Author Topic: Great saxham birth  (Read 3740 times)

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Great saxham birth
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Taken from Great Saxham parish register.

Children of Henry and Emily Sharpe

Harriet 21st June 1846
George 2nd August 1846 (I did study these two entries carefully but this definitely appears to be correct  ??? )
Margaret Twenty-something November 1848
Arthur 4 August 1850
Henry 20 February 1853
Elijah 21st June 1857 bn 13th May
Joseph 22nd April 1860

Also spotted this burial - not sure if he's yours though - Timothy Sharpe buried 13th March 1843 age 82

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A bit of old Blarney castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi annes,
            Thanks for all that its what I want names and dates, people, it puts family members in place order very pleased with this info.

many thanks annes .............mick
Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.
Atkinson...N-Yorks.    Irvine... Sothern England
Cook...glouc/shire.    Alderton... Thingoe/Suffolk

Offline Barry Sharpe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 February 18 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks also, i came across this looking through a family tree, from a relative who compliled this in   Canada The relative has done a brilliant job, I apparently have a Great, Great, Great, Great, Great Gandfarther burried in the local church a gentelmen by the name of Abraham J Sharp. But thats as far as it goes so maybe i can find out some more with thew information in this post.

Thanks

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 February 18 20:12 GMT (UK) »

There's a lot of greats whats the death date , there's a Abraham J  Sharpe aged 74 in the parish
  of Risby in the 1871 census on page 17 and the rest of family on 18, he gave Little Saxham as
  place od birth, if that's any use it will some thing to work on.
  Mick
Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.

Offline Barry Sharpe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 February 18 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Abraham Julian Sharp
1796–1881
BIRTH ABT 1796 • Suffolk, England
DEATH 8 FEBRUARY 1881 • Suffolk, United Kingdom

it is sharp without the e but i have noticed that it is possible his father may well have had the "e" does anyone know if there was rhyme or reason for using the "e"

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 11:00 GMT (UK) »
   Hi Barry
   The reason is the clergy at the time when looking for your Ancestry back then (E) got added
   for no good reason, were the church person was educated who wrote in the parish reg, I have
   all ways took the E with a pinch of salt, its not till the BMD's got written out officially and they
   become legal documents and one recorded them for official purposes, and the parish register
   took a step back, all so as the people started to migrate about and education was getting its
   nose into village life ( Whats your name;A J Sharp; is that with an E or with out, do not know),
   so if the registrar added an E it tended to stay, I have quite a few early folk who's name has
   got distorted by dialect, think of the clergy man was educated at Cambridge and the local
   family has all ways lived in Saxham area and there broad Suffolk dialect no education explanes
   a lot, I have Aldertons in the area and there name is Ollerton in some parishes, so as I say E
   forget it for back then keep an open mind how many ways can you spell SHARP'E you will be
   surprised.      mick

Offline Barry Sharpe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Mick

Very much appreciated..   

I am new at this so in one sence i am very lucky that one of my farthers cousins has done some serious amount of work on that side of the tree, i suspect the downside will be that getting new facts will be much harder.

However i do have the other side of my tree my mums side and that is looking to be very interesting very early on.   

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 15:07 GMT (UK) »

Hi Barry
      there's so many avenues to follow if you get down say 8 generations you are looking at about
   800/1000 family members, I have been mucking around with this for 40 odd years and at times
   gets very frustrating, no two parish records are the same, some are clearly written others, well,
   the best are giving age's dates family names etc, as I say earlier keep a very open mind and
   remember what was written was hit and miss, local accents and dialog, I have one that has
   14 different ways of being recorded in the 1600/1700's registers, have fun...mick