Author Topic: Mawby - Long Lawford. A puzzle! *COMPLETED*  (Read 19468 times)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Mawby - Long Lawford. A puzzle!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 17:58 GMT (UK) »
You've been busy.Mary Clark was born around 1808-12 so I think this Thomas would be too young to be her father.
In a small village like Long Lawford there are always going to be families marrying into other families & one way or another a lot will be related in some way which makes it hard to unravel but a good find.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

Overlooked the age of Thomas ;D ;D

Maybe a relative ???

Yes I agree it certainly will be a tricky one to unravel

All the best

Z :)

Offline Slipper

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 January 12 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Z and Jim

This is so helpful.  I hadn't thought of Frederick possible being Clarke.  I have in the past searched for him as a Mawby and found nothing.  I've decided to get a copy of his death cert. to see if it holds any clues.  I'll let you know.

I still can't find Mary's christening, as a Clarke or otherwise but am continuing to search.  I don't know where William was born as the only earlier Mawby in Newbold parish records was 1721.  I thought knowing more about Mary might help but if she is Elizabeth's daughter then it won't!  Elizabeth is easier as she was born in Long Lawford and christened, I think 5.5.1776, the daughter of Richard and Dorothy Matthews.  There was, incidentally, a Thomas Matthews christened 8.10.1809, the son of Elizabeth Matthews but whether this was my Elizabeth, I don't know.

I'm looking at the Clarke families in Long Lawford and they come together quite neatly with William + Elizabeth & their offspring and Thomas + his wives & theirs.  I think Thomas only had two wives bt the names always change!  There is Sarah (baptism of son); Ann 1841 census; Elizabeth 1861 census; and Fanny in the 1871 census.  Fanny was definately a different one.  Perhaps it was his father who caused the trouble???

Thanks again

Slipper
Mawby, Warwickshire: Osborne, Gloucestershire & Brixton; Porter, Woolwich; Cocksedge, Badwell Ash; Carrier, Trowbridge.

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 January 12 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Slipper

I hope you don't mind but have come across this which could be of interest .............

1841 H0107 1137 Bk18 F 12 Pg 17 - Civil Parish Rugby - Address Moreton Rd

Transcribed as Jork Barchola????

I think this should be Jos Batchelor Male Servant b 1806 - born in County

Cannot find him in 1851 but would appear to tie in with the Joseph Batchelor whose death you mention earlier in the workhouse and oddly enough cannot find the workhouse of Rugby in 1851 either ???

And you probably have this already but just in case ................ possibility?

1841 H0107 1137 Bk18 F 4 Pg 1 - Civil Parish Rugby - Address Church St
Mary Clarke 30 - Female Servant - born in County

Anyway this could be something and nothing but I love a good puzzle and I do hope that this will not remain a mystery for you for too long.

All the very best

Z :)

Offline Slipper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 January 12 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Z

I don't mind at all, in fact I'm very grateful for your help.

I think you might be right about friend Jork.  It's certainly the best thing we've got so far.

Also Mary Clarke - yet another coincidence.  We have two Marys both born in or connected to the village of Long Lawford; both born at about the same time; both working as servants; both working in Rugby at some time; both having children before they were married and both marrying a Joseph Batchelor! Yet, if they are the same person (as would seem increasingly likely) why did she always call herself Clarke except at the christening of her daughter and why did her daughter go on to call herself Mawby?  I sometimes think I'm going round in circles and missing something obvious.

I'm away after tomorrow for about a week but when I return I hope to have the death cert. for Frederick and I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again

Slipper
Mawby, Warwickshire: Osborne, Gloucestershire & Brixton; Porter, Woolwich; Cocksedge, Badwell Ash; Carrier, Trowbridge.

Offline Slipper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 February 12 16:34 GMT (UK) »
The death cert. of Frederick Clarke did not name Elizabeth Mawby as I had hoped but I'm still sure this must be the child living with her in the 1841 census.  He died 25.11.1841 of meningitis; son of Mary Clarke, servant; and was registered by Sarah Burton who was present at the death.  In the 1841 census he was the only Frederick in the village and the ages tally.

One other small find - at the marriage of John and Charlotte Mawby, the witnesses were John and Mary Clarke.  They both signed their names but Mary's signature is different to that on her marriage certificate with Joseph Batchelor  where she also spells the name without an 'e' on the end.  Happy Days!

Slipper

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 February 12 17:15 GMT (UK) »
It all depends on where the info. has come from.If you have her marriage cert. from the GRO you will have a copy of a copy,one that was filled in by the Registrar so the handwriting & possibly spelling may be different.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Slipper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 February 12 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

Yes, it is from the GRO.  Thanks for that as I hadn't realised.

Slipper

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 February 12 12:38 GMT (UK) »
These Matthews in Newbold and Long Lawford are my family.  It is fairly confusing because Long Lawford was in the parish of Newbold on Avon.

Richard Matthews (1745) who married Dorothy Macwheber 19 Oct 1769 was the son of my ancestors William Matthews (1702) and Mary Brown.

John Matthews who married Ann Vann was the son of William Matthews (1769) and Sarah Baggott.  John had a brother William (1791) who is my ancestor.

William (1769) was the son of George Matthews (1742) and Mary Liggins (alias Checkland)  George was Richard's brother.

When you looking at the Elizabeths I agree the things are much more confusing.  Elizabeth daughter of William Richard and Dorothy would have been 33 when she had the illegitimate son Thomas.  She would have been 38 when and if she married William Mawby.

Do they have any children whose births are consistent with this marriage late in life?
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk