9 Jamaica Street, Greenock.
Edward and Adam's birthplace was 35 West Stewart Street, Greenock - I think, as writing not very clear on birth certificate.

As mentioned earlier, by 1911, they were all living at 7 Watt Street.

Hope this helps!
 :D

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 February 12 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I'm so sorry I don't know anything about the more recent family. What rings a bell with me is that your John McLeod McKenzie may just be the brother of my great grandfather Angus McKenzie. It's just possible my mum and dad might know something of the family you are talking about and I will ask them. Both still alive and brought up in Greenock. They were born 1930 and 31.

The names are just so common it's difficult to be at all sure but the names John McLeod Mckenzie are quite significant in my family tree.

My gt grandfather was son of Murdo/Murdoch McKenzie and Flora McLeod born in Argylleshire. John, Angus's brother, and his sister Flora, were also born Argylleshire. The family moved to Greenock and remained there. I know that Flora died fairly young but don't know about John. I think there was also a Hugh McKenzie.

Have you managed to find any information on John? Do you have his marriage details as it would give mother and father,s name. That way I would know if they were linked.

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 February 12 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Just looking at your post again and note with interest that you have an Adam McKenzie in there somewhere. We have an Adam McKenzie too. Not sure your John McLeod McKenzie's birth date is working with my information but there some interesting overlaps.

Offline PhoenixRose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 February 12 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie

Could you please confirm which John McLeod McKenzie you wanted more info about as I have 3 listed above?

If it's my great grandfather, his parents were Alexander McKenzie and Mary Campbell McLeod.

I haven't found a link to a Murdoch, Flora or Hugh so maybe our families are not connected after all. On the other hand, perhaps I just haven't found the missing link yet!

However, if you are able to ask your Mum if she knows anything at all about my family, no matter how trivial she thinks it is, I would be very grateful - as I know so little about them, any info would be much appreciated  :)

Offline red_dog

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 03:12 BST (UK) »
I am fairly new to this site but I have a GG Grandfather named John MacKenzie.  He also had a sister named Flora who married James Matheson Allen in Canada.  They resided in Windsor.  My GG Grandfather from his obituary was born September 17, 1886 to a John MacKenzie and Mary MacLeod in Stornaway Scotland and Emigrated to Ontario Canada around 1913.  He married Kate (Catherine) Boyd Harkins also from Jamestown Scotland Married April 29, 1913 in Ontario. Had John Kenneth MacKenzie on August 1, 1913.  Emigrated to Palmyra Michigan in 1915. On December 29, 1916 they had another son Malcolm Hugh McKenzie (notice the change in the spelling of last names The A was dropped from MacKenzie for Malcolm) from there they moved to Lenawee County Michigan in Onsted Michigan.  They John and Kate, are both buried in the Maple Shade Cemetery in Onsted Michigan. Kate Mackenzie 1888-Feb 8, 1928 Died of Ovarian Cancer.  John Mackenzie September 17, 1886 - December 25, 1933 Died of Cancer of the Brain. I can not seem to find any records of this marriage between Mary MacLeod and John Mackenzie.  Could this be the John that you are searching for as well?  If not I will keep digging in my search, If so I would love to hear from you.

Thank You.

Offline PhoenixRose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 August 16 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Red Dog

Thank you for getting in touch and providing me with such detailed information about your family.

Unfortunately, I think we might be searching for different relatives. I haven't been able to match these dates to my tree. Also, I have a Mary McLeod on my tree but she married Alexander McKenzie, not John McKenzie. I'm not aware of any connections with the Stornaway area of Scotland either.

Sorry I can't be of help, I know how frustrating it can be, especially when there are so many John and Alexander McKenzie's in the historical records!

Good luck with your continued search, I hope you are able to find what you are looking for and I continue to search for more info about my Grandfather.

PR