Author Topic: Thomas Andrew Irwin abt 1835-1903 Ireland,Dublin/wicklow  (Read 2960 times)

Offline tedolla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas Andrew Irwin abt 1835-1903 Ireland,Dublin/wicklow
« on: Sunday 29 January 12 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking for birth and marriage details for this person for quite some time and have not come up with very much . what i do know is he married  Bridget payne. On the census 1901 he is from co.wicklow living in dublin his death is dated 26/3/1903 aged 68 which makes his birth abt 1835, His wife died 10/4/1891 aged 61 which makes her birth abt 1830. they lived  around cork street in dublin, he was a silk weaver by trade and was made freeman 12/4/1861 . they seem to have strong connections with st.James's , st catherines and st.nicholas without parishes
 they had 9 children 3 boys and 6 girls
Richard Irwin 1850 – 1860
Sarah Irwin 1852 – 1860
James Irwin 1855 –
Elizabeth Irwin 1857 – 1947
Ann Irwin 1859 – 1935
Alice Irwin 1862 – 1862
Sarah Elizabeth Irwin 1863 – 1956
Alice Irwin 1866 –
Thomas Irwin 1869
i cannot find any more info on Thomas or bridget, plenty on their children, if anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Brian
Dublin/Wicklow/Wexford/Cavan/ Canada/Drogheda

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Andrew Irwin abt 1835-1903 Ireland,Dublin/wicklow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 January 12 21:02 GMT (UK) »
It's worth chasing up the the marriage record for Thomas and Bridget

It may give details on their fathers.... depends on the date and parish

Ideally you would need to know where in Co. Wicklow your Thomas came form to start a search for his baptisms, and the father's name, could help ...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 January 12 21:11 GMT (UK) »
were all the children born in Dublin City ?

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 January 12 21:30 GMT (UK) »
looks like the children baptisms from 1859 on (Ann and Eliza) were in Dublin... haven't located any of the earlier baptisms yet

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline tedolla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 January 12 21:49 GMT (UK) »
the only dates i have for the first three children are their deaths , but i have never found anything about their births, it seemed they dies young , i have know hard evidence of their deaths and the date of their births along with the other children were found on the inside page of an old bible that my late gran came across in her research, all the dates on the page are accurate for the following 6 children so by looking at their age of death and place of death matched with the place of birth of the following children i was able to determine the young death of the first 2 children, but never found a birth cert, i never found a death for the third child James and have found no further info on him, Thomas Andrew was made freeman through Thomas Ivor's this i confirmed in the archives, Thomas Ivor's was a Hugenot ,Thomas Andrew completed his apprenticeship with him and got his freeman cert., ..  a few people have checked around for the marriages and birth and come up blank, for anything around that time in co.wicklow, { the fact that Dublin city is crossed out and co.wicklow put in , on the census 1901 makes me think that that is definitely where he was born but yet there is nobody came up with anything there , , somebody suggested the RCB, but i need a parish to look for first. ,
Dublin/Wicklow/Wexford/Cavan/ Canada/Drogheda

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 10:50 GMT (UK) »
...looking for birth and marriage details for this person for quite some time and have not come up with very much . what i do know is he married  Bridget payne. On the census 1901 he is from co.wicklow living in dublin his death is dated 26/3/1903 aged 68 which makes his birth abt 1835,
Richard Irwin 1850 – 1860

I wonder if the year of birth, i.e. age at death, for Thomas is accurate ?

If he was born c1835 then it means he married before age 15 when his first known child was born.

Also if the marriage between Thomas and Bridget was non-Catholic and after 1845, then it should be in civil records - but I'm not seeing any good matches on the BMD Index. There are a number of Thomas Irwin marriages on the BMD Index before 1850, but none for a Bridget Payne

Re CofI records - most of the surviving records for Dublin City are available on www.irishgenealogy.ie , and they also have some of the south and west county Dublin parishes - e.g. Taney, Clondalkin, Milltown.

Transcripts of a number of the other South county Dublin parishes, plus many of the available Co. Wicklow parishes are available on a pay-website : www.rootsireland.ie  (note : not all the parishes have records back as far as the dates you need for the marriage or baptisms)

I had a quick look at the free Index on that site - but didn't see any matches for a Bridget Payne marriage, or Richard Irwin baptism.

1901 census return for reference : Irwin/Foster/Jameson household

Shane
My Surname Interests