Author Topic: Mawby - Long Lawford. A puzzle! *COMPLETED*  (Read 19477 times)

Offline Slipper

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mawby - Long Lawford. A puzzle! *COMPLETED*
« on: Tuesday 24 January 12 10:25 GMT (UK) »
In the 19th century there was 1 extended Mawby family in Long Lawford who descended from William Mawby & Elizabeth Matthews (married 1814) - fairly straightforward.  Then there was Mary.  I am sure she was related but I don't know how.

Mary had a daughter, Ellen, who was christened at Newbold 8.9.1844.  Mary was unmarried and she doesn't appear to have registered the birth.  In the 1851 census she was living in Rugby, working as a nurse, and is married - her surname being Batchelor.  Ellen is a lodger with a family in Long Lawford and there is no sign of Mary's husband.  In the 1861 census, Mary is back in Long Lawford.  She is a widow and is being visited by her daughter, Ellen Mawby.  According to the censuses, she remains in Long Lawford for the rest of her life and is bured in Newbold church in 1889.  Her death certificate descibes her as the widow of Joseph Batchelor.

I can't find her marriage anywhere, or the death of Joseph Batchelor.  What I have come across is a marriage at Newbold between Joseph Batchelor and Mary Clark - both of Long Lawford -  and the marriage is witnessed by John & Charlotte Mawby.  Is this a complete coincidence?  I can't find any subsequent trace of Joseph Batchelor and Mary Clark.  Any ideas please.

Slipper
Mawby, Warwickshire: Osborne, Gloucestershire & Brixton; Porter, Woolwich; Cocksedge, Badwell Ash; Carrier, Trowbridge.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Mawby - Long Lawford. A puzzle!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Slipper
There are 2 deaths registered for a Joseph Batchelor in Rugby,1 in 1858 & the other in 1859.
Who does Mary Clark give as her father on her marriage cert?
It's possible Mary was the product of a previous marriage or relationship & given the name Mawby on the remarriage of her mother & reverted back to her original name later,these things did happen.
jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Slipper

A few snippets that I have come across which may help and my apologies if you have this already but thought that if I tried to find out who John and Charlotte Mawby were then maybe it would help to find a link .................

I note with interest that in 1861 RG9 2211 6 5  Mary Bachelor and Ellen are living next door to .....
Charlotte Burton Head widow 79 Witton Warkwickshire
John Mawby son in law widow 42 Long Lawford - Railway Lab
John son 14 Lawford - ? Boy
Charlotte daugh 12 Lawford
Alfred son 3 Lawford

Could they be the witnesses John and Charlotte Mawby  ..........
1851 H0107 2069 - Long Lawford - Address Hereford Grounds
John Mawby Head mar 33 Long Lawford - Railway Lab
Charlotte wife 29 Long Lawford
John son 6 Long Lawford
Charlotte daugh 3 Long Lawford

Free BMD marriage Mar 1842 Charlotte Burton and on the same page John Morby Dist Rugby Vol 16 Pg 417

Then in 1871 RG10 3184 5 4 - John Mawby widower and Ann Vann married on the 4th April 1869 (source Freereg) his father was William Mawby Lab

Also have you ruled out the birth for Ellen Mawby Free bmd Qtr 3 1844 Rugby?

Regards

Z :)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Agree with Z I think they are the witnesses,John in 1841 is living with his widowed mother Elizabeth who is probably Elizabeth  nee Matthews.

jim
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline Slipper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim & Z

Thanks so much for your replies.

The John & Charlotte you have found are the witnesses. (They are incidentally my g.g.grandparents). Further, their son, also a John, was witness at Ellen's wedding in 1889.  Ellen married John Lake and she was known within the family as Aunt Lake.

I have researched and ruled out the Ellen Mawby birth you have found together with another Ellen and a Female.  I have also tried all manner of spellings for Mawby and drawn a blank but I think sometimes births weren't registered.

Of the 2 Joseph Batchelor deaths, one is a child and the other could I suppose be the man as he is of the right age (born c.1806).  He died in the Workhouse.

Mary Clark gives her father as Thomas Clark, Labourer, and she was residing in Long Lawford at he time of her marriage.  Maybe she did 'change her name' as you suggest but would Ellen have retained the Mawby name?  I don't know.  There were certainly very few other Mawbys around.

On balance, do you think Mary Mawby is likely to be Mary Clark or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Slipper
Mawby, Warwickshire: Osborne, Gloucestershire & Brixton; Porter, Woolwich; Cocksedge, Badwell Ash; Carrier, Trowbridge.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 19:10 GMT (UK) »
I think there are too many Mawby connections for it to be a coincidence.According to the census Mary was born around 1808-12
which is prior to Elizabeth Matthews marriage to William Mawby.I would go down this route & find out if Mary could be Elizabeth's daughter.

jim
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline Slipper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jim - I'll give this a try.

Slipper

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Slipper

Whilst taking a look at various information I have just come across something which I think is worth a mention

I was wondering who Frederick aged 4 was as shown with the Mawby family in 1841 H0107 1137 F10 Pg 15 and could not seem to find him in any later census ??? But curiously whilst looking at possible name connections those of Mawby, Clarke, Vann, Mathews and Bachelor I came across this:-

Baptism Frederick Clarke Newbold on Avon 18th Sept 1836 Mother Mary Clarke servant

Unfortunately I also came across his burial on the 28th Nov 1841 he was only 5 the son of Mary Clarke servant

I was also wondering whether this could be Thomas Clarke as shown in the marriage of Mary Clarke and Joseph Bachelor

1841 H0107 1137 Bk15 F13 Pg20 - Civil Parish Newbold Upon Avon
Thomas Clarke 40 - Agri Lab
Ann 40
John 20 - Shoemaker
All born in County

Sorry thinking aloud here but if you follow the Clarke family I note the name Ellen seems to appear, as it does not seem that common amongst the Mawby family

and another interesting find was ................................

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Me again ;D

1841 H0107 1137 Bk15 F10 Pg14 - Civil Parish Newbold Upon Avon
Benjamin Woodhouse 35 - Carpenter
Sarah 26
Charles Townsend 11
Jane Bacheldor 16 - FS
Thomas Vann 34 - Gardener
All born in county

and then Thomas Vann in 1861 RG9 2211 15 23 and 1871 RG10 3184 12 18 - Civil Parish Long Lawford
John Mathews head mar 55 Lawford - Bricklayer
Ann wife 47 Lawford nee Vann
Thomas son 17 Lawford - cannot read occupation
Thomas Vann 54 Lodger Lawford - Gardener

John Mathews and his wife Ann are living not far from Elizabeth Mawby nee Mathews in 1841

There does appear to be quite a few Mathews in Newbold on Avon on freereg so maybe just a coincidence but was rather intrigued to find a Bachelor and a Vann in the same household which then led me back to the surname Mathews and on the very same page Elizabeth Mawby

Forgive me if you have this already but maybe it will help you to solve this puzzle ;D

All the best

Z :)