Author Topic: CROZIER/DOUGLAS/DRAPER/LEWINS/ HALL/LAWSON Fam. DURHAM  (Read 7308 times)

Offline koha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alice Crozier Born 1863
    • View Profile
CROZIER/DOUGLAS/DRAPER/LEWINS/ HALL/LAWSON Fam. DURHAM
« on: Friday 13 May 05 02:16 BST (UK) »
I'm researching my CROZIER  family tree.

Thomas Wilkinson was Father of Thomasina Wilkinson who married Henry Turner ( about 1850's)
Henry & Thomasina  had , amongst others, Alice Turner b.1863.
Alice Turner Married William Crozier.  Houghton-le-spring.1881.
Alice & William had 11 children.
William Crozier jnr.b.1880/81 New Herrington.   Died 16th Feb 1909.
Thomasina Crozier.b.1882.Boyne.Co Dur. Died about 1915.  She was  Married  to Benjamin Hanton. born about 1878.married at. Lanchester.  Aug.1906. (his father was called George Hanton)
Agnes Crozier.b.1884.Boyne.   Married  At Beamish on 2nd Dec 1905. to William Douglas. b. about. 1881. ( His father was also a  William Douglas)
Henry Crozier. b. 1886.Stanley.
Elizabeth Crozier. b.1888. Stanley.   Married Mark Hall, b. about 1884 ( his father was John Hall)   on 2nd Dec 1905. St Andrews Church. Stanley. Durham.
Thomas Crozier. b. 1890. Stanley.   Died 16th Feb 1909.
Alice Crozier.b.1892. Stanley. Married at Lanchester on 24th Feb 1912  to Robert John Gill b.about 1885. ( His father was also a Robert Gill)
John Crozier.b. 1894. Stanley.   Married at Craghead, Lanchester. on 4th Jan. 1919. to Isabella Draper.  b.about.1898. ( Her father was William Draper)
George Crozier. 1896. Stanley.  Married  at Lanchester, Beamish on 24th Aprl.1920. to Mary Ann Lewins. b. about.1899. ( Her Father was called Foster Lewins)
Margaret Ann Crozier. b. 1900. Stanley.  Married  at Lanchester, on 25th Feb.1922. to William Beck  Lawson. b. about. 1896.  ( His Father was called George Lawson)
Hilda Crozier .b. Jan.1903 Stanley Durham. Died Sussex Aug 1972. ( My Gran)

My GGrandfather - William Crozier snr (53) and two of his sons, William jnr (29) and Thomas Crozier(18yrs) were all three killled in the West Stanley Pit Disaster of 16th Feb. 1909.
Alice Crozier Nee Turner died in 1926  at 64 years of age.and is buried in the east Stanley graveyard.
 I would love to learn more about the remaining family members.

Rowland Crozier .b. 1833 Gosforth. Co Durham.  Married Mary Ann Hemsley 1854, her fathers name was William. Mary Ann died at just 31 yrs of age in 1860 of Bronchitis.  Rowland &  Mary Ann  Had at least one child  a son - William Crozier b.1856. Shoulder of Mutton Lane, Gosforth. Coxlodge.Co Durham.( He was my Grandfather who married Alice Turner and who was killed in the pit 1909)
Just one year later in 1861 Rowland Crozier married Sarah Price.  She was born about 1833 in Muggleswick, Northumberland.
Rowland went on to have several children with Sarah Price

Mary Ann Crozier.b.1862. Gosforth.
Margaret J Crozier.b. 1864. Gosforth. Co Durham.
Sarah Elizabeth Crozier. b. 1867. Ryton. Durham. Married John Hutchinson,  Lanchester. Mar quar. 1889.   Dau  Dorothy Hutchinson b. 1890/91. Tanfield. Durham.
John Crozier.b. Ryton. Durham.

I would welcome any information.
Best wishes
Frances
Auckland
NZ

DURHAM: CROZIER/DRAPER/LAWSON/LEWINS/DOUGLAS/HUTCHINSON/  Hall/GILL/ HANTON.
BERKSHIRE: SEAMAN
CORK, IRELAND:  SEAMAN/STANTON/LYONS/MAHONEY,
CUMBERLAND:  FARREN/MOSSOP/BROCKLEBANK
LANCASHIRE: SIMPSON

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: crozier family durham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 05 15:46 BST (UK) »
You may have all this but here it is anyway!
1891 census 132 West Stanley Tanfield
Rowland Crozier 58 Coal miner b Tanfield
Sarah 58 b Muggleswick
Margaret 27 b Northumberland  ???lodge?
John 21 coal miner b Durham Stells??
Dorothy E Hutchinson g da 9 months b Tanfield
On FreeBMD there are deaths for a Rowland Crozier age 80 in Gateshead Dec 1881 10a 390 (presumably the one b 1811 in the 1881 census) and also for one aged 60 in Jun 1892 Lanchester 10a 154.  That must be yours.
Hope this is helpful
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: crozier family durham
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 May 05 16:32 BST (UK) »
I am putting 1891 on for you as it gives slightly different places of birth from the ones you posted.  May help a bit in future serahces.  Especially as there are lots of Croziers in Coxlodge.
P4086 F50 36 High Stanley Tanfield
William Crozier 36 Coal Miner b Northumberland Coxlodge
Alice 28 b Tanfield
William 11 b New Herrington
Thomasina 9 b Little Burn?
Agnes 7 b Brancepeth
Henry 4
Elizabeth 2
Thomas 7 months all b Tanfield
There are various other census records which might interest you but you may have them.    If you can afford it it would be well worth your paying to join ancestry.co.uk - you will find masses on it.  Similarly www.1837online.com has all births deaths and marriages on it so you would be able to find Sarah's maiden name from either their marriage - which gets you a generation back too - or from a birth certificate for a child.
Andrea

Offline koha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CROZIER/DOUGLAS/DRAPER/LEWINS/LAWSON Fam. DURHAM
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 June 05 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea
Did I forget to reply to your postings for me?    Please forgive my oversight.
The 2 you sent were both new to me and interesting.  In particular the first one which gave the name of a grandchild ( Dorothy Hutchinson) of my great, great grandfather Rowland Crozier.  I had never heard of her before. 
Thank you for the trouble you took to help me.
Best Wishes
Frances.
Auck. NZ.

Offline obebillknobe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 August 05 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Koha,
Your Agnes Crozier married my Grandfathers(Cornelius) brother William.Their father was also,as you say, William. Agnes's address at the time was 12 John Street, Stanley and her age was listed as 22 years. Her father was William Crozier. I have the wedding date as 2nd October 1905 and the church was St Andrews in Stanley.
After they were married they continued to live at 12 John st, where they had a daughter, Violet, who was born on 15th Feb 1906 and christened at St Andrews, on 18th March 1906.
Best wishes
William Douglas
Douglas, Forster, Turnbull, Chilton, Tomkinson, Dimmick, Hunter, Mcleod, McKinnon, McTaggart, Jago

Offline koha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 August 05 11:47 BST (UK) »
Dear William
Thank you for your message....It seems we do have a connection.
I know quite a bit about several of the Crozier family children but I had very little info on Agnes.....I did not know about Violet.  Do you know if they had any other children?  - it seems likely that they did.
St Andrews Church, Stanley was a focal part of their lives.     I take it you know all about the mining disaster of 1909 West Stanley,   that took the lives of William Crozier Snr ( Aggie's Dad) and two of her brothers, William Jnr & Thomas.  In March of this year a new & beautiful memorial headstone was erected in St Andrews Churchyard that bares the names of the miners ( the Crozier menfolk included)who were buried in two mass trenches.
I learned recently that the Douglas & Crozier Clans joined together to fight the landowners back in the 1600/1700s. Together they were a force to be reckoned with.
where in the world are you William?
I would warmly welcome any further information about Agnes & William.
Kind Regards
Frances
Auckland
NZ.

Offline obebillknobe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 August 05 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Francis,
I don't have a great deal more as William and Agnes are not in my direct line I have not researched them in detail. The information I had was found as I went along and some picked up from the family. I actually got it from the original records of St Andrews that were held in Durham County Archives. That was around 30+ years ago. At the time I also found a St Andrews tombstone for Agnes Douglas died 11th Decembr 1919 aged 3years. I don't know if this is connected but it may be.
Other information which you might find useful (but this is not evidenced) is as follows-
William and Agnes's children-
Violet
Ina - she married a William Easton from South Moor (near Stanley)
Alice - may have moved to the uk midlands
Ruby
Agnes - see above
William - who died in the pit explosion
William and Agnes lived in Stanley and later moved to Pelton (a few miles east of Stanley)
That's just about everything I have. I know about the memorial headstone but I haven't seen it yet. I will do that soon as I live just a few miles from Stanley. I do have a memorial plate which was sold to fund the headstone. The 'Croziers' William, Thomas and William are named on the plate.
I hope this helps,
Best wishes,
William Douglas (Bill)
Douglas, Forster, Turnbull, Chilton, Tomkinson, Dimmick, Hunter, Mcleod, McKinnon, McTaggart, Jago

Offline koha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 August 05 12:49 BST (UK) »
Dear Bill
Thank you so much for all this information, it certainly is interesting, and  sure to be helpful..
I hope you will go and visit the memorial headstone in St. Andrews, Bill.  It is a wonderful tribute to all the men and boys who lost their lives that dreadful day. I have seen many photo's of it from the memorial service. With the help of some very kind internet friends in Stanley ( I have never been there myself)I was able to take a small part in the campaign.  I did hear about the plates that were sold to raise funds but never saw one.
I'm off to bed now......nearlly midnight hear!!
Thank you again Bill for your thoughtfulness.
I hope you will keep in touch.
Kind Regards
Frances.

Offline JULES63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CROZIER/ HALL/LAWSON Fam. DURHAM
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 October 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances

Oh my goodness.  I am dumbstruck by all the messages I have just read.  I really hope you will get in touch as my grandmother was Elizabeth Crozier (Hall).  I haven't got as much info as you but I am so so fascinated by all that you have found out so far.  I would love to hear from you.  Also the photo you have of my Great Grandmother Alice.  Wow wow and double wow is all I can say at the moment.  I would so love to see all the photos you have acquired.  Obviously I will pay you for them if need be.  Anyway, I am just so thrilled to hear all about the family.  I am not sure of our relationship but obviously we are!!  Are we second cousins?  I live on the south coast of England and see that your grandmother died in Sussex.  Was it in Littlehampton or Worthing?  How did she get down here?  My grandmother had a tough life I believe.

Anyway it is getting late here and I am tired so will end here and hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards  Julie Johnson