Author Topic: Grassington School 1914. Part 1.  (Read 12836 times)

Offline cravenfault

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grassington School 1914. Part 1.
« Reply #27 on: Friday 12 July 13 09:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. I certainly remember the Grassington bus from Skipton - I was invariably dropped off between the quarry and the river as I was a very bad traveller, and rarely made it as far as the bus station! My Grandparents were called Nauwelaers and had moved to Grassington from Bradford in the '30's or '40's. They had to leave Far Meadows when my Grandfather died around 1950 and the family then moved to Town Head. The other surname I remember from my brief time at the school was Patrick - one of the boys broke my teddy bear - mazing what you remember  :-[.  Craven

Offline Z00tegem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 15 July 13 20:53 BST (UK) »
Me again,

I am sorry I missed the post on Grassington School Part 1. I have some pictures of Kit Chapman outside Church house taken from glass slides & I have a couple of photographs, of his vehicles, taken at various places in the Dales. I would love to see any photographs you have & share information about a very important Dales Family.

Offline Z00tegem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 15 July 13 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Craven,

I think the boy you remember was Hedley Patrick, the son of Wilf Patrick who ran a very large building firm. They had a large house on the corner of Raines Lane & Station Road & their yard/shop was at the top of Station Road.

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi just wanted to say l have found all the talk and pics of Grassington School very interesting.
My maternal grand mother worked in the sanatorium in the school. This was school term 1949 a long time after the period that was being discussed. When l contacted the school l was told they only held employee records of teachers.   ???
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline Z00tegem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Murrell, It's a long time since I posted this. Grassington School would not have had a sanatorium. However Bradford Corporation ran a Special School in the next village of Linton which had a medical side to it. Between Grassington & Hebden was a Sanatorium, which I think was run by Leeds Health Authority which might be what you are talking about. Let me know which you think it might be & I will see if I have any information for you.

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 12 March 15 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello there really sorry it's Giggleswicks school Santorini l was referring to.
Got myself mixed there.
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline Z00tegem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 12 March 15 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, No problem. If you are on Facebook then the 'Back in Settle' is an interesting group with lots of stuff from the Giggleswick area.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 13 March 15 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi just wanted to say l have found all the talk and pics of Grassington School very interesting.
My maternal grand mother worked in the sanatorium in the school. This was school term 1949 a long time after the period that was being discussed. When l contacted the school l was told they only held employee records of teachers.   ???

There was a sanatorium school 1949

National Archives
ED 32/2034 

Description:

Grassington Sanatorium Hospital Special School

Date:
1948-1951 

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3767407

Other schools in the National Archives for Grassington

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=grassington+school

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline GBlagden

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 18 September 17 09:30 BST (UK) »
So many local names & so many hits on the four posts.

Does nobody have any information on the families from Grassington?

Evelyn Blagden (1906 Dove Holes) and Margery Blagden (1908 Skipton) were my Great Aunts, their brother being Harry Blagden (1914) who is my Grandfather.  Their parents were William Blagden (1883 - Dove Holes) and Martha H Oldfield (1885 - Dove Holes) who married inn 1905.  Martha's brother (their uncle) was William Oldfield (21 Aug 1889). When Martha and William B moved to the Skipton area where William Blagden took up a job as a blacksmith William Oldfield, and his sister, Kate Elizabeth Oldfield, moved with them.  In 1909 Kate married local Grassington man John Henry Darwin (he was the brother of Tom Darwin, who was to volunteer along with William Oldfield.  These are Tunstills men. When William enlisted at Grassington and on his medal card his address is given as Grove House, Grassington. William Oldfield was wounded during the great war and awarded the Military Medal (infor from B Smith who has researched Tunstills Men).  Harry Blagden married Evelyn Ludbrook from Esh in Durham and stayed in Grassington until his death in 1977.