Author Topic: Grassington School 1914. Part 1.  (Read 12929 times)

Offline Z00tegem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grassington School 1914. Part 1.
« on: Sunday 29 January 12 15:22 GMT (UK) »
In August 1914 Grassington School posed for the School Photograph and the Headmistress at the time, Mrs Chapman wrote the names of most of the pupils underneath and there are so many local names that one instantly recognises. Three of the photograph's have no name & one has a name crossed out. Some of the pictures correspond to other studio photographs I have of the time taken By Grimshawe brothers of Grassington.

Does anyone recognize the children with the names missing?

Are there any relatives, of the pupils who read this forum, who would like to provide me with some background information about the children of Grassington School from 1914.

The size of the photograph, on two pages, means that it has to be scanned in 4 pieces. I will post each part as a separate post to make responses more manageable.

The first Photograph has Dorothy & Margaret Easterby as a center piece & contains the missing/crossed out pictures.

Names are Mrs Chapman, Jos Cousins (crossed out), Allan Stephenson, Hilda Pattinson, Geo. Benson, Evelyn Blagden, Geo. Easterby, Cyril Walmsley, UNKNOWN, H Griffin, Bertie Hill, Hannah Stubbs, Mary Chapman, Marjory Blagden, Florie Nichols, Edna Darwin, UNKNOWN, UNKNOWN, Charlie Smith, Reggie Richmond & Mary Ibbotson. Mary Bownas, Dora Ibbotson, Kathleen Beckwith, H. Ibbotson & Ed. S Percival also appear on the next post as I have had to crop scans to fit in with upload sizes.

Thanking you in advance.

Ben

Offline Z00tegem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Grassington School 1914. Part 1.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 15:22 GMT (UK) »
So many local names & so many hits on the four posts.

Does nobody have any information on the families from Grassington?

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 10:34 GMT (UK) »
I'll bet the Local Studies library at Grassington, if there is one, or Skipton or wherever is nearest would love to have copies of those pics you have.

charlotte

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 22:20 GMT (UK) »
http://www.cpgw.org.uk/advSearch.cfm

Obviously the children wont appear in the above record however its possible some of family members do....Theres a number of men from local Grassington area in the records

Ady :)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 February 12 10:16 GMT (UK) »
If there is a Grassington FHS I'll bet they'd know about those kids' families and descendants.

There is a Dales FHS, or was ten years ago.

charlotte

Offline Z00tegem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 February 12 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Charlotte.

There is Grassington Museum & what is now the Wharfedale History Society which covers the Dales but looking at the site it's members seem to be interested in the lower Wharfedale area ,but do hold meetings in Threshfield (they use to be in Grassington). Skipton Library also has an archive of material.

I like to share what I have, especially with family members who may not have pictures of their ancestors, but I have found that once you pass the pictures on you loose control of the information that comes in and you are relying on them to pass on information. What I try & do is put posts on other web sites to say where I have posted the material. So I put a post on the Grassington Web site to say where the pictures are but you forget just how many sites seek the same material & I had forgotten the WHS so will drop them a line. I also posted a request in Grassington for 'The Ridge' but no response yet. My gut feeling is that it would be on Raines Lane which was just below where I lived in Raines Meadows.

Thank's for the prompts it keeps the grey matter moving.

Ben

Offline Z00tegem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 February 12 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ady,

Thanks for the interest and link. When they were setting up the site I provided some material for them but like I have just replied to Charlotte I had forgotten the site as it does not seem as active as it was but I will revisit it & see what I can find.

Thanks again

Ben

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 February 12 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Ben, It was Wharfedale HS that I was thinking about ::)

charlotte

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 February 12 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Here's a pic of The Ridge in Grassington.