Author Topic: Looking for more on this family... NEW BRUNSWICK  (Read 75859 times)

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great Grandpa William Hillman
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for more on this family... NEW BRUNSWICK
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 19:43 GMT (UK) »
aahh.. now we're on a roll! Thanks PB thats great!  :-*
Doling- Middlesex/London +Hants, Morgan- London/Middlesex +Glouc, Vincent- London/Middlesex, Wambach (+Hamburg & Suffolk), Wadley & Wilkins.<br /><br />NORTHUMBERLAND; English, Huggup & Webster.<br />HANTS; Heath<br /><br />Any census info is crown copywright

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Continuing ....

I wonder if Josephine c/b the Retta with the family in the 1861 and 1871 censuses? The age is about right.

It appears that there is a "Nazaire" alive and well until at least 1865.

These 3 children baptized to "Nazaire" and Susan/Susanna Roi/King are a fairly close match to the 3 in the 1861 and 1871 censuses with Isaiah and Susan. I haven't found any baptisms for children of similar names and ages baptized by other possible Goodine rellies.

I suspect at this point that Isaiah and Nazaire are the same person. This has been mentioned earlier ... there appears to be a bit more now to indicate that this might be the case.

In the final analysis, Penninah, you will have to weigh all the evidence and decide for yourself.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great Grandpa William Hillman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm with you and JJ on this one, I believe it is one and the same person but realise its best to be a little cautious. You're right about the baptisms being good matches on a whole, I will take that for now.
Thank you both again for all your help you have been invaluable on this task!  ;D ;D ;D
Doling- Middlesex/London +Hants, Morgan- London/Middlesex +Glouc, Vincent- London/Middlesex, Wambach (+Hamburg & Suffolk), Wadley & Wilkins.<br /><br />NORTHUMBERLAND; English, Huggup & Webster.<br />HANTS; Heath<br /><br />Any census info is crown copywright

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 20:12 GMT (UK) »
You are very welcome  :). It has been a most interesting hunt.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful work as always, polarbear!...pleasure to work with you again on such a great hunt!

You're very welcome, penninah  :D

The language wasn't enough of a barrier, messing with the surnames and adding dits and phonetics. ( as you see the dits were used interchangeably or fully whenever ) but the first names being for the most part a religious name which they could keep or discard makes these a real search. One was also at the mercy of the religion when it came to baptisms as some priests/parents/selves probably insisted that all religious ceremony, baptism, marriage, funeral, be entered using the saint's name. This helps explain the different names on census and documents, but makes it almost impossible to wholly prove...

Their proximity in census does help, and the fact that we have no other Nazaire Goodine/Godin on census, but Polarbear has happily found you proof that he was indeed having children between the censuses, when he's been thought not to be alive any longer, proves our theory may be correct, but doesn't prove the whole truth. I have seen many other Isaiah Nazairre and Nazairre Isaiah since, so the names seem a popular pairing.

Polarbear and I are cautious these days as we did find someone many years ago who proved to have a duplicate born in the same place, same year. ( but she'd moved on to another Province with family so didn't show up until we found her death record which had only been made available recently...) The thread-owner had gone on to claim the wrong person and dig in to her ancestors, and we were made to feel at fault...thus our disclaimers below... J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 12 February 12 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.

I haven't yet found a death for Nazaire but it appears he might be still alive in 1877 ... a Nazaire Goodine is down as a sponsor at the baptism of an Abraham Vincent Mazarolle, the mother being a Margaret Goodine.

PB

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 12 February 12 20:23 GMT (UK) »
That does all start to add up in our favour, as I said no Nazaire in census only in church documents so were likely asked to use saint's name. Not all parishes were as staunch though, so this wasn't always held up either... Nice of you to keep hunting polarbear...I thought I had sticktoitiveness, but you are like glue!!!

That Margaret hasn't been traced...but she may have been a neice? others looking for her here.
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NewBrunswick/2003-06/1054993535
Here is that *Mazeroll family in 1881...http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/census/household_record.asp?HOUSEHOLD_CODE=1881CN_915264
Margaret may also be using her given ( middle) name on census rather than her saint's name... so that could be their mystery as well...sad that parents weren't given in those marriages...

*another spelling of the name in Hautepok was Myshrall and there were dit variations as well ...David was the son of Jean Mazerolle & **Victoire Godin ...that circle once again...  **father: Joseph Godin dit Bellefontaine
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline MsJunerose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 06 June 14 22:16 BST (UK) »
I know you posting was from Febuary, but I am looking for the Family of Elizabeth (Lizzie) Goodine Spear, She was my Paternal great grand mother... I was wondering if you have any information on her parents and any siblings, and the Genealogy

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 07 June 14 00:18 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat!  :D Just for future reference, you do have a posting on this person, and since you don't know if she belongs to this family... this request isn't linked to this family as yet, so doesn't belong with this post.
I am sure several people will come in and try to help you with the the actual query posting for her, though, I'll post a link...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=689136.msg5330357#msg5330357

Hmmm, I read your post and see someone led you to this thread, but there are a lot of Godine. Goodine in New Brunswick so I have no idea why you were sent here........ you also have a marriage with parent's names ...which you hadn't stated???