Author Topic: John WITTER  (Read 18011 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John WITTER
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 26 February 15 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

An old NSW Barwon Parish Map has John Witter's blocks marked.

Gerry

Offline twinks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 26 February 15 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gerry, I have copies of the old Barwon parish maps. That is why I started searching for John Witter as his land was part of the property that my grandfather bought in 1916, with an existing house. I suspect that Witter may have selected the land in the early 1890s. First record found for him at Baradine was NSW Govt. Gazette 1896.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 26 February 15 09:33 GMT (UK) »

That's good that you have discovered the maps.  The 1895 NSW Country Directory has John Witter in the District of Coonabarabran as a grazier at Goorianawa.

Gerry

Offline twinks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 26 February 15 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Gerry can you give me the link for that reference please. The whole area is called the Goorianawa Valley (including the town of Baradine that was originally part of a pastoral run named Barradean occupied by James Walker in 1837) In 1877 part of this was bought by Cuthbert Fetherstonhaugh (an Irish immigrant)with partners, and named Goorianawa Station, and managed by him for 20 years.  The name has remained but the property has been greatly reduced and part of this was added to my family's property in the 1930s. Witter's land (that became the home paddocks for our property ''Caledonia") adjoined Goorianawa Station. Coonabarabran is a nearby large town.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 26 February 15 11:43 GMT (UK) »

There is no link as such the "Hall's Business, Professional and Pastoral Directory, NSW, 1895" is one of the data bases of a genealogical service that I subscribe to.

There are 10 persons listed under the Farming Section, Coonabarabran, Goorianawa.

Ed. W, Beazley, grazier
C. Fetherstonhaugh, grazier
Francis. Hibbert, grazier
Jas. Hodges, farmer
Thos. Judge, farmer
Al.f Masman, farmer
Alf. M, Masman, farmer
Hy. Masman, farmer
Wm. Siely, grazier
John Witter, grazier

Gerry

Offline Penelope Jane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 10 August 15 08:21 BST (UK) »
I have been looking into the person who built our old home on Bobbin Head Road, Turramurra.  I believe it was a John Witter who's wife Robina died many years after him 1968?  We bought this home in 1971 so we never met the original owners. 
I know this is going to sound creepy. 
When we moved into our first home, I was very close to giving birth to our first child.  One night, close to dawn I woke up to find a man standing beside my bed, I wasn't scared and I said 'Hello!'  This man wearing a big bushy beard and dressed in brownish coloured bib and brace overalls, looked at me and said, 'Don't worry everything is going to be alright now.'    I didn't think anything about this incident it was comforting if anything and I was busy moving in then my child was born so it was some time later that I told our neighbours about seeing this man and they looked shocked and told me it had to be Mr Witter. 
Just last week, 44 years later, an old friend of mine mentioned that he knew a fellow who had lived on Bobbin Head Road as a child and he told my friend he believed that our old home was known to have a ghost and he and his young friends were always on the look out for this ghost. 
Does anyone know of this?  and is there anyone who might have a photo of John Witter please.
cheers Pennie

Offline borderman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 10 August 15 13:46 BST (UK) »
penelope jane....please contact me

Offline Penelope Jane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 04:33 GMT (UK) »
 How do I contact you privately?  Don't worry I found out.  cheers Pennie

Offline Witters of Halsall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 05 February 18 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to activate an old post. I am interested in learning more about John Witter who came to Australia. I am researching the family of Richard Cheetham Witter who came to Sydney in 1920. He was the older brother of James William Cheetham Witter or Titanic fame. I was wondering if you have any ancestry to see if they are related. This family dates to 1720 in Aughton then Halsall, then Liverpool than Southampton. You will see my posts under Witter's of Halsall.